Cultivated Reef

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

I did a virtual backflip really the pics are sweet. they document the spot treatment perfectly I w link back to this page so some other threads can see it too.

B

Thanks! I'm sure I can take more pics as I am certain I will have to treat again on spots I missed.

I also did a 10g water change and will do a 10g water change whenever I treat.

I only pulled the rock from the tank bc the gha was on the lower part of the rock.

sounds very easy to spot treat and only apply to the shell if you can lift out the clam.

I don't recall any tanks offhand that had clams and were dosing peroxide, thats a worthy search. it will close up as its lifted out and be easy to target right on the algae, its also possible to use conventional methods and not risk it. peroxide is very handy but its just an optional way to combat algae among many.

Edited by brandon429

Pictures of Simon's tank from RC thread

stunning before and after pictures of a 50/50 3% dip for 3 mins

he treated a giant colony of algae infested seriatopora with this dip but Im almost out of posting space online lol have to go back and delete some old pics somewhere.

thanks for letting me use the pics to show your success w the dip.

post-138-1325974754_thumb.jpg

post-138-1325974773_thumb.jpg

So I may have missed reading through the last 27 pages. Has it been considered safe to dose in a tank that has mangroves in it? Or will they be affected ?

We have no data on mangrove use. my prediction is it won't hurt it. to sum up the last 27 pages only add the peroxide directly to the target algae when the tank is drained, or the target is lifted out of the water, let sit for 2 mins under treatment and then rinse/refill. the best way to ensure success with your mangrove is don't add it to the water the plant lives in.

Dosing the whole tank is the easiest method, and carries some risk that emersed spot treating does not have.

Hey thanks for the ultra quick reply brandon. I will try the drain spray refill method later this week. I can already know it should do the trick as so many in this thread have proven it to work well. A++++ to everyone who pioneered this and learned and shared through trial and error. The learning never stops in this hobby/ passion. Over the years I myself have found our little glass boxes to be pretty forgiving in most cases thankfully, even as recently when my daughter decided the fishes need a cup of milk!!!! :lol:

how cute is that! I actually think milk would be harmless, can think of alot worse. Just a big water change, maybe another tomorrow, then its fine but thats funny.

please post before and after pics we don't get enough of those, its the only thing that really works. I appreciate ReefMiser showing its use in nano reefs and taking the plunge, everyone was too scared before that.

ReefMiser I really think your thread w get 100K by eoy

LOL for future refrence it curdles, or gels might be better description when dumped in so it was quick to clean up with a turkey baster!!! Just glad I was standing nearby when it happened. But little lego guys I can't count how many times I have found them exploring there way around the tank. And the usual nerf dart that gets miss fired.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahahaha that's what happened to my dinoflagellates (idiots)... have a look!

The stuff I wanted dead

post-67430-1327519051_thumb.jpg

post-67430-1327519393_thumb.jpg

post-67430-1327519419_thumb.jpg

post-67430-1327519449_thumb.jpg

(I don't want this to die... just the stuff growing on it)

Equipment that brought about it's death

H2O2

post-67430-1327519093_thumb.jpg

Pipettes

post-67430-1327519131_thumb.jpg

Seagel

post-67430-1327519750_thumb.jpg

Filter Floss

post-67430-1327519805_thumb.jpg

Three days after the bubbly slaughter

post-67430-1327519338_thumb.jpg

post-67430-1327519355_thumb.jpg

I have yet to try my feather duster worm and my birds nest.... but will post pictures when I dare...

I understand that H2O2 is not a magic algae cure (lol it pure is) and that better water husbandry on my part should be strived for (my R/O unit broke over xmas - no water change in a skimmerless 10g tank for about 2 weeks = bad ass algae infestation. Also I ran out of activated carbon and filter floss... christmas was Q.U. hectic.)

Oh but during christmas I got a present from my clownfish!

post-67430-1327519953_thumb.jpg

The hammer is far too small for his girlfriend (she's a b1tch anyway) so I think they got a divorce...

I have yet to try my feather duster worm and my birds nest.... but will post pictures when I dare...

Wanna see the after pics of the birds nest with details when your up to it as I have a similar, but more advanced issue.

IMG_3475.jpg

I wanted to state that the second application worked great. I removed rocks and frag plugs and applied undiluted h2o2 with qtip. Next day the algae was discolored and by the second day it was disappearing.

Now the tank looks acceptable. I have done some preventative measures for the future. Raised the light and adjusted lighting duration. Also bought 10 blue hermits who are busy at work. It think that with the 35g shallow display It had just too much light hitting it. There is only 7" of water. This is first time working with t5s.

Algae is gone from rocks and plugs.

Thank you to everyone in this thread!

Kevin

Edited by kevlow

Glad to hear that it worked for you! I know that it isn't a substitute for good water chemistry/husbandry, but it is a nice tool to use when things slip out of control and you need to get them back on track.

It is indeed! everyone has slip ups and even with good water husbandry algae can take hold and in a nano tank even a small bit of algae can be pretty annoying and nasty.

I'll dip my birdsnest at the weekend and post results. Fingers crossed!

Good Luck!

Mojorizn I did my birdsnest today! here's what I did:

10% water change - saved this in a bucket

put my birdsnest coral in the water in the bucket

mixed a 1 part H2O2 to 4 part tank water solution in a 2ml sterile container

then using a pipette I slowly applied the solution onto the infected areas of the coral

I then waited about 5 mins (listened to Young Pilgrims and Pink Bullets by The Shins)

swished the rock about in the water (being careful not to break any branches)

and then replaced into tank

There was bubbling (but not a lot) of the algae and some bits have gone white.

The coral itself looks like it did before I did the treatment (which wasn't too great anyway) will update in 3 days once the effects have been monitored. To early to tell if it worked or not.

don't know if Ive posted this earlier but blastomussa merletti and isaurus tuberculatus in my tank have both had straight 3% put right on them, whole polyp submersion while algae around them cooked and nothing happened to the corals they didn't even react. My caulastrea/candy coral has also had straight 3% accidentally dripped, and pooled, inside the corallite of upward-facing candy coral for 2 mins straight and also suffered no harm. It seems caulastrea isn't as consistent with peroxide across tanks like so many other corals we are listing, in Simon's tank from the ReefCentral thread his candy coral bubbled, looked burned for a short time after a diluted run.

at least we are compiling somewhat of a reliable list for coral tolerances, the more before and after pics the better for the thread.

I've used peroxide (3% undiluted) on my clams. I have a large crocea and a large maxima. Took the clams out of my tank, used a syringe to run the peroxide onto the shell on each side. Maybe 20 seconds per side, so 40 seconds total for each clam.

Algae is gone on the shell of the clams, no ill effects noted. Clams were opened up and happy within a couple hours. This was done about 2 weeks ago, and things are still looking great.