Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

There are other treatments for cyano such as boys chemi clean

And better tank current, manual removal/siphon

Extreme water nutrient stripping is common gfo, biopellets

if you feel its cyano those are the common treatments you will find on any Web search for cyano treatments

I choose to use peroxide to kill all of them but its with detailed work and spot treatments.

It seemed like your tank dosing had it bubbling but you reported no dieoff

so to concentrate it is the next step if you are going to use peroxide. I don't recommend using a stronger dose in tank, this was a safe level for the fish and corals

Right I was asking if you feel it's cyano. My level of experience compared to most here is minimal so I'm asking for your opinion.

I say they are string diatoms but id is not that important, taking the rocks out and scrubbing it off or spot treating them is what matters

other methods have been discussed as well, it takes a while to read all the pages but the practices are in there.

that organism is not firmly attached to the rocks, so it can be removed totally from your tank with the work mentioned. Several water changes, physically scrubbing it out of your tank. take out rocks and place peroxide right on the target, wait 2 mins, rinse and re install. worry about the growth on the tank and in the substrate thats been there for weeks after we treat the rocks, taking it a step at a time. At the very least you can take out a rock and scrub it clean with a brush in another container, removing as much physical mass as possible, then there is less to retreat when it grows back and we use a direct kill method.

Its time to spot treat all your rocks you can lift out of the tank/physically remove as much as you can in a separate bucket of saltwater etc

treating the tank while full, although it seemed to have an initial effect, isn't working so we need to switch.

if it is cyano it is still physically removed easily with work, a good two hour cleaning run, and will be directly killed by peroxide as a spot treatment too. it will take a lot of work to fix what was allowed to proliferate. going forward, allow no spots to exist, remove them like this as soon as you see them.

This is one of the hardest invaders I know of to get out of a tank. A furious bryopsis, gelidium and hair algae invasion would be preferable and easier to treat.

Edited by brandon429

Over Christmas while I was away, my tank got over run with green hair algae

At the moment I dont have a Di on my RODI and getting close to the end of life of my Purigen/Chemipure , The algae really got hold of my system

My polyps were not even opening any where on the rock below,

what I did

1) Took the rock out spot treated the algae with 6% for 1 minute

2)spot treated again with 3% for 4 minutes

3) Rinsed in sw

4) Put back into Tank

No problems in the Tank so Far, Anemone closed up for while

But crystal clear water afterwards (Snails/corals/Fish/Anenome) All fine

IMG_0979.jpg

3 Days After

IMG_0996.jpg

Ok so tonight I dosed 30 ml into my 24 gallon.

This had as far as I can tell A big affect this time.

The fish and clean up crew are fine.

The coral is already opening up more than it has in awhile only 2 hours later. ( used to be covered in string dinos)

I will report further results as I have them.

I just do not have time to scroll through all of this. I have red brush algae i believe and i was wondering if the peroxide dips will help control this? I was going to try it on two rocks with zoanthids and the brush algae today after my water change.

Yes it will

Take before pics

Take out bad rocks, apply peroxide right to the algae

Let stand 3 Mins

Rinse, put back in tank

Take follow up pics in five days that's how long red algae takes to die

Post pics here pls!

Edited by brandon429
Yes it will

Take before pics

Take out bad rocks, apply peroxide right to the algae

Let stand 3 Mins

Rinse, put back in tank

Take follow up pics in five days that's how long red algae takes to die

Post pics here pls!

Unfortunately I cannot go the route of direct application because the rocks have quite nice looking zoanthids on them. How about a 3 minute dip in 5 gallons of water with 1 cup of H202 added? I plan on continuing this dipping method at every water change until I see some progress.

Could direct application take care of bubble algae if the rock can be removed? I have some areas that I cannot stop popping and I want the spores to not be released in my tank!!!

Edited by matt frizz

Yes it will kill all known pests of plant or diatom origin

how are the zoanthids preventing a spot treatment? In the early pages of the thread Newman spot dosed around some no problem. A target treatment is best, its the least stressful to the live rock around the target

Yes it will kill all known pests of plant or diatom origin

how are the zoanthids preventing a spot treatment? In the early pages of the thread Newman spot dosed around some no problem. A target treatment is best, its the least stressful to the live rock around the target

I'm not too worried about stressing the live rock. It's only 2 small/med size pieces out of 100lbs of rock. Something about directly applying hydrogen peroxide to zoanthids doesn't sit right w/ me. I'll try the dip first to be safe....

