Top Shelf Aquatics

picotope clam questions

Funktastic Wint

wow ppl how thick headed can you be you must all be the 40+ year olds who 5 years ago said reefs cant be in tanks less than 10g then said sps cant be in a 3g among other things we keep proving you wrong!

i started reefing when i was 11 cuz ppl like you told me i couldnt do it!

he didnt ask can i keep one, he asked how to keep one.

dont listen to senor citizens. :rant:

ok it can and has been done, but a list of things need to be in check:

lighting: par38 so ur good on that

total water volume: how many gallons are in ur tank and sump combined?

filtration: is it stable or is at risk for crashing.

filtration: do you have enough to keep the tank nitrates at 0 at all the time and low po4.

testing: do you have alk cal ph salt po4 mag. temp

temp: is the temp stable (like 78-9 during the day to 76-77 at night)

flow: is where u going to put him to much or to little or just right?

food: do you have the right food and can your tank handle the new high amount of food (you might want to pretend ones in there and feed as if there was and test ur water after 2 weeks.

salt: is it stable, do you have a ato?

if the coral are not thriving and growing get them to that point before trying a clam.

keeping a clam is not for the beginner unless devoted. its not going to be a walk in the park, promise us that if its health goes down hill to GIVE it away to some one with a bigger tank. if you have any questions P.M. me. good luck ^_^

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In my experience picos can be plenty stable if you set them up right. " +1

I got a crocea in my 6g tall under the same bulb you are looking to get

its been about 3 months - its looks amazing and seems to be growing

Funktastic Wint
wow ppl how thick headed can you be you must all be the 40+ year olds who 5 years ago said reefs cant be in tanks less than 10g then said sps cant be in a 3g among other things we keep proving you wrong!

i started reefing when i was 11 cuz ppl like you told me i couldnt do it!

he didnt ask can i keep one, he asked how to keep one.

dont listen to senor citizens. :rant:

ok it can and has been done, but a list of things need to be in check:

LOL! ii like u already almost

lighting: par38

total water volume: between 6-8 total

filtration: i have a skimmer and about 7 pounds of live rock pretty stable imo

filtration: i have a Football sized piece of cheato. i havnt even seen nitrates in my system

testing: do you have alk cal ph salt po4 mag. temp? whats the question here?

temp: temp is stable at 81

flow: near the bottom medium flow

food: i think the skimmer can handle the food supply

salt: salinity is a concern (need to by a refractometer) will do before purchase of clam (evap is minimized by lids)

Clam is something I want for sure. I may wait yet for when I get my 25 started sometime. I plan on going LED lighting and whatnot.. As for devotion, I spend a significant amount of time talking and feeding my sun coral mouth by mouth. Devotion isn't an issue per-say. Stable temp, that owuld be an issue I need to address come this summer. I Dislike AC personally, but I might get one for my tanks sake. Last summer husband and I had some trouble we had an accident and I was unable to maintain my tank as I wanted to. went into a state of neglect over the 3 months, but after I got back in order, BOY did it bounce back. So corals are flourisihng. Waterchanges - bi-weekly due to sun coral feedings. ATO- Addressing that soon. Lighting... 80Watts of t5HO, atinic and 10K 2 bulbs each. Waterflow, pretty good with 2 filters and a pump. Temperature stable.

My promis is to animals. If I can't care for them, they get a new home.

you post a question and then complain about or totally ignore the responses you get. yeah, i give that clam about a month...a month in which it will slowly starve to death while undergoing the constant shock of dramatic changes in salinity and water quality. real nice...

Funktastic Wint
you post a question and then complain about or totally ignore the responses you get. yeah, i give that clam about a month...a month in which it will slowly starve to death while undergoing the constant shock of dramatic changes in salinity and water quality. real nice...

i think there is a serious lack of true nano-reefers on this site! where are all the innovative people!?

Be aware that the survival rate of small clam is very very low. It is best to buy then more than 3", and 4" is better. when they are small they need a lot of supplemental food because their mantles is not yet well developed enough to give it all the energy that it needs.

Small clams are very very fragile. Recently there is some type of disease going around and clams seem to die a lot. There is a thread about it in the www.canreef.com forum. People are losing their clams fast, some lost like 7 or more clams in a few weeks.

I think a 2 year old thank 10 gallons would be well established enough to support a clam depending on your lighting but it's your water parameters that must be very stable and not fluctuating all day and from day to day. So dosing must be done with a dosing pump so that it's gradual, and of course the tank need an ATO.

Would a clam such as a signifiantly small one, not more than 2 - 3 inches survive happily in a 2 year old 10 gallon? I waited nearly a year and 8 months to get a fish.

I will look into the dosing pumps and get the ATO on my 6month list (happens between now and 6 months. I find each new part I have been adding to the system has been better at a slightly slower pace. Not so overwhelmed by information that it mind boggles me. Although the LED thread is still a touch confusing. So much variety.... Thank you Dani3d. I will get studying.

+1000000000000

Sorry I think I have to agree with everyone on this one. I don't think it's a good idea.

This topic has gotten a little out of hand it seems. It's partially because OP's attitude and ppl who care about the well being of living things. There's many experienced ppl on here and if you ask a question, it means you are asking for their advice BECAUSE they are experienced. If you ask for advice from people, you need listen to them and respect their opinions or advice. You don't have to agree with it or follow it, but do it in a respectful manner please... asking for advice and then making fun of them when they tell you something you don't want to hear is really a d-bag move. Plus not everyone has the same sense of humor as you. :grouphug:

Back to the topic...

salt: salinity is a concern (need to by a refractometer) will do before purchase of clam (evap is minimized by lids)

This concerns me. If your salinity is a concern you need to get that refractometer and then keep it stable for a while.

