Top Shelf Aquatics

Imisky's Sticks and Colors Reef (Nov.12,2012 A years worth of growth)

imisky

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome looking tank! Very clean like others have said.

More info on those Par38s? like who makes them and what color temp mix?

Do you have any picture of how you install your back herbie and pipeline to your sump. very interested! This is one awesome tank! keep up the good work!

-david

Aww poo.. I love that coral. :(

Well, at least I will be able to see it in your tank. :)

Im sure someone still has one down in the states as it was an ORA coral. My thought is ORA might have lost their colony and thats why you dont see any available in the market.

Looks incredible....glad those pieces recovered so nicely.

Ya was a little bit on edge when the last "big" STN event happened. But everything stabilized now which is good! Though I'm doing 2 water changes a week to fix the problems that my negligence has caused 2 months ago.

Got my 'nod' omgomgomg

haha thanks!

Awesome looking tank! Very clean like others have said.

More info on those Par38s? like who makes them and what color temp mix?

Thanks,

The PAR38s are 9x Cree XP-E emitters. Using the plate found in the ledio LEDs it is 5RB and 4W. These ones are sold under Oceanic Corals here in Canada.

Do you have any picture of how you install your back herbie and pipeline to your sump. very interested! This is one awesome tank! keep up the good work!

-david

heres how I did the back herbie, i ended up removing the inside 2 elbows as i found them totally useless but the idea is the same. Connected the outer 2 elbows to 1" flex tubing and ran it into the sump. Since there's no hard corners or 90s from using the flex hose there is no water bouncing even if it goes through the emergency (which some does)

plumb.jpg

Nice tank, but I dislike the tang. ;)

Thanks, though as for the tang I must say I do like him and if you look into tang behavior they dont actually swim much from place to place. Though once he gets bigger I'm going to have to trade him in.

Very nice coral choices and sick lighting! 5 par 38s is crazy awesome.

Love the tank.

haha :) thanks, Im actually planning on adding more lights on top of the tank. Though they wont be LEDs as i dont have a clue as to how I'll hang them, they'll be T5s which should give me a fun project to do for a little while.

have you found the acans to keep their ultra colors under the LEDs, or have they washed/dulled out?

The ultra colors are staying pretty well under the LEDs, definitely not washed or dulled out. I'll try and get some pictures later and post them up so you guys can see.

Thanks, though as for the tang I must say I do like him and if you look into tang behavior they dont actually swim much from place to place. Though once he gets bigger I'm going to have to trade him in.

At least your going to trade him in. ;)

But they do swim a lot.

At least your going to trade him in. ;)

But they do swim a lot.

If anyone has gone diving with any school of tangs it'd be evident that they jump from rock to rock but they dont go on long swimming journeys for miles on end without stopping. They actually stop every few seconds, as they aren't yellow tail tunas lol.

None the less I know that the current tank will not be able to handle that tang in a few months. Ideally though i would like a school of red spot cardinals as they stay small, but no where do they sell them in canada

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply, meant to update this a few days after I posted the last one and found myself in the mist of possibly starting a small design studio with a few other guys i had gone to school with. So with all the planning and getting things possibly on the way I had totally forgot about this.

With that aside I sat in front of my tank a few days ago, and I looked in and i started to not like the scape after about 20mins of view...I found that there was just way too much rock and not enough space for the corals. So...i spent 2 hours ripping things apart, gluing corals down and i ended up with a much lower rock work. i removed about 8lbs of LR out of the 20 or so I had added a bit of vodka and bacteria and the next thing you know, I get a bacteria bloom. Its no big deal, I'm just going to have to bare with it for the next couple of days. All corals are happy, fully extended PE. The only thing that's different is the yellow tang, it seems to be breathing a little heavy, but I'm going to assume that's due to a bit of stress as well as the amount of O2 being utilized by the bacteria.

The pictures i took was after 20% water change 2x one on sat and one today (sun) and you can still see a bit of the haziness but i has reduced dramatically. Now its just to get the water parameters stable again so things can continue to color up the way they have been for the last couple of weeks before the rescape.

added note: I think I'll be changing up the green pocci, Idunno I'm not very fond of it anymore I'll be keeping my eyes out for another piece to replace it =)

_MG_7185.jpg

_MG_7186.jpg

_MG_7187.jpg

Seano Hermano

imisky, the tank looks really nice. I can tell you've out quite a bit of work into this.

In your blog, I saw that your lighting is 5 par 38 bulbs. What brand are they?

Hard to see that nice orange fungia ;)

perhaps it is in the picture but under the LEDs its one of the first things I see when entering the room :) Its a nice little spot for it.

imisky, the tank looks really nice. I can tell you've out quite a bit of work into this.

