Top Shelf Aquatics

My Sexy LED Birthday Pico!

brandolando4

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brandolando4

Literally love that light, best purchase I have made in this hobby by far! The only downside is that I'm not addicted to LEDs. So my wallet is sad because I have to buy LEDs for my big tank;(

It makes every color in the tank look neon!!

My plan was to put all livestock in a bucket. Then take everything out!! And replace with sand!! I was hoping that would minimize too much detritus from being kicked up!! And I'm going to keep five gallons Of water made to change daily!!

Sounds good. I would allow the stock fluval filter to run for a while before you add anything back into the tank. Just to polish the water. Then change the filter media.

Drift Monkey
Literally love that light, best purchase I have made in this hobby by far! The only downside is that I'm not addicted to LEDs. So my wallet is sad because I have to buy LEDs for my big tank;(

It makes every color in the tank look neon!!

You're NOT addicted to LEDS? :o Denial!

SexiestShrimp

sexys are awesome! I watched mine laying orange eggs the other day, it was super trippy! All kinds of booty shaking and egg ripping lol! None will survive... dual mp10es are far to powerful, at least the fish got a good healthy snack =D

Your tank's looking nice!

More pics!

dear lord, black sand scratches are the worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ruined my nano cube 28

Monochrome5
Is all black sand like that??? I wish someone told me black sand was bad, I don't understand why someone would make magnetic marine sand!!

I was planning on buying some normal sand from my store and using half that and half sand from my bif tank. If i did this could i just get rid of the black sand all at once??

Ouch. That sucks. Black sand is volcanic in nature and almost always magnetic. It has to do with the basalt forming so fast when lava hits water that all of the magnetic particles inside are aligned a certain way. They use the patters (striations) to age sea floor and document sea floor spreading.

Anyway, my black sand isn't as magnetic... A few of the larger pieces wiggle when the nano-mag passes by, but the bulk of it stays put. I've got plenty left if you want me to send you some? Only downfall is that it doesn't look as spiffy as the pure black sand does... More of an oreo cookie look to it.

PS: They don't make (most) sand... it's natural. Nature makes it.

brandolando4

When I said made, I meant packaged and sold!!;) thanks for the science behind the black sand!!

Let me look at your thread to decide if I like ur sand and If I do I'll send u a pm!!

And I'm going to post alot more pictures in a couple days, Saturday my gf is taking me on my shopping spree!! So I'll add pics then!!

I'm literally jonesing for LEDs for my big tank!!

Sexys are awesome I'm thinking about giving them a mini maxi friend and a porcelain crab buddy!!

ive got black sand(magnetic) and i dont have a problem with the mag-float.

i love my black sand...just gets a big dirty at times.

Monochrome5
Ok because john was saying magnetic cand could do that and i got frightened!!

It's possible it does then... John probably knows a lot more about sand than me haha. I've never heard anything about leeching in black sand though. My guess is that the bigger particles may break easier and release something, though I honestly can't think of what. Volcanic rock is well known for being relatively clean of impurities (which is why they use volcanic ash at spas so often). Maybe it could leech sulfur? I dunno. Let me throw an email out to Doc Sautter, the head geologist for Oceanica, and see what she thinks.

brandolando4

Decided to leave the black sand and just let the cuc get the lower parts of the sand!! The mini maxi nem is moving to a stupid place and i hate it!! i hope he moves somewhere nicer!!

Drift Monkey
Decided to leave the black sand and just let the cuc get the lower parts of the sand!! The mini maxi nem is moving to a stupid place and i hate it!! i hope he moves somewhere nicer!!

Where did he move?

brandolando4

Ill post a picture in a little while! On a good note i was looking at the hammer and it is totally growing like 4 new tiny little heads!!

brandolando4

Ok here are the pictures I promised!!

Tank FTS!!

photo3-4.jpg

New clown goby, I hope he lives. He doesn't look to good;(

photo2-3.jpg

Mr. Krabbs

photo1-4.jpg

Blue Ric and Pissed off red Shroom

photo5.jpg

The first Coral I ever fragged!!

photo4.jpg

My Shrimp chillin!! And some Pulsing Xenia

photo3-3.jpg

All My Zoas!!

photo2-2.jpg

My stupid Nem, decided to hang out here;( (i have to go and buy another one!!)

photo1-3.jpg

then watch your other one crawl into that same corner lol.

Everything looks nice!

that goby has ich from all the stress though. did you buy him like that?

brandolando4

No he had no specs when i bought him. He was fat and swimming around. However he wasnt eating..but none of the gobies were eating so i assumed they just ate that morning.

I hope he makes it

I hope not, they are 80 degree optics and its a little over 8in. above the water!

Archived