SaltCritters.com

My Sexy LED Birthday Pico!

brandolando4

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brandolando4

Ok so i added some of my zoas from my other tank to this tank. I also got a better cuc today.

1 Astrea

2 Nerites

1 red legged hermit (I think)

1 Nassarius snail

Fabio and Angelina Jolie the sexy shrimp!

photo2.jpg

Rasta Zoa's?? I think

photo3-1.jpg

And a pic of my ghetto media rack, now with Chemipure elite, thanks Stevie T!!

photo1-1.jpg

1st Chamber Filter Floss

2nd CHamber Chemipure elite

3rd chamber bag of clay things for bacteria to grow on, and some LR rubble.

So i havent seen the third sexy shrimp all day, is it normal for two to hang out and the other to be shunned??

And what can I add to the third rack that will be better then the LR Rubble?

How often should I feed sexy shrimp??

everyday probably. you want to feed them enough so they wont pick at your corals. pay attn to your zoa skirts. if they look beat up feed them more.

yes those are eagle eyes or watermelons, w/e you feel like calling them. its the most prominent zoa in my pico. they grow great.

brandolando4

Ok so I was looking at my sexy's and they are hanging out on the orange ric alot, do they eat rics?

brandolando4

That's what I assumed, but I wasn't too what sexy look like hen they are eating so I was concerned!

you may want to get them a maxi mini nem. its one more way to keep them fed because they will not only try to host it, they will also eat the mucus slime off it. just make sure to keep the maxi mini nem and the shrimp well fed so that the maxi nem doesnt run out of gas.

brandolando4

I'm picking a nem up this weekend as a matter of fact!! When you say keep the nem well fed do u mean feed it 2 times a week with some mysis??

brandolando4

Lol, ok!! With the mini maxi in the tank will I have to feed the sexy's daily still??

I would think so...unless you see that your are overfeeding and the corals start acting up as a result of phosphates or nitrates getting too high in between water changes.

brandolando4

Hey, so over the past couple of days i haven't been able to scrub my glass, because apparently my sand is magnetic, and sticks to the nanomag and scratches the glass. John from reef cleaners told me this is really bad, so tomorrow i have to break down the tank and get rid of all this sand!!

SON OF A BEOTCH

Drift Monkey
Hey, so over the past couple of days i haven't been able to scrub my glass, because apparently my sand is magnetic, and sticks to the nanomag and scratches the glass. John from reef cleaners told me this is really bad, so tomorrow i have to break down the tank and get rid of all this sand!!

SON OF A BEOTCH

Ah, the fatal "black sand" mistake. :o Many of us have been there...

Siphon it out a bit at a time...

brandolando4

Is all black sand like that??? I wish someone told me black sand was bad, I don't understand why someone would make magnetic marine sand!!

I was planning on buying some normal sand from my store and using half that and half sand from my bif tank. If i did this could i just get rid of the black sand all at once??

Drift Monkey
Is all black sand like that??? I wish someone told me black sand was bad, I don't understand why someone would make magnetic marine sand!!

I was planning on buying some normal sand from my store and using half that and half sand from my bif tank. If i did this could i just get rid of the black sand all at once??

Not all from what I hear...some have decent luck with some black sands.

As long as you don't 'cause a mini cycle it should be fine.

Black sand is magnetic because of the metals it contains. It wasn't man-made to be magnetic.

I don't want to sound harsh, but you seem to be moving really quickly with this tank. Reef tanks take time and a lot of patience. The more you have, the better off your results will be. Each change you make to the tank can make a huge difference to all of the livestock.

When you take out the sand and replace it with new sand, be sure to do a very thorough water change. You are going to stir up a lot of detritus from the sand bed that could put you through a mini-cycle. Mitigate that risk by changing the water during the sand change, and then again a day or so later.

You can use half and half, but just remember when you stir up the other sand, you're going to release more detritus. I'd say you're better off just replacing it with fresh sand and doing more water changes. Test your water too. You don't want to risk losing all that livestock you've introduced.

brandolando4

My plan was to put all livestock in a bucket. Then take everything out!! And replace with sand!! I was hoping that would minimize too much detritus from being kicked up!! And I'm going to keep five gallons Of water made to change daily!!

Archived