Coral Vue Hydros

picotope clam questions

Funktastic Wint

Funktastic Wint
IMO and I hope you dont take this the wrong way but I am sure you really grasp what it is going to take from you with the money into the equipment and the time and attention to the tank to keep a clam in your tank long term. I am not here to bash you for the idea. I just want you to make sure that you understand what you are getting your self into. IMO it is a bad idea. I think that it will end bad for you and the clam in the end. Wither it is you that kills the clam or the clam that crashes your tank.

money is not an issue

i have plenty of experience.

if anyone wants to stay updated on what im doin in my tank feel free to go to my thread in the pico subforum.

i will not be getting a clam anytime soon. my tank needs to age still.

/thread

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is best to buy then more than 3", and 4" is better. when they are small they need a lot of supplemental food because their mantles is not yet well developed enough to give it all the energy that it needs.

+1

[clams] less than 2” should be fed a phytoplankton or greenwater supplement several times per week
If you're dead-set on having a clam in your tank, based on your current knowledge and experience, I recommend the following:

526.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

oh sorry i meant do you have alk cal mag ect, test kits you will need them to figure out how much to dose.

not sure how high temps clams can take but i would lower your temp to 79 before getting one. switching to leds might be enough to lower the temp.

to all the haters: this has been done before so help him become another success story. allot of clams have needlessly died from ppl who were not well informed, so if you care about clams, help him be informed.

• 3 weeks later...

Do clams do something special that makes them worth all this effort? I personally would rather try having a large nem in my pico than a clam. They look cool but so do a lot of coral. You should just think if it is really worth all the money and effort. When I had my ap12 saltwater going I though about getting a crocea from my lfs but after reading all the care and everything that goes into it I couldnt justify doing everything for something that is going to sit in the sand. When I get my 60 cube I will probably attempt a giant clam but only because it will take less effort.

Also to answer your question as to the type of clam, a 4" crocea would be best when your ready. All the other types will literally outgrow your tank.

I like that you are willing to put in the effort for it to happen but IMO its not worth it.

Also to all you people who are concerned about a clams life they are no different than coral except they taste good deep fried with some cocktail sauce! B)

• 2 months later...

Why do people get so hostile? I don't mean to be trivial about lower forms of life...but it is just a clam. I mean jeez...how many clams get massacred for a single bowl of clam chowder? At least this person might learn something from the experience. If you want to try, and can afford it, I say give it a shot. If yall were really concerned for the well being of sea life you wouldn't have tanks and you'd leave them all to the sea where they will be much 'happier'...since apparently clams have feelings now.

TheUnfocusedOne
+1

I don't agree with this. I bought a clam for a 12g that was 1 1/2-2". It didn't need any extra feeding, it got what it needed from my light and the bits of food left over from my regular feedings of my tank.

With that said, that maxima has been in my parents 12g for well over 2 years now and is a solid 4-5" across. My dad is not even close to being a diligent reefer. He went 6 months once without a water change, despite me berating him every time I was home. Unless something is special about that clam, they aren't as fragile as people think.

You could do a 3g clam, in fact I was planning on doing it until I ran out of light. Sumping it and adding a skimmer would help. Don't clean up your frozen food, the particulates help feed him (hell more actively feed when I add a cube). Just watch them and use your best judgment. Don't listen to all the nay sayers, if we listen to people like then our little reefs would never have been possible.

Cover the essentials and you’ll be fine. I would suggest letting you tank mature for a while before adding it though.

doppelganger

I can't believe u guys dug this up :P Wint's gone I think. I think by reading through this thread you can tell why.

Either way there was some good advice given and no attention was paid to it which is why some are so hostile.

Oh and btw, here's an example of his work

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...263760&st=0

you can probably see why we were a little concerned

TheUnfocusedOne
I can't believe u guys dug this up :P Wint's gone I think. I think by reading through this thread you can tell why.

Either way there was some good advice given and no attention was paid to it which is why some are so hostile.

Oh and btw, here's an example of his work

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...263760&st=0

you can probably see why we were a little concerned

Oh, i didnt even notice the date of the OP. Uhh, yeah nm.

It's obvious he knew very little about reefing, I know I've called out his contradictions before. It's a shame that some took his advice.

Archived