In your blog, I saw that your lighting is 5 par 38 bulbs. What brand are they?

Thanks Seano,

The blog is far from up to date as I'm still debating what to do with it. The PAR38s are from a company called Oceanic Corals, their website is currently down at the moment though.

• Like 1

and just like that the bacteria bloom is over. Water looks 100x cleaner lol though it could be the fact that I've been staring into a sea of white for the last few days. Its good to know its back. Corals well they are happy and seemed as if they didnt notice a thing at all.

Wow awesome tank! And it is really nice to see someone so close to me! I live in Delta. We're pretty much neighbors compared to most others on the site! Haha. Where do you get your stuff from? I'm trying to find some good places to get frags. Also, any experience with good Cdn coral/livestock websites?

Great tank! :)

Wow awesome tank! And it is really nice to see someone so close to me! I live in Delta. We're pretty much neighbors compared to most others on the site! Haha. Where do you get your stuff from? I'm trying to find some good places to get frags. Also, any experience with good Cdn coral/livestock websites?

Great tank! :)

Thanks Paigee, its amazing what the internet can do, making people far away "seem" close enough to talk to. There's a few others on the site thats local to us as well that I've met and had become friends with. Most of my stuff i get from Oceanic Corals in Aldergrove (since i live in Langley). I do however go to JLs and Ocean Aquatics to take a look once in a while. In terms of frags by far oceanic corals has the best selections. In terms of buying from livestock websites, most of them are ok and have decent guarantees the only one to be careful with is fragalot I've dealt with him 2x and he ships late as well as randomly replaces corals with others when they are out of stock without contacting first.

Thanks Paigee, its amazing what the internet can do, making people far away "seem" close enough to talk to. There's a few others on the site thats local to us as well that I've met and had become friends with. Most of my stuff i get from Oceanic Corals in Aldergrove (since i live in Langley). I do however go to JLs and Ocean Aquatics to take a look once in a while. In terms of frags by far oceanic corals has the best selections. In terms of buying from livestock websites, most of them are ok and have decent guarantees the only one to be careful with is fragalot I've dealt with him 2x and he ships late as well as randomly replaces corals with others when they are out of stock without contacting first.

Interesting to know about fragalot! He had some nice looking stuff but you are not the first person who has said to be wary. I'll have to take a drove out to oceanic one day! I haven't been by oceans aquatic recently, but I have gone to JLs for pretty much everything so far. Their drygoods are for really good prices!

Interesting to know about fragalot! He had some nice looking stuff but you are not the first person who has said to be wary. I'll have to take a drove out to oceanic one day! I haven't been by oceans aquatic recently, but I have gone to JLs for pretty much everything so far. Their drygoods are for really good prices!

When i first joined a group order I was worried and the end result was no surprise esp from all the feedback I had previously gotten. I was part of a lucky bunch that did manage to get a full replacement order of anything we wanted up to our initial value so in the end it kind of worked out better, but that wasnt the case 95% of the time. I heard Ocean Aquatics was changing owners so it'll be interesting to see who takes over and what happens in the next little while. As for JL they have awesome stuff, cant complain about the dry goods pricing. If only Rene still worked in the back livestock section the store would be much better.

On a side note, the T5 add on lighting has been finished :) I used a brushed metal texture on the aluminum flat bars to give the add on a more modern look without painting it. The aluminum isn't treated, but would expect overtime to have it oxidize to give it that misty hazy look I'm after as it would match the finish on the fins of the PAR38 bulbs. The angle of the T5s are totally flexible i can put them at parallel to the surface or have them be at a max of 45 degrees just have to adjust the treads. each T5 has there own individual reflectors.

Currently the bulbs I'm using is:

1x ATI blue plus

1x ATI actinic

1x URL super actinic

1x aqua science blue

heres some pictures for you guys, enjoy =)

_MG_7205.jpg

_MG_7207.jpg

_MG_7209.jpg

_MG_7211.jpg

_MG_7213.jpg

Nice tank, and I like the light mod. Giving me some ideas.

thanks, hopefully it'll provide some inspiration when you need feel like adding something onto yours

Love the light

:happy: thanks

Now that I think about it I should have taken the pictures with at least f2.8 lol...the DOF is way too shallow and you guys cant see any detail at all what so ever. just blurred background on everything. maybe i'll retake the pictures tomorrow and upload them again.

All good... Bokeh makes it look cool for noobs :)

haha bokeh does add a special touch to pictures =)

I am not used to this light at all, I am not sure what is so odd about the combination but it might be because the T5 removes some of the "crisp" light that LEDs alone put out