Cultivated Reef

picotope clam questions

Funktastic Wint

Funktastic Wint

hi all!

im wanting to buy a clam for my pico

so im wondering which of the giant clam species would be the smallest

next im wondering which nutients they use up in the aquarium so i can dose accordingly

thanks! measurements are so important in a small reef

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the terms "giant" clam and pico tank are incompatible...

however, the most important aspect missing from your proposition is lighting. What kind of lighting are you using over your pico. proper lighting is crucial for the long term heath of Tridacna clams.

Funktastic Wint
the terms "giant" clam and pico tank are incompatible...

however, the most important aspect missing from your proposition is lighting. What kind of lighting are you using over your pico. proper lighting is crucial for the long term heath of Tridacna clams.

croceas, derasas, maximas are all to my understanding species of giant clams.

im upgrading to the new rapid led par 38 with 3 royal blues, 2 cool whites, 1 warm white, and 1 blue 3watt cree LEDs.

I'm aware that Tridacna clams are all species of giant clam. What I meant was, it might be very difficult to maintain the water parameter and nutrient requirements of a filter feeding clam in such a small volume of water.

Funktastic Wint
I'm aware that Tridacna clams are all species of giant clam. What I meant was, it might be very difficult to maintain the water parameter and nutrient requirements of a filter feeding clam in such a small volume of water.

thats why i posted this question

im wondering if any ppl have measurements in ml for supplements they use.

calcium etc...

and perhaps for every inch of clam there is a way to determine calcium doses for good health.

like for every 1 inch of crocea clam add 3 ml of KENT calcium supplement or something like that.

It's not only about calcium requirement, it's about a tank stability that you will never ever be able to keep in a pico tank.

Not only do they need VERY stable parameters, salinity, ph, kh, calcium etc...but they need a well established tank with good nutriment value.

Go ahead and buy it...then watch it die not so slowly. Might as well throw that money in the garbage.

thats why i posted this question

im wondering if any ppl have measurements in ml for supplements they use.

calcium etc...

and perhaps for every inch of clam there is a way to determine calcium doses for good health.

like for every 1 inch of crocea clam add 3 ml of KENT calcium supplement or something like that.

It's not only about calcium requirement, it's about a tank stability that you will never ever be able to keep in a pico tank.

Not only do they need VERY stable parameters, salinity, ph, kh, calcium etc...but they need a well established tank with good nutriment value.

Go ahead and buy it...then watch it die not so slowly. Might as well throw that money in the garbage.

well yea but i thought that was a given.....picos are traditionally too unstable for certain forms of life....

Pico with 40 breeder sump ftw......

LOL.....my LFS has a pico like that.....5 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump!!! stocked with small SPS and everyone wonders how they do it!! makes me giggle every time I go in there!!

I kept a baby maxima in a 3g pico for a year; it was 1-5/8" when I got it and almost 2" when I moved it out. In my experience picos can be plenty stable if you set them up right. You'll need good alk, Ca and Mg test kits and supplements, and some way to split up your alk dose throughout the day since the total tank consumption could be over 2dkh per day, which shouldn't all be done at once. I dosed the alk into the ATO water and tested+dosed Ca every couple days, which works pretty well.

Nobody can tell you exactly how much dosing it will take, you have to test and correct.

Besides that I like to make a soup of oyster feast, coral frenzy, and several other fine particle foods and give the tank a drop or two per day with the filter turned off. The baby clam never seemed to care much about filter feeding though, I never saw it pumping when I fed the tank the way I've seen bigger clams do. Maybe it just does it slower, I dunno.

Funktastic Wint
I kept a baby maxima in a 3g pico for a year; it was 1-5/8" when I got it and almost 2" when I moved it out. In my experience picos can be plenty stable if you set them up right. You'll need good alk, Ca and Mg test kits and supplements, and some way to split up your alk dose throughout the day since the total tank consumption could be over 2dkh per day, which shouldn't all be done at once. I dosed the alk into the ATO water and tested+dosed Ca every couple days, which works pretty well.

Nobody can tell you exactly how much dosing it will take, you have to test and correct.

