Coral Vue Hydros

My Sexy LED Birthday Pico!

brandolando4

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brandolando4

I agree, hey yoshi, will the boost led par30 bulb with 60 degrees be ok?! Its cheaper, or is 60 degrees to narrow?!

brandolando4

Ive never gone through a real cycle. Is my levels being off the charts, something that i should worry about?? lIke each test except trate was as dark as possible

and also how big to plate corals get? Too big for this tank?? Will it eat my sexy shrimp?? I hear the have a powerful sting..

prob could keep a plate.. not sure though. the params off the chart are indicating you are cycling. i would steer away from any stony coral until your tank is more mature.

brandolando4

right of course, just curious for done the line.

ok from what i have read of cycling i didn't know there would be concentrations that hint of ammonia and d nitrite. i thought the spikes would be littler.

thanks jdl

brandolando4

ammonia is down, however nitrite is 5 ppm

and nitrate is 80-160ppm

that seems really high.....

now that that is over, I'd do some changes to get the nitrates down to 10 or below. must be below 20 before you add anything. then I'd start with an appropriate CUC and keep that going until you see perfect params for a few weeks.

brandolando4

I was thinking of stocking soonish as in a week and a half when I get home from spring break with 3 sexies, what other inverts can I get? Porcalien crab? Bumblee shrimp?! Any other cool invert suggestions for this tank!?

i hope jdl answers no. cuz i plan on adding sexies to my pico and i already have an emerald. mine does pick on my hermit whenever the hermit gets food first lol.

brandolando4

me too, but if an emarald picks on them , hopefully a porcealian wont.. does anyone have any other good invertabrate ideas?????? i want a lot of inverts!! i like them

I was reading my issue of corral magazine from last month and they have the blue banded coral shrimp which are really small, but idk if they are small enough for this tank or if they would pick at other stuff.

will an emerald pick on sexies???

Id go with the porcelain (there are some pretty awesome varieties), definitely safer than the emerald and IMO cooler than sexys or emeralds anyway

not really the emerald is much more useful than both of those combined lol. but yes porcelain is safer by a long shot.

3 sexies and 1 porcelain would be pushing the tank considering how much food you have to put in the water: pellets for shrimp and small particulate food for porcelain.or very small pellets for both. Life spectrum food makes a small fish formula which is good. i feed it to my clowns and i see that all my corals can eat it as well.

brandolando4

Really cuz andrew wk, has roughly the same size tank and he has a ton of crap in his!!

I'm suggesting what you can do to stay safe. its likely that crowded tanks have seen some deaths because of over-crowding.

try out, you mean?

btw it all depends on what kind of look you like. if you like to put a bunch of stuff in the tank, it might look real good, who knows. But things can grow in real fast and encroach on each other. there is the risk of more problems with crowding. if you like a simple tank, you could pick livestock that is scaled to the tank you have (meaning no damsels and big stuff like that) that goes for corals too. try to pick ones that will look good in the small amount of water you have. You should also try to choose animals as permanent residents for the tank. corals can be fragged but clowns can't so try to pick an inhabitant that wont outgrow the tank and will have to be moved out in the future. )ie. clowns, damsels, any goby larger than 1" or so)

I would go with the boostled par30. With 40 degree optics. 3Rb 2w. I got 2 for my 5.5g and it is awesome. Love the colors. I just posted my par levels. At 19 inches above the sand bed there is plenty of light.

nothing will mess with the sexies. they will rule the tank usually. even with my super aggressive damsel, it gave way to the sexies no matter what. i have seen the periclimenes (anemone shrimp), go after the sexies or fend them off during feedings.

also everything newman said above is spot on. if you want to have a successful pico patience is a virtue. i waited over 3 months until i really started stocking corals. after a month of the intro of your cuc, get one or two small frags that are cheap, and really appeal to you. something you really enjoy watching develop and hopefully reproduce. then add two more after a month. jamming tanks full of stuff early could work, but the margin for error is slim to none. the chips are already stacked against you being a pico. proper planning is key.

brandolando4

sweet, im curious how much are sexies where you guys are from? Cuz i have hear people hae bought them for 7 dollars a shrimp, iat my lfs they are 20 dollars a shrimp.

i already ordered the par 30 from rapid led with 80 degree optics

20 per shrimp is ridiculous imo. i do however live in an area that has them on the reg. location could be why, but i would not pay more than 10 per shrimp. even that seems high to me.

Archived