Top Shelf Aquatics

Im not killing my fish, sorry

brandolando4

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:grouphug:

This thread is battling for my favorite. Right now it is tied with the one where the kid sold corals for his charity run and then disappeared. People get in over their head....and then the wolves descend.

I wonder what happened to him? He's a local and he disappeared from that forum too. Probably trying to pay off his parents for all that shipping...

Edit: Oops... I forgot that's a taboo subject on NR and will result in banning/thread closing.

no i'm not talking to you lol. but about the lounge rat thing, that's kind of silly. google is all i have to say about that. i could go on a gardening forum, read through it for a week or so, google some stuff, and make myself seem very knowledgeable about it. it's easy to do. but i prefer my advice to come from people who actually get their hands wet.

it would be like calling a crisis hotline and then later finding out the person advising you lives in the hamptons in their parents guest house and have their own swim up bar. i would feel cheated. like, wtf do you know about crisis'? " i read some stuff on the internet about it"

edit: i know thats a ####ty analogy but hey, you get where i'm coming from lol

I'd dig up some old threads, but I'm too lazy.

But it used to be fun watchin Fosi , Tiny and maybe even Ray pwn some wannabe know-it-all. Hell Jeremai knows his schtuff too. He is a very much a lounge rat. I get what you are saying though. If you look through the archives, a lot of the people in the lounge used to be the knowledgeable ones in the general forum. I guess you can only take so much.

OP,

Don't give up on NR. The trick is to sift through the BS to find the info you need. Every day, someone starts a thread about how they are stocking their tank too fast, but it will be different for them. After awhile it gets old. Eventually you just start flaming people. When in doubt, use the search function. If you are still in doubt, post about it. Take this thread for example, you did the right thing by posting here. Yes, you got flamed, but you also got a lot of really good advice. Once you are here for awhile, you will figure out who you can listen too, and who really knows their schtuff.

lol hey formula my gf says your hot!!

i get that alot, thanks.

and i do apologize man. i should have left it at my first advice. i fell victim to the mob mentality. i hate what i have become. i am going to perform Sebuke now.

i know that i may have already ruined my rep on this site, but i would like to continue using it. and really do appreciate the help you guys give.

OO and by the way i was reading through here and im not esl, just lazy, im 19 and im from hawaii!!

thanks guys

i know that i may have already ruined my rep on this site, but i would like to continue using it. and really do appreciate the help you guys give.

OO and by the way i was reading through here and im not esl, just lazy, im 19 and im from hawaii!!

thanks guys

that explains it. you guys have the weirdest slang lol. my friend is hawaiin, hawaiien, hawaii-alien, he's from hawaii.

On the major of biology coming from BS in Freshwater and Marine Bio and MS in Zoology...

And the major of marine biology never tells you how to take care of fish, im sorry thats not how it works, majority of this major is ####ty classes that i will never use like organic chemistry and cellular biology. So again i have no clue about fish tank besides from what i have read in books and on this forum.

You will use those classes if you ever go anywhere with science, trust me.

+1...for someone going into biology, you're surely off a very bad start, killing fish after fish after fish...do you do an autopsy on them after? At least you could learn something from your mistakes.

I did an art major, after doing a science major and I thought the art major was much different. In science all you need to do is study and learn, but with the art major you need to have talent and that can't be bought or learned. It was easy to study for the math exam, but doing a design project that had to be creative and original was not simply a matter of remembering stuff.

Critical thinking is very much a talent and there are many other talents that people can have to help out in biology. BTW they don't teach you how to keep stuff alive in biology, but you should be researching it before trying to use an organism is an experiment.

well i observed a problem, i then followed through to by doing research to see what could be wrong, i couldn't find anything that was a 100 percent match, so i chose the one that was the next closest option.

I then formed the hypothesis that my fish could in-fact have brook. After doing that i performed my experiment to see if my hypothesis was true. My experiment proved my hypothesis wrong so i asked the scientific community (you guys for help).

since then i have done nothing but slowly start raising the salinity and trying to feed once a day. I have not freaked out and i have not rushed to any conclusions. I have made the best decision i could and assumed my fish is either shocked/scared or has a an air bladder problem.

Not really the scientific method.

-------------

On your fish...