Besides that I like to make a soup of oyster feast, coral frenzy, and several other fine particle foods and give the tank a drop or two per day with the filter turned off. The baby clam never seemed to care much about filter feeding though, I never saw it pumping when I fed the tank the way I've seen bigger clams do. Maybe it just does it slower, I dunno.

yes i know its possible. my tank has very stable parameters. i have a 5 gallon sump and skimmer and everything a big tank has... just on a small level.

some kind of drip system for dosing or something sounds best. but by all means i will be getting one. :) im too stubborn and ill prove all u non believers wrong.

there should be no 40 breeder anything in this forum. its NANO-REEF. HELLOOOOOO :slap:

yes i know its possible. my tank has very stable parameters. i have a 5 gallon sump and skimmer and everything a big tank has... just on a small level.

some kind of drip system for dosing or something sounds best. but by all means i will be getting one. :) im too stubborn and ill prove all u non believers wrong.

there should be no 40 breeder anything in this forum. its NANO-REEF. HELLOOOOOO :slap:

and b/c you're stubborn a clam will have to die......ppl piss me off

do you have any experience with clams at all?? cause if you dont trying your first one i a pico is just stupid

I wonder where I could find a baby maxima clam. I would love a tiny clam for my pico or 10 gallon (keeping in mind I will be upgrading ot a 25 gallon + 29 gallon sump. I would definately need to do my research in maximas prior to getting one. this goes without say.

I think it will be possible, but technology for picos is just not developed enough yet... Remember when anything under 55g was impossible to do a saltwater setup? Well someone setup a 40, then someone copied them, they learned together how to improve, then companies catered to them (eventually), then there was a successful community with 40g tanks, then a couple people decided to push the boundaries to a 30g, ad nauseum...

You are trying to jump from 55g to 10g... We don't have the right equipment/knowledge to put clams in picos yet!!!!!!

BTW I hope you setup your pico a year before joining this site...

Funktastic Wint
and b/c you're stubborn a clam will have to die......ppl piss me off

do you have any experience with clams at all?? cause if you dont trying your first one i a pico is just stupid

seems like u are a mad reefer. not in the cool mad scientist way either.

i think ur mad cuz u have a small penis. :) go pay for some nasty and then talk to me.

I think it will be possible, but technology for picos is just not developed enough yet... Remember when anything under 55g was impossible to do a saltwater setup? Well someone setup a 40, then someone copied them, they learned together how to improve, then companies catered to them (eventually), then there was a successful community with 40g tanks, then a couple people decided to push the boundaries to a 30g, ad nauseum...

You are trying to jump from 55g to 10g... We don't have the right equipment/knowledge to put clams in picos yet!!!!!!

BTW I hope you setup your pico a year before joining this site...

i have a thread in the pico sub forum kthanks

lol!! I meant the comparison of the distance in technological and research from where we are now to where Funktastic Wint wants to go tomorrow afternoon.

10g was just a reference point.

EDIT: BTW I was refering to the date funktastic wink joined. He joined early January. A large tank needs to be setup for 6 months depending... for a clam. I imagine a pico may take longer to reach stability if ever...

seems like u are a mad reefer. not in the cool mad scientist way either.

i think ur mad cuz u have a small penis. :) go pay for some nasty and then talk to me.

i have a thread in the pico sub forum kthanks

wow that's mature.....I dont argue with children.....do what you want.....again ppl give sound advice when others ask for help and yet you think you know better

i've probably being working with clams longer than you've been alive little boy so show some respect

From what I gather, that clam was JUST put in there. IMHO it doesn't belong there, but who is to say... I am here trying to save you some money and possibly the life of a clam. You don't have to prove anything to me. If you want the clam, get it.

Funktastic Wint
wow that's mature.....I dont argue with children.....do what you want.....again ppl give sound advice when others ask for help and yet you think you know better

i've probably being working with clams longer than you've been alive little boy so show some respect

wow ur so serious! freakin a. u need a massage? im seriously a massage therapist.

loosen up!

and btw im a total ass a lot of the time. so dont be so serious!! its a reef forum.

I take this hobby very seriously.....and cannot stand ppl who take dumb risks just to prove that everyone else is wrong

it's different if you're the FIRST one to do it.....then you're a pioneer.....but when it's been tried and failed 85 out of 100 times....i say leave it a lone and dont KILL an animal that doesn't have a choice

Funktastic Wint
I take this hobby very seriously.....and cannot stand ppl who take dumb risks just to prove that everyone else is wrong

it's different if you're the FIRST one to do it.....then you're a pioneer.....but when it's been tried and failed 85 out of 100 times....i say leave it a lone and dont KILL an animal that doesn't have a choice

did u see rockhead01's?

ive also successfully kept sebae anemones in a stock biocube 29. everyone said those would die too. but they grew to take over the whole tank. so maybe im not stupid.

i think the technology is there already.

Would a clam such as a signifiantly small one, not more than 2 - 3 inches survive happily in a 2 year old 10 gallon? I waited nearly a year and 8 months to get a fish.

Funktastic Wint
Would a clam such as a signifiantly small one, not more than 2 - 3 inches survive happily in a 2 year old 10 gallon? I waited nearly a year and 8 months to get a fish.

ive heard clams under 2.5 inches need supplemental feedings= excessive nutrients in a small tank imo

so i think id like to get a clam just over 2.5 in

Archived