I don't really know how experienced you are so I can't say or not whether you have enough experience for a clam. All I know is that I do not. I want one... but I know I'm still a n00b and I completely admit that. Just because I've had rock sitting in salt water for X amount of time doesn't make me experienced to keep certain things. If all I've had are a bunch of mushrooms, gsp, xenia for 10 years (I haven't... just an example =P) I'm not gonna think I'm experienced enough to keep SPS.

Ultimately it's completely your choice but I think you should follow the advice of some of these ppl who have experience. I wish you luck though which ever path you choose to follow! fingerscrossed

Funktastic Wint
Sorry I think I have to agree with everyone on this one. I don't think it's a good idea.

This topic has gotten a little out of hand it seems. It's partially because OP's attitude and ppl who care about the well being of living things. There's many experienced ppl on here and if you ask a question, it means you are asking for their advice BECAUSE they are experienced. If you ask for advice from people, you need listen to them and respect their opinions or advice. You don't have to agree with it or follow it, but do it in a respectful manner please... asking for advice and then making fun of them when they tell you something you don't want to hear is really a d-bag move. Plus not everyone has the same sense of humor as you. :grouphug:

Back to the topic...

This concerns me. If your salinity is a concern you need to get that refractometer and then keep it stable for a while.

I don't really know how experienced you are so I can't say or not whether you have enough experience for a clam. All I know is that I do not. I want one... but I know I'm still a n00b and I completely admit that. Just because I've had rock sitting in salt water for X amount of time doesn't make me experienced to keep certain things. If all I've had are a bunch of mushrooms, gsp, xenia for 10 years (I haven't... just an example =P) I'm not gonna think I'm experienced enough to keep SPS.

Ultimately it's completely your choice but I think you should follow the advice of some of these ppl who have experience. I wish you luck though which ever path you choose to follow! fingerscrossed

i didnt ask for anyones opinions on if it could be done. if u read my first post i simply wanted to know how and which nutrients the clams suck up and how much they suck up. but i seem to only get big headed ppls responding with their big headed opinions. ive seen it done so i know it can be done.

back to original question. how much calcium do they use up? do they only use up calcium?

i didnt ask for anyones opinions on if it could be done. if u read my first post i simply wanted to know how and which nutrients the clams suck up and how much they suck up. but i seem to only get big headed ppls responding with their big headed opinions. ive seen it done so i know it can be done.

back to original question. how much calcium do they use up? do they only use up calcium?

No one really can answer that question for you because there are to many tings that can change the answer. Size of the clam what else is in the tank etc... You will have to calc that your self once you get it. I would also see what you the demands are prior to adding the clam to make sure you can keep them stable before you add him. With a water volumn that low it will be a must to have an ato and a dosing pump so that the lvls will stay the same all day not get lower then have a big jump when you dose. How to figure out how much your system uses is

day 1 Test for all the prams you need. Record

day 2-4 do nothing but top off. Dose NOTHING!!!

day 5 Test for all prams again. Subtract from the origional then devide by 5.

That will give you your daily amount you need to dose. Then you will have to read the bottle that you are dosing to figure how much you need to dose to match that amount for your water volumn.

If you can do that to keep your prams stable I dont see why you could not keep the clam in your system. You will just have to be very careful. Also keep in mind that your clam can crash a tank that small very quick. If it goes all sexual on you and releases its sperm it will take all the O2 out of the water and kill everything.

IMO you should be able to keep the clam in you tank, however for the good of the tank I dont think that it is the smartest thing to do. There is to much that could go wrong to fast.

Okie fair enough. Sorry don't know the answer to ur q.

Funktastic Wint
you can do that to keep your prams stable I dont see why you could not keep the clam in your system. You will just have to be very careful. Also keep in mind that your clam can crash a tank that small very quick. If it goes all sexual on you and releases its sperm it will take all the O2 out of the water and kill everything.

wait what?

Ya me to that is why I am on here.

I am wishing that the little bit of freezing rain we had this morning will cause some wrecks so I will not be so board. (I work at a body shop.)

thank you doppleganger. I will definately reconsider getting a clam. I do not want an epic crash of epicness. There were several bits of interesting information I have gleened from this thread that I should be able to use

Funktastic Wint

seems like the general consensus says that a skimmer will negate this.

i have a venturi style skimmer on my setup so i think ill be ok. it also injects the water with lots of oxygen.

seems like the general consensus says that a skimmer will negate this.

i have a venturi style skimmer on my setup so i think ill be ok. it also injects the water with lots of oxygen.

I am not sure with your tank volumn what I would do it fast enough. Remember that the threads that was talked about here has around 4 times the water volumn of you. Just be very careful is all that I am saying. Or you could get a tank that only had the clam in it.

O one more thing. You also will have to make sure to get a cover for you tank to protect everything from water. When the clam shuts fast it can shoot water over the top.

Funktastic Wint
O one more thing. You also will have to make sure to get a cover for you tank to protect everything from water. When the clam shuts fast it can shoot water over the top.

ok! AWESOME! lol

freakin needy lil buggers

freakin needy lil buggers

yes they are needy. and i think its stupid that you are ignoring the fact that you cannot meet all of those needs.

Funktastic Wint
yes they are needy. and i think its stupid that you are ignoring the fact that you cannot meet all of those needs.

and what need am i not meeting?

gfy

and what need am i not meeting?

gfy

IMO and I hope you dont take this the wrong way but I am sure you really grasp what it is going to take from you with the money into the equipment and the time and attention to the tank to keep a clam in your tank long term. I am not here to bash you for the idea. I just want you to make sure that you understand what you are getting your self into. IMO it is a bad idea. I think that it will end bad for you and the clam in the end. Wither it is you that kills the clam or the clam that crashes your tank.

Archived