Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jonny's ADA 2 tank reef concept

jonny roks

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Jacob042426
I doubt it's the rocks. Theoretically they should have no live anything on them.

It can release phosphates, encouraging algae growth.

Daniel Name

Jonny,

Do you know the red field proportion?

I can't explain correctly because my english is not good enough. But please research about it.

It's a proportion of phosphate and nitrate that keeps the algae away.

If you have more phosphates and the proportion is not balanced, it will grow cyano.

If you have more nitrates, it will grow green algae, hair algae

If it is balanced, it will keep everything ok!

Maybe the reason you have hair algae, it's because you took out too much phosphates!

Bye!

• 3 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

Hey man. I love the tank! I was wondering what the fish list was. Is it 2 occe clowns, a purple firefish, and a blenny in the 12" cube and a fang blenny, a tailspot blenny, and a true perc in the shallow tank? Am I missing anything? I'm wondering if the large bioload is directly responsible for the algae problems.

jonny roks

Hey guys,

An update? hmmm where do i start. First off i lost a few fish during the past few months, been running CPR's new nano reactor with weekly maintenance of GFO changes. Started a fuge and can happily say that both the hair algae and diatom has nearly disappeared.

The crazy part? It disappeared the day after i re introduced Sand and added Chaeto to my fuge. Literally just vanished like 15 hrs later. Strange because i didnt think anything good happens overnight ;) lol.

But i am certainly not in the clear because yesterday, which is 3 weeks after introducing the sand i feel like im starting to see a small diatom outbreak on the surface of the sand.

I Truthfully haven't been paying much attention to the tank besides weekly maintenance. I'm pretty broke these days and can't replace or add any livestock that i have lost [out injured from work]. Its funny, i felt like when i was working the tank received more attention and now that i have more time i find myself putting it off. I love the progress seen when i keep my hands out of this system.

My sps has nearly quadrupled in size and everything else looks absolutely great. Ricordia split 4 times, my rhodactus split, candy canes and dunan have made tons of new heads...etc... but my cap has been periodically bleaching [even though its growing lovely]

For the time being im going to just let it all grow out. Today, i decided to keep my lights off for the day, not sure why but i wont be able to take any photos until tomorrow.

My Livestock List is not really where i want it to be, but everything is happy and healthy. I would love to swap out and add some designer stuff.. but it will have to be in the future when i compile both some money and the tank proves that its stable.

Cube

2 occelarus clowns

Shallow

True Percular baby

1 Purple firefish

1 tailspot blenny

1 md/lrg cleaner shrimp

1 blue nano coral banded

1 pom pom crab

1 Lonely fiddler

Fish i lost all in a week period.

Bangai Cardinal

Smiths Blenny

Dusky Blenny

Was i overstocked? yes and no, i do weekly 25% waterchanges and never saw traces of nitrate. Everything has been very stable, and im a firm believer that nature balances itself out. When im ready to add a new fish, I will do it slowly and see how things react.

jedimasterben

Even though you may see no nitrate, you don't exactly have room for all of the fish you listed. The shallow is 8.5g empty and the cube is 7g empty, not nearly enough room for a banggai in either one, much less with other fish with it, especially when taking into account rock volume.

Rollermonkey

Been catching up on this build... Amazing.

15.5 gallons total? Wow, the pictures make it look enormous! I had thought it had to be at least 40, lol at the noob.

jonny roks

Although i agree with you, please know that i am also running a 24gallon sump and a standard 10 gallon tank both running at approximately 80% filled. Between the two there is around an additional 23-25 gallons...

So, I believe the volume was actually fine for sustaining the bio load and the daily feedings for the time being, but would not be a good idea once the fish became full grown.

I generally don't overstock tanks, but sometimes your eyes are bigger than your head. Heck, I plan to remove this Godzilla Cleaner shrimp along with the clown fish once they grow. When i lost these fish, i lost them simultaneously.