There's no way for me to avoid the zoanthids they cover the rock and are pretty nice. I'm not risking it sorry.

So here's what i did. I compromised for the sake of research. I have two rocks with zoanthids so i took them on a three minute dip with 2/3 a cup of H202 in 5 gallons. Halfway through the dip on the second rock i changed my mind and did a direct application. I took before pictures by the way, I'll upload from my iPhone in a few minutes.

I also had a branch rock with sunset montipora that that has hydroids/bubble algae/red brush algae on it. I coated the all the branches except where the monti is (that woulda been bad lol) and let it sit for 3 minutes or so (maybe a little bit less, I get sketchy when letting SPS sit out of water). We'll see if peroxide can kill hydroids also in this experiment.

So these three pieces will be my tests, if all goes well there will be more spot treatment in the future. I'll keep you guys updated.

EDIT:

Here is the rock that i chose to spot treat, the brush algae is WAY worse than the picture looks. It's all over one. I believe that this rock is the one that brought it into the tank.

IMG_0150.jpg

This one got the dip only.

IMG_0151.jpg

Edited by matt frizz

I had a rock of Zoanthids that had mad algea sprouting up between all the heads and I could never get my fat fingers in there to pry it off, so after reading this thread I decided to try peroxide. I pulled the rock out and dipped it in 50/50 saltwater/peroxide for 3 minutes, then rinsed in SW. While in the dip the corals closed up and it fizzed like crazy. After rinse i replaced in tank and shut off the lights for the night.

Woke up the next morning and there was not one string of algae to be found anywhere but in my filter floss. One week later still no sign of it returning. I will post pick of current look soon as i find my camera.

post-71916-1329255157_thumb.jpg

post-71916-1329255163_thumb.jpg

patrick it looks like a few different kinds of algae inhabit that rock

I bet it cleans them just fine

this is a new treatment thread that doesn't even have an outcome yet, just starting the rounds

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3739292

bishop is treating a tank with an anemone, should be a great outcome pic approaching

Edited by brandon429

wish I had take before pics of my tank but I dosed lightly when this thread 1st started and it definitley helped me out with some mean algae issues before I bought my own RO/DI and I use to get it from my LFS. I dosed about 4 ml a day for a week straight into the tank and it didnt affect anything in the tank except my acans closed up for a day or two.

I don't think the dip was strong enough yet on the rock that I only dipped. The one that got the spot treatment is definitely clearing up. I'll probably re-dip the first rock in a 50/50 solution in the next week if it's not clearing up after a week total.

Hey guys,

I jumped on the bandwagon with this one. I am new to the reef world and had posted pics of an inhabitant that I wanted an ID on and one of the members mentioned that I had some nasty red algae on a couple pieces of live rock that would be a pain to get rid of. Currently I only have 2 turbos, 2 blue legged hermits, 2 ceriths, 2 astreas, and 5 Nassarius snails. There is a few bristle worms cruising around a night time, and I also have 2 sea hares that came on the live rock, one larger one and one very small baby.

Fast forward to after the cycle, my CUC has cleaned up my tank pretty good of all green algae, however they don't seem to be too interested in the red wire algae (checked into it and this is what I have). So, yesterday I picked up some 3% peroxide and did a ~ 40/60 peroxide to SW dip on one piece and let it soak for about 4 minutes. It did sizzle a bit, and I opted not to rinse it and put it in the tank (sort of dosing the rest of the system with the residual peroxide on it). There was also another much smaller piece that was covered in it as well, so I put it in the same 40/60 solution, however I did take it out and pour directly over it and keep it suspended for about a minute and then submerged it back in the 40/60 for 3-4 minutes. Same action, sizzling. Once I put both pieces back into the tank, they were bubbling pretty good, but it was late last night and I had to work today so I'm unsure of how long they bubbled for. I'm also going to keep the lights out for a couple days.

I will post a before pic when I get home, and then when I begin to see some action (hopefully...lol)

excellent! thank you for contributing to our giant thread+

the progression with red wire algae includes the tips turning hot pink in the first 2 days and death within 5 days

depending on the dilution it could take a day or 2 longer

but either way you just beat the red wire algae in your tank! thanks for the pics

Nice to meet you

B