ReefCleaners.org

Imisky's Sticks and Colors Reef (Nov.12,2012 A years worth of growth)

imisky

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always have to mess with the colors in photoshop, I hear you

the thing im not used to is not so much what the colors and how the picture end up being in the photo but how it looks like in real life. The T5 add a very "flat" look to the tank that had not been there when I was just using the LEDs by themselves. But im sure its just me, and it'll take some time to get used to. just like the dual colored shimmer the LEDs produce

Like the light fixture and the inhabitants look happy.

I am curious about the tank you built. I built a very similar tank (36"x12"x12") 7-8 years ago and found that a 36" run of 1/4" glass - unbraced - resulted in a good bit of bowing in the glass on the front and back panels. Do you have any deflection in the glass? Looks like I can almost see it in one of your pictures, but might just be an optical illusion. Tanks that bow tend to come apart at the corners and leak over time.

Everything really looks good though. I am considering using AI LEDs with T5 supplementation on my 140 soon. I will follow your progress!

the thing im not used to is not so much what the colors and how the picture end up being in the photo but how it looks like in real life. The T5 add a very "flat" look to the tank that had not been there when I was just using the LEDs by themselves. But im sure its just me, and it'll take some time to get used to. just like the dual colored shimmer the LEDs produce

I'm also using T5s to supplement my Maxspect 110W, and it takes away most of the shimmering effect. I got used to it, and more importantly, my corals like it.

Really nice light set up you have there!
Beautiful tank!

:happy: thanks guys

Like the light fixture and the inhabitants look happy.

I am curious about the tank you built. I built a very similar tank (36"x12"x12") 7-8 years ago and found that a 36" run of 1/4" glass - unbraced - resulted in a good bit of bowing in the glass on the front and back panels. Do you have any deflection in the glass? Looks like I can almost see it in one of your pictures, but might just be an optical illusion. Tanks that bow tend to come apart at the corners and leak over time.

Everything really looks good though. I am considering using AI LEDs with T5 supplementation on my 140 soon. I will follow your progress!

Thanks, and good to have you follow along.

The tank actually doesnt have much bowing at all. the first picture showing it is most likely due to the lens i was using and the distortion it created when i was at that angle. There def is a bit of distortion., I might be getting 1-2mm in the middle of the tank which is within my tolerance range for a rimless tank. Even ADA 90P has a small bit of bowing of roughly 1-2mm in the middle.My previous tank was also made with 1/4" glass and it ran perfectly fine as well.

Once you get the AIs I think you'll like it, I've seen 2 in person and It is unbearable to look at when its set to 100% but in a good way.

I'm also using T5s to supplement my Maxspect 110W, and it takes away most of the shimmering effect. I got used to it, and more importantly, my corals like it.

I am still getting the shimmers that the LEDs alone provided, its just the whole tank has a very flat color that got added onto it. Im sure eventually it'll grow on me but man is it a sudden change.

cool lighting system

thanks man, now hopefully it works as good as I hope it will.

yo your tank is sick !!!!!!!!!!

love the new aquascape so much :)

REEFERBOY thanks!

I've all been a less is more person when it comes to LR, though I'm not sure what happens with the last scape haha. This gives the corals so much more space to grow!

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Wow its been 2 weeks only and I cant tell you guys how differently in terms of color the tank looks now then it did 2 weeks ago.

Some of the changes I did:

Added 4x T5HO, 2 blue and 2 actinic

Did 2x 20% water change per week

Feed live baby brine + rotifers every sunday

started to add 3 drops of zeo AA to the tank

set the skimmer to skim wet

Having been doing SPS for a while, I'd like to think I know a bit about them. The only thing I never tried was feeding them live baby brine until a friend had told me he did it and to his surprise they actually ate it. This friend came from a non photosynthetic tank and is so used to feeding live food that he hatched me a batch along with rotifers he was growing and all I can say is wow...I have never seen them react to food like that. Its hard to describe what they do, but for those who want to give this a go I say definitely try it.

Im sure the coloring up of corals was a combination of water quality and perhaps the added punch of light from the T5s. I also started to play with my flow a little as well as of yesterday, I upped it from roughly 40% to 60% and Im going to sit on it a few days to see the result. None the less, all the corals are coloring up fast, whoever spread the rumor that SPS needs months to color up is definitely missing something :P

Enjoy the photos guys.

_MG_7345.jpg

_MG_7349.jpg

_MG_7352.jpg

_MG_7362.jpg

_MG_7376.jpg

_MG_7381.jpg

Nice colors! Whatever you are doing, keep it up.

thanks! Its quite hard to do so many water changes a week. Im thinking to change it to 1 bigger water change instead of 2 20% but would probably stress the corals out from the big shock every week

so whats your current feeding regime?

currently feeding pellets 4x a day (auto feeder)

frozen every M,W,F

and live baby brine + rotifer on sunday

Looking good!

thanks!

Dude I saw a nice piece of Borealis at my LFS yesterday but it was just too expensive for me. And just out of my budgetary reach too.. :( 80 bucks for a 1-2" piece. Needless to say, since it's the one SPS piece I want the most, I am pretty bummed out.

At least I can look at yours though..

Dude I saw a nice piece of Borealis at my LFS yesterday but it was just too expensive for me. And just out of my budgetary reach too.. :( 80 bucks for a 1-2" piece. Needless to say, since it's the one SPS piece I want the most, I am pretty bummed out.

At least I can look at yours though..

Man $80 for a borealis would have been a dream come true for us here in the great white north lol...I paid close to $150 after shipping for a piece that was about..1/2"-3/4" size. I sometimes wish I lived in the US so I could access the "cheap" ORA corals.

Beautiful tank.

Thanks Dan06277

Oh wow, 150? Jeeze.. Well now that you say that I feel like I should have bought it.. -_-

haha ya you guys have it lucky down in the US :) im envious.

So I've been working on a little project lately. Coming from a design/media school I decided that I wanted to do a short vid for this tank. hope you guys like it

Archived