Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Makes me want a 10 gallon frag tank now too.. Totally awesome those Maxi's are awesome!

Your frag tank is just awesome! :happy:

The maxis are pretty cool. They are slowly but surely coloring up for me too! If you can swing it, I'd suggest a bigger frag tank than a 10. I couldn't go any bigger myself and it's filling up fast! I'm hoping to be able to grow a ton of macro in it :happy:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered a frag rack and plugs! I can't wait to get it in my tank and move my first frags to it! I cut 4 of my rics apart between the mouths and mounted them on LR rubble. I think I did okay. They all look like they're healing for now. Does this make me like a real reefer or something now? :lol:

Hmmm....well, I had bad luck with a YWG, although most people don't. Little blue reef chromis are pretty darn cute. If only they stayed small and cute. Were the firefish purple or the orange variety?

They had the purple firefish and the "regular" firefish. They are selling the regular for just $10.00 and I am leaning in that direction. May also pick up a neon goby since it's habits seem like they are right for the tank. The YWG is also going to want to burrow, and I don't think I have the sandbed for that. I'd love to get 2 of the neons, but they need to be in a mated pair in order not to fight. Hmm...

I ordered a frag rack and plugs! I can't wait to get it in my tank and move my first frags to it! I cut 4 of my rics apart between the mouths and mounted them on LR rubble. I think I did okay. They all look like they're healing for now. Does this make me like a real reefer or something now? :lol:

You are totally a real reefer after you frag something :lol: Eventually I'm going to cut my ricordeas. I'm waiting for some of them to get a little bigger. Congrats on the frag rack and plugs :)

HAHA a 20L then! I saw one at petco! :lol:

20L sounds like a great idea :happy:

They had the purple firefish and the "regular" firefish. They are selling the regular for just $10.00 and I am leaning in that direction. May also pick up a neon goby since it's habits seem like they are right for the tank. The YWG is also going to want to burrow, and I don't think I have the sandbed for that. I'd love to get 2 of the neons, but they need to be in a mated pair in order not to fight. Hmm...

Having had both, I can say I like the "regular" firefish better. Mine was way more personable than the purple firefish which hid about 99% of the time. Plus it's half the price ;)

I think you can get 2 neon gobies and one will become the male and the other the female. I think that's how it works. My pair of GBGs still aren't lovey dovey with each other. I'm waiting patiently for that to happen. I do see them doing little dances around each other though. I'm sure that means something. They still like to chase each other. The male had a "kiss" mark on the side of his body and I know it wasn't a love bite. I hope they hook up before too long. I think their lifespan is only like 2 years!

haahaa :) Set up a frag tank!!!!! They are so awesome to have. I'm tempted to turn it into a macro display tank, but I'm resisting that temptation, for now ;)

I had a perfect frg tank and had to sell it :mellow: I am working on a 120 gallon build so I needed the room and the money. I am actually planning on plumbing in a 20 long to the 120 for a frag tank. You have some awesome macros in your frag tank. I wish I could have some of those in my dt.

I had a perfect frg tank and had to sell it :mellow: I am working on a 120 gallon build so I needed the room and the money. I am actually planning on plumbing in a 20 long to the 120 for a frag tank. You have some awesome macros in your frag tank. I wish I could have some of those in my dt.

Well, eventually you'll have another ;) Your plan sounds awesome!

Macros, ricordeas, and birdsnest have really become my thing :happy:

I really am so tempted to turn this frag tank into a macro forest with mushrooms, gorgs and sexy shrimp! I like the looks of the maxis too! They would be incorporated into the scape...though they scare me with their fish eating capabilities!!!!! Decisions, decisions!!!!!! I know this plan will happen eventually. I'm going to try to wait awhile though.

I'm goin to be setting up a 5.5 aio and I will be putting at least on maxi mini in it. I loved the relationship between the maxi and sexy shrimp that I had in my 2.5 pico before we tore it down.

I'm goin to be setting up a 5.5 aio and I will be putting at least on maxi mini in it. I loved the relationship between the maxi and sexy shrimp that I had in my 2.5 pico before we tore it down.

I saw that 5.5 plan you have...very cool! I love the relationship between them as well.

My plan may be happening sooner than I thought. In fact, I may do it today. I keep having frags fall under the frag rack which I need to remove to get at them. It will still be my frag tank, just no rack. And the new macros will all be attached to rock. Hopefully I'll be able to grow a lush forest of macros!!!!!

My son is home sick today as it is, so today would be a great day to make the switcheroo.

Bummer hopefully he feels better soon. I am at home watching my niece and nephew but I don't have the tank yet so no tank tinkering for me today. I think I might move some stuff around in my pico though. Depends on if I can get them to sit still for longer than a second.

Bummer hopefully he feels better soon. I am at home watching my niece and nephew but I don't have the tank yet so no tank tinkering for me today. I think I might move some stuff around in my pico though. Depends on if I can get them to sit still for longer than a second.

Thankfully it's just a low-grade fever with no other symptoms. Monday is a perfect day for him to miss school and rest. I'm sure he'll be totally better by tomorrow...I hope!!!! Thanks for the well-wishes :happy:

I'm still mulling over what I'm going to do today with this tank. I think I'll pick up a large frag rack (magnetic) to hold the frag plugs. I'm going to try to get one of the corner styles. I'm still going to keep this sandless although I'm going to research the best conditions for growing macros before I make any final decisions.

Totally going to copy your frag tank! :P

The current, or the up-and-coming?

I'm going to concentrate on macros in the frag tank. The white frag rack and pipes will be coming out and replaced with magnetic frag racks.

The current, or the up-and-coming?

I'm going to concentrate on macros in the frag tank. The white frag rack and pipes will be coming out and replaced with magnetic frag racks.

The new and improved one! ;)

Ok...good. The frag rack is a pita :lol: I can't reach the stuff that falls between the holes without removing the whole thing. And removing the whole thing is a pita :lol:

Yep...the macros will be on the rocks. I'm not planning to do a sandbed at all since the macro I'm growing doesn't need sand for the roots.

whoa whoa whoa. I have been so MIA that I just saw your last photos of the macro frag tank. Last time I saw it, it was empty! ha. Sooo am I last in line for some macro now? I want some.

I can see how that set up would be a PITA, but it was a good attempt. What about making unconnected rows of eggrate?

Beautiful maxi minis! You are Harvanni are making me want one.

Ok...good. The frag rack is a pita :lol: I can't reach the stuff that falls between the holes without removing the whole thing. And removing the whole thing is a pita :lol:

Yep...the macros will be on the rocks. I'm not planning to do a sandbed at all since the macro I'm growing doesn't need sand for the roots.

I was thinking small pedestals in each corner (for sps and High light frags) and then eggcrate on the bottom of the tank with the macros tied/attached to that. Then you can still line the corals up in the crate for the convenient way it holds the plugs.

I love yours though. ;)

I worked on revamping the frag tank today. I removed the egg crate completely. Arranged the live rock with a little cave in the middle. Got all the macro placed. Maxis in their hopefully permanent positions. Now just waiting for the macro to grow :happy:

I did pick up a corner frag rack and I'll still have space on the bottom of the tank for frags as well. I have my two soap dishes suction cupped to the left wall. Right now I have some kenya cuttings, that I made today, sitting on some rock rubble to attach. Not sure how the chaeto will do in the soap dish below that one. I think it will get enough light, but?????? I'll just have to wait and see. I have another clump at the right back of the tank as well.

Pictures.......

fragtank.jpg

maxi-minis are really starting to color up for me:

fragtank2-1.jpg

whoa whoa whoa. I have been so MIA that I just saw your last photos of the macro frag tank. Last time I saw it, it was empty! ha. Sooo am I last in line for some macro now? I want some.

I can see how that set up would be a PITA, but it was a good attempt. What about making unconnected rows of eggrate?

Beautiful maxi minis! You are Harvanni are making me want one.

As soon as my macro is ready to be pruned, I will let you know :)

maxis are definitely beautiful creatures. They make me so nervous though. I'm undecided on which fish would be the safest to add to this tank. I'm thinking on the cheap side just in case :scarry:

I was thinking small pedestals in each corner (for sps and High light frags) and then eggcrate on the bottom of the tank with the macros tied/attached to that. Then you can still line the corals up in the crate for the convenient way it holds the plugs.

I love yours though. ;)

Sounds like a great plan. As long as you have easy access to the tank below the frag rack to get the fallen frags. That was my mistake.

ScubaEthan

Frag tank shmag tank. That looks like a nice little nano to me. Maxi minis are looking amazing.

What size is that tank? It's giving me some inspiration for my future 10g shroom tank. hmmm.

I just saw the front page!

CONGRATS!! And VERY well deserved:) You're tank look amazing!

Also I love the new frag tank! I think I need one. My hermits mess with new frags way too much and I think it's why I have had such a poor survival rate.

Frag tank shmag tank. That looks like a nice little nano to me. Maxi minis are looking amazing.

What size is that tank? It's giving me some inspiration for my future 10g shroom tank. hmmm.

Thanks :happy: I am trying to not let it turn into a display :lol: It's supposed to be a more utilitarian set-up. No sand, ugly soap dishes, frags scattered everywhere, etc. I can't wait to see it full of plants though!!!!!!

It's about 10g. The dimensions are not a typical 10g size though. It's approximately 17x11x12h.

You are an artist! That tank looks fantastic!

Awe...thanks :)

I just saw the front page!

CONGRATS!! And VERY well deserved:) You're tank look amazing!

Also I love the new frag tank! I think I need one. My hermits mess with new frags way too much and I think it's why I have had such a poor survival rate.

Thanks, Hravanii!!!!!! I purposely did not put hermits in the frag tank because of the displacing they like to do. I may eventually have to give in though. I want the ricordeas to attach to those frag tiles first, and the plants to grab onto the rocks.

Spirofucci

Haha, funny Ethan, but I agree, totally. Very nice Gena!

Archived