The banghai cardinal was wild caught. I did not expect him to last as long as he did, I bought him without having knowledge of their wild caught reputation of doing poorly in an aquarium. He died and i didnt realize for some days because i was out of town. He polluted the tank pretty bad and im pretty sure it caused my other fish to die because they all died within a 48 hour time period. Even my clowns were looking very poor when i got home.

Banghai cardinals are like clownfish. they barely move. in all of my tanks they generally just hover in one area. either way i probably wouldn't add another. Unless it was a tank raised juvi.

• 1 month later...

Here's an updated photo of the tank. It's getting there. I have had a bunch of up and downs but i am finally seeing some positive results and really enjoying the tank.

Everything has grown out of control. if you look at the birds nest in the left tank it has went from a single stick to a mini colony, many things have multiplied and grown which is great.

Im still doing 5gallon weekly water change and running both GFO and CARBON in separate reactors.

Carbon is changed monthy & GFO every 2 weeks. Gladly most if not all nuisance algae is gone but now i am having issues with Aiptasia and bubble algae lol. I am not skimming.

Like i mentioned above, ive had up and downs. I have lost a bunch of fish over the past few months. They include my Smith blenny,Tailspot Blenny, Dusky Blenny, & cardinal. Its been around a month in a half since a fish has died and I am not sure why. Slowly i will be re introducing some new fish in the upcoming weeks.

Some corals aren't open and some are just there for the time being as fillers. I'm doing some heavy shopping in the upcoming weeks so look for photos!

photo-16-2.jpg

Deleted User 4

Nice update Johnny!! I'd like to see some closeup shots of the corals growth as it seems it have since the last batch of photos to this new fts.

1-5.png

1-6.png

If you look you can see my superman rhodactus split, you can also see the caps growth, along with my 4 candy canes going to 8 heads.

ill upload some more now, I'm using my iphone and dont have a transfer cable handy. Give me a few and ill update this post with more

Thanks hype, its getting there. i still have so much juggling too do. Most of the stuff in here is fillers. So many people give me free stuff that are great fillers but nothing i ultimately want in the tank. Gotta spend the money for that stuff lol.

Pictures do not do this tank justice, its so vibrant and beautiful to see in person. soon [i keep saying this] i will get a professional camera and take some shots.

This week i added some higher end stuff - lol Sunset monti, some chalice and even began fragging stuff. Small tanks are great but need to be planned accordingly. lol

my upcomming purchases

Acans

Zoos

Maxi Mini carpet

SPS!SPS!SPS!

jedimasterben

Your tank is looking more and more fabulous, sir!

But as far as you losing your fish, while I feel bad that you lost them, I stand by my original thought - there's just not physically enough room for them to all establish their territories in such little volume, especially the shallow tank. Though some fish don't move much, they will still stress out if they don't have any room, or are in close proximity to another. Even clownfish need at least 10 gallons for a single, and I'd say 15g for a pair - even if they have a host anemone and don't venture far from it.

Fish are a many funny thing, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around several species I like, though I know I will continue to learn new things about them.

The one large male blue fiddler somehow escaped into my overflow while i was away. I really do not know how, i have 1/4 mesh over it. He went down the drain into the sump and escaped into my stand and died. He was Stunning looking and im not sure if ill ever be able to find another.

I think i have 1, maybe 2 Red Females left but don't imagine them lasting the full year. I would only reintroduce Fiddlers if i was to manipulate their habitat better with some sort of outside sandbox. In my setup there just isn't enough outside crevices for them to feel comfortable. The males try to escape all day long and the females kind stay hidden or out of site until nighttime. Since i don't have an outside sandbox many of them ended up spending most of the time inside the water for hiding and eventually just found them dead 1 by 1.

I would leave food outside for them overnight on the waterfalls edges and most of the time they would ignore it and simply eat the algae growing on the fall.

I have so many things i want to implement/change but i just really never get around to it because of lack of time or help. I still want to break out the dremmel and customize the waterfall section a little more to my liking. Ill probably do it when i move in the upcoming months.

This week im going to attempt to modify this horribly designed deep blue stand by removing this ugly center piece and adding some 2x2s for support. Introducing 10 mangroves, a Tananka Wrasse and a Royal Grammar.

Archived