Top Shelf Aquatics

My Sexy LED Birthday Pico!

brandolando4

Unfortunately, the acronym PAR stands for two completely different things in this hobby.

For a PAR38 bulb, PAR stands for "parabolic aluminized reflector", it's a term that comes from when light bulbs had actual filaments. Basically, you can think of it as just the shape of the light bulb. The number after PAR is the diameter of the bulb in 1/8th's of an inch.

PAR38 is a 4.75 inch diameter bulb.

PAR30 is a 3.75 inch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabolic_alu...reflector_light

When we ask what are the PAR levels in your tank or how much PAR does that light put out, we mean "photosynthetically active radiation."

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I love my Rapid LED PAR38 the colors are awesome. But on that small of a tank you should be able to keep whatever you want under a PAR30.

I may have missed it, but you should start thinking about how you're going to mount the light. A PAR38 bulb is heavy! I had to take it with me shopping to find a desk lamp that could hold its weight.

yah i was just going to go to walmart when it came and buy the cheapest one that will support it.

im now thinking about putting a ac 2o on the back... i cant seem to find anyone who has turned this into a fuge yet, so im excited to find out if it will work.

If you know of instructions on how to mod ac 20 let me know!!

hey man welcome to the pico side!!!! see what i told you, look how many responses you get now!!! CELEBRITY,good luck with this tank. the most single important part of a pico is to be on top of your water chemistry. all the advice yoshii has given you is right on. good luck

Yah I've been watching this thing like a hawk, u have a poco too right?! The pivoting! I remebee looking at it before and really liking it!! Anyway, thanks for all the help, I'll post more pictures in a little while??

Does anyone know anywhere where I can get a media basket custom made?!??!?! I'm talking to u Stevie!!!!

The rapid led one, right??

Yeah, the PAR30 looks fine :)

ok, ive been looking around at picos on the internet for a while, and i saw a guy keeping 3 little clams in his 2.5 gallon tank. here is link http://www.melevsreef.com/pico.html

Are there any clams that would/could go in this tank ever?? just curious. thanks

Well, you could, but it's a very small tank for clams, and ones that would fit in your tank need to be fed phyto very often, plus they are calcium hogs and it could be difficult to keep the calcium stable. I personally wouldn't do it, at least not until you've gained more experience with picos :)

Yah, I was thinking of that it, I knew it was going to be hard I was thinking of putting kalkawasser or whatever in my ato for it!! I think it would be really, hard but cool cuz I can't keep a clam in my bc14!!

But has anyone kept a clam that small?! Know where to get a media basket made

?!

I was thinking that. My lfs has a Pygmy geometric pixy hawk that is abbaby like half an ich to an inch, could I get him and move him to my bigger tank when I get a bigger tank in a couple months?!!??

you could....i gotta be honest though i think you are still rushing this hobby. im not trying to bash you or anything, but you havent even been able to keep a mature reef tank yet. (only time can do this) you have a 14g, a pico now, and you want a larger tank? in a dorm? if i was you, with your 2 current setups, i would focus on perfecting those. how about keeping the 14 as a main display, and use the pico as a frag/growout reef? it could still be scaped to look like a normal pico tank, just to grow stuff out to put in the main. i dont have much experience with fish, they bore me. i can to work any day and look at reef fish in the wild. yeah im spoiled. but keeping 2 clowns and a goby in the 14 sounds like enough work. i understand about having something that swims around and looks back at you, but all invert tanks are very nice too. my advice in a long boring rant (im all jacked up on espresso), is to make the 14 the absolute sweetest thing you have ever seen and be proud of it. use the pico as a "nursery." good luck!

Ok, that sounds cool, im not getting another tank in my dorm, it will be for my apartment, and it's going to be more my roomates and my tank.. But yah the bc 14 is my priority, this little tank I'd my desk tank to distract me with homework;D

Thanks

What do u do for a living jdl?! U get to look at fish all day?!

So im looking into making a diy media rack, for it I can't find good plans, on what materials to use, I was going to use eggcrate at te bottom of each shelf and then what should I use as the sides?! Acrylic??!? Plastic?!?! I have no idea!!

U have the coolest job ever sir!! Yah I plan on slowing down, I want to pimp out my bc14, but I need this little tank as my desk distraction, but I'm going to go mega slow on this tank!!

yeah its a fun job..sometimes. most of the time im swimming in the crappiest water ever, staring at blennies and gobies. but then there are the jobs that are out on the reefs, it's hard to get stuff done then.

I can imagine, like what does it job entitle besides swimming?! Like what's the purpose of them making u swim?

bought a aqua clear 20 today, and it barely fits, so im going to mod that into a fuge.

ill post pics later.

so ive decided that im going to go with a pygmy hawk, i think... lol

brandolando4

ok i re did my rock work, again..

post-61368-1298948939_thumb.jpg

i tested my water today and it was off the charts with ammonia and nitrite!!

Archived