From the video your fish looked okay, just scared. Make the QT a little more natural and raise the salinity. The biggest thing you need to learn from this is to slow your stocking down big time. Also, a few hours of research is not enough, stop posting and start reading heavily. You are going to have to have a BS filter in this thread, lots of people write stuff that isn't necessarily correct. Just stop pestering the fish, feed it daily, clean up a few hours later, give it a normal light cycle, and hope for the best. If it dies or lives post the results and then run away from this thread, but make sure to take these lessons with you. If you are going to purchase more fish, seeing how you are inexperienced and likely going to kill more fish before the end, try purchasing tank-bred fish like clowns. No point in harvesting a fish from the wild if you are going to kill it. My suggestion is to stop purchasing fish and become strong with growing corals first, softies are pretty forgiving.

On the major of biology coming from BS in Freshwater and Marine Bio and MS in Zoology...

You will use those classes if you ever go anywhere with science, trust me.

Critical thinking is very much a talent and there are many other talents that people can have to help out in biology. BTW they don't teach you how to keep stuff alive in biology, but you should be researching it before trying to use an organism is an experiment.

Not really the scientific method.

+1 on the classes being useful! The courses exist not just so you learn the material, but so you learn HOW to learn things, how to learn things under pressure, and eventually how to retain and apply what you have learned in important projects. Chemistry Knowledge is VERY valuable, as are problem solving skills. This is coming from a graduate student with a B.S. in Biology, and halfway through my Masters Degree- I have had to formulate my own research projects (my thesis), apply for grant money to fund them, and plan/implement them . . . (so far, very successfully) Throughout this process, my knowledge from all different types of classes has been EXTREMELY useful, if not crucial (genetics, organic chemistry, microbiology, ArcGIS software, etc, etc.) So stick with it and learn everything you can about the widest variety of possible things!! Biology isn't for wimps, thats for sure- so props to you for choosing a great degree- just don't limit yourself by not taking the "hard" or "boring" classes, cuz chances are they will take you the farthest and actually get you a good job after college (worked for me! I get to quit Petco in less than a month bc I have been offered a full time position in the lab at my school, with professional prospects after I graduate in December)

sorry for ruining biology students, i really am sorry for all the fuss i have created the past week, and im not arguing about those classes being useless in the entirety, but i feel as a biologist i will never have to know the nitty gritty of how aromatic ring reactions take place. Anyways i m sorry again!

anyway just giving an update to the fish, if anyone really cares, he is swimming a little more but he is still laying for the most part. I have been raising the salinity super slowly over the past couple days, and today for the first time i got him to eat a very little i had to hold food in front of his face for like 5 minutes with tweezers and he ate a very little amount of it. I guess some is better then none.

thanks formula, here hoping!

lol i was hoping it would decrease the yelling!

all the fish in the display are still doing fine!

I came home today and i couldn't find my clown anywhere at the bottom of the tank, after a while of looking i noticed a shimmer of orange in the upper right of the tank, and to my pleasure i saw him swimming around acting like a normal clownfish. The salinity in the qt was almost the same as the display so i just dropped him in the display and he doing fine.

The other clown is picking on him alittle, but i just tried feeding and he is eating well, he is so pale, ive never seen a clown as pale as this one im hoping he will color up soon.

thanks guys for all the advice, i appreciate it!

brando you are a genius and dont even know it.... do you know how hard it is to have a cult following on this site? people have had threads up for years with nobody even knowing it. u however have managed to become a celebrity almost overnight. it might not have been the best way to do things, but it worked regardless. kudos to you sir and keep your chin up. not everyone on this site did things right the first time. when you do grasp the reef keeping thing, u can look back and laugh at how dumb you are..jk (had to bash) good luck!

lol, thanks, you just made my day. Im gonna try and tone down the stupidity!!

any advice on how to get this clown healthy fast?? Besides feeding? I was thinking of feeding every day instead of my normal every other day in hopes that he will get better.

i have rods food, pe mysis, veggie flakes, meaty flakes, and formula one pellets.

i fed him twice today, the second feeding was with veggie flakes. ill post a picture later!!

the little dude is swimming alot, he is starting to hold his own against the other clown, and he has colored up a little i can see less internal organs, put he is still light orange!!

I know right, he looks normal except the way he acts!!

thats how clowns act

Archived