Cultivated Reef

My Sexy LED Birthday Pico!

brandolando4

brandolando4

hmmmm, i wonder if someone can buy them for me..... does anywhere online sell them cheap? besides petco? i was really dreading the fact that i had to pay 60 dollars for a trio of sexy shrimp, and i was reading around and was flabbergasted to fins them as low as 7 dollars a shrimp.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wait until it warms up wherever you are and they might get cheaper? i dont know how the whole "winter cold" thing works really.

lol

well yes in my area they are also expensive. I bet they are about 16 dollars at my LFS. and its not even a petco or anything its a respectable all-aquatics LFS. I see them online at $10 on liveaquaria. But I'd only buy mine when i need to buy more than the sexy shrimp.

brandolando4

This sucks.... I hate Colorado!!

So I take it reefs2go.com sucks because they have sexies for cheap, anywhere else people kno where Roger them?!

Where in colorado are you? Have you ever went to elite reef? I got my sexies for $12.99 each. If you plan on having zoas in your tank you might want to reconsider the sexies. Not everyone has had bad luck with them eating there zoa skirts or nipping at their corals but i was feeding my sexies twice a day and they still took out one of my colonies of zoas. I absolutely love them but i ended up moving them to my gf's tank. Take a look at porcelains and maybe even a pom pom crab. That is probably what i will get next once i upgrade to a bigger tank.

brandolando4

I prolly will still clear of zoas then:D I live in fort Collins, where is the place u were talking about? And where do you live?????

Elite reef is down in the westminster area. I live in Thornton so i have no idea of any lfs's in fo co. Just make sure you keep them well fed cause i caught them picking at my blastos a couple times as well.

brandolando4

Hmmmm. Westminster I'm from Hawaii so I have no idea where that is, however I do drive down state to highlands ranch occasionally, (gfs family lives there) is this store on the way down???

I'd really like to see other lfs!!!!

Hmmmm. Westminster I'm from Hawaii so I have no idea where that is, however I do drive down state to highlands ranch occasionally, (gfs family lives there) is this store on the way down???

I'd really like to see other lfs!!!!

Elite reef is my favorite lfs. I wouldnt say its on the way to highlands ranch its actually farther west. If you have ever been to boulder co its on the way there. I am actually getting a part time job there soon which i cannot wait for. PM me and I can tell you where more stores are.

brandolando4

Hey, so Im home, the person that took care of my tank did a terrible job, oo well it's all clean!! I got some crags in the tank to test out the the new par 30, and I got 3 sexies too!!! I also four the perfect light fixture at a second hand store for 4 dollars!! It's heavy and metal and screws into place it works great!!!

brandolando4

Ok here are the pictures!!

ugly 5 dollar zoas, i used to test lights!!

post-61368-1300656333_thumb.jpg

GSP!!

post-61368-1300656397_thumb.jpg

Green and purple hammer!!

post-61368-1300656414_thumb.jpg

Lamp fixture i found!!

post-61368-1300656448_thumb.jpg

Sexies getting acclimated!!

post-61368-1300656496_thumb.jpg

Sexies swimming, they are still frightened!!

post-61368-1300656580_thumb.jpg

Full tank shot

post-61368-1300656658_thumb.jpg

that damsel is there to help build build up the bacteria while i was gone for spring break i plan on taking him out, soon!! He seems to be happy tho!!

One more picture of my orange yuma ric!!

post-61368-1300656758_thumb.jpg

maybe a week. much like fish they're going to be annoyed at first. my pep shrimp was going crazy each night for the first few days he was in my pico.

brandolando4

Ok cool, LEDs make the corals pop so much, I mean they almost look fake they are so bright!!

Looking good. Make sure you feed those sexies or you will have some pissed off corals. Some of that livestock looks familiar lol.

brandolando4

lol, its cuz i got it from your store!!!

so i tried feeding the sexy's and two of them were hiding in the "man cave", however the third is hanging out on the ric.

here is a pic of him trying to eat the pellet that is bigger then him lol

post-61368-1300671032_thumb.jpg

will the par 30 grow my mangroves or will it need its own dedicated light???

brandolando4

id like to try an sps for this tank, a tiny 5 dollar frag that i would put on the very top of the rock stack, what is a good pico beginner sps??

id like to try an sps for this tank, a tiny 5 dollar frag that i would put on the very top of the rock stack, what is a good pico beginner sps??

I'd wait on the sps to be honest. I have a small frag in mine but I'm not too sure it's doing too great. Ane I have noticed the sexy shrimp picked at it :angry: Just start off with what you got and see how it goes before adding any sps. That's just my .02

agreed wait on the sps just a bit. especially after such a large addition. also the magroves should grow if your light has LEDs below 10,000K or that.

brandolando4

ok, yah i was going to wait till way down the road to add the sps, to make sure i can handle the little tank, but if the sexy will pick at it, i wont get one!! i just figured since i have the light to support them i might as well learn, O well!!

hmm rapidleds website doesn't say what spectrum the lights are, however the white lights are cool white.

Archived