ReefCleaners.org

Does anybody know?

04V10

Hey guys,

What the heck is this thing? It just popped up 2 days ago and seems to be getting bigger. It does hide at night. Also, my params are kind of harsh right now.

ammonia 8+ppm

Nitrite 5ppm +

Nitrate 20ppm.

*note: this tank is brand new and is a week into its cycle. This is a hitchhiker *

post-71687-1328306482_thumb.jpg

Are you referring to that bluish purple polyp looking thing? Kind of looks like a baby zoa starting up. Zoas usually close up at night though.

Yeah that bluish purple thing. That'd be cool if it is. I currently have 2 zoos on another spot, however they are kind of ugly, brownish pukey color. Lol

ammonia 8+ppm

Nitrite 5ppm +

Nitrate 20ppm = JUST WOW. Is this a NEW tank? Its still cycling?

...obviously? If you're just gonna be a dick, don't do it around here. This is a new tank and these are hitchhikers.

It may be a zoa. Might be a nem.. have to wait until it gets a bit bigger to tell.

If you're just gonna be a dick, don't do it around here.

I don't think he was trying to be a dick. Just exclaiming what a cycle he has.

I'm not confident enough to comment on your params yet. However, I have had zoas pull through my cycling period, along with a small gobi. Your nitrates look as if they are within a safe range. Mine on the other hand are quite high. I finally, just minutes ago, installed another power head that I have been procrastinating over. Hopefully this will help out.

I don't think he was trying to be a dick. Just exclaiming what a cycle he has.

eh.. pretty sure he was criticizing him for having coral in the tank with such ####ty params.

This is evidenced by asking "is it still cycling"

Either way, back on track!

My tank has been cycling for exactly a week today, and in the last 3 days I've started seeing some reactions between the parameters. It's funny when something like that is exciting. Lol

Edited my first post so people don't think I'm abusive to my tank inhabitants. Lol

• 4 weeks later...

GET RID OF THE RED SPIRAL ALGAE WITH PEROXIDE NOW!! Seriously, it get's out of control. Not now, not this year, maybe not even next year but in time it will. I'm battling it now and trying to stop it from spreading. Also do not buy any corals/rocks with that stuff on it.

I currently have a starry blenny eating it, small crabs, and I'm spraying the rock with peroxide. Check page 4 of my tank thread and there are pics of two rocks that I'm dosing now. You can see how much it grows and how it can start to suffocate corals. I'm not worried about mine personally because I'm dealing with it appropriately but I'm telling you, take care of it now.

...obviously? If you're just gonna be a dick, don't do it around here. This is a new tank and these are hitchhikers.

It may be a zoa. Might be a nem.. have to wait until it gets a bit bigger to tell.

Hi. No I was not being rude!! I was just suprised about how high the test results where. I do however thank you for asking. what my intent was. As like most ppl on here. I would like to actually help people discover there tanks. new and old. No im not shocked that there may be a hitch hiker on some rock. Its not un common. Im actually glad someone got into a hobby and is asking questions at all. many ppl wont. Ill take ur advise tho XRIS and I will withdraw my comment. However in return Id need to ask that perhaps, before you start calling ppl names. ask why they said, what they said!!

IBALL Thank you for your comment on here!!!

OP I wish you great happyness with your reef. I do hope your cycle goes smoothly and as always that you find some nice good and fun hithikers. Good luck!!!

When in doubt; Ask!

Archived