Top Shelf Aquatics

Crocea Clam releasing sperm

adam87

Ya I foud out if you mix up and search for open cup coral insted of hidden cup coral you will get photos of a lot of coral colored lingerie. My wife was not happy.

Right now my Crocea Clam releasing alot of sperm. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Not a good thing. Basically the sperm will eat up all the oxygen in the tank, most likely. According what I just read recently, the best thing to do is take the clam out and isolate it until the event is over. It's the same basic problem of Calurpa going into breeding mode. Tank's too small to support the event and things will die.

Ya I foud out if you mix up and search for open cup coral insted of hidden cup coral you will get photos of a lot of coral colored lingerie. My wife was not happy.

exactly!! are you sure it's sperm and not Zooxanthellae??

I only have one clam in my 130g setup and I will do a water change today. And I was reading that SPS corals love clam sperm. Also I don't have any pics. But it was really cool to see clam releasing its sperm.

Wow, be careful. My clam spawned and it crashed my tank. Three years of hard work went down the drain in a matter of hours. Here's a link to my crash thread. I think I did everything I could, but in hindsight, I needed pull the clam out and into her own quarantine. The rest of my tank would still be alive if I had. Good luck.

Wow, be careful. My clam spawned and it crashed my tank. Three years of hard work went down the drain in a matter of hours. Here's a link to my crash thread. I think I did everything I could, but in hindsight, I needed pull the clam out and into her own quarantine. The rest of my tank would still be alive if I had. Good luck.

Well I am rethinking my recent clam purchase...

So the clam releases sperm and that causes a bacteria bloom which rapidly depletes the oxygen, or does the sperm itself somehow effect the oxygen levels?

Would using a couple air pumps with airstones help slow down that oxygen depletion? At least long enough to set up a quarantine tank and initiate a water change.

i would think a skimmer would really negate the affected levels..

skimmer injects tons of air into the water.. and the skimmer lifts the clam sperm out of the water.. just .. my clams used to do this from time to time.. the sps seemed to like it :)

A skimmer would have saved the tank, but mine is a 14 gallon BioCube and didn't have a skimmer. I now have airstones and a pump on standby. Cheap insurance.

A skimmer would have saved the tank, but mine is a 14 gallon BioCube and didn't have a skimmer. I now have airstones and a pump on standby. Cheap insurance.

want a biocube skimmer? i have a barely used one i'd sell ya cheap :)

Well I am rethinking my recent clam purchase...

So the clam releases sperm and that causes a bacteria bloom which rapidly depletes the oxygen, or does the sperm itself somehow effect the oxygen levels?

Would using a couple air pumps with airstones help slow down that oxygen depletion? At least long enough to set up a quarantine tank and initiate a water change.

According to: _Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium_ by Jim Fatherree which I've just read, it's a case of the sperm depleting the levels. It seems that moving that flagellum around requires oxygen to do and the clam just released a ton of oxygen requiring things into the tank which causes the problem. Often the clam will first release sperm and then, if mature enough, release eggs after.

It's a great book. If you've not read it, I highly recommend the read.

....hahahahaha, that's funny.... :lol:

my wife just said you should have bought her one of them and she would have been happy again.

According to: _Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium_ by Jim Fatherree which I've just read, it's a case of the sperm depleting the levels. It seems that moving that flagellum around requires oxygen to do and the clam just released a ton of oxygen requiring things into the tank which causes the problem. Often the clam will first release sperm and then, if mature enough, release eggs after.

It's a great book. If you've not read it, I highly recommend the read.

Interesting thanks.

I wonder since this issues has popped up a couple times this week if there is a natural cause triggering clams to release at this time of the year.

It was not at all funny till I explained it was a name mix up. :lol:

...like the hot, young Asian sponge you were researching?....hahaha :lol: hahahah

...like the hot, young Asian sponge you were researching?....hahaha :lol: hahahah

Reminds me of the time my car wouldn't go into gear and I googled "blew my tranny".

Sorry to wander. Hope clam is OK.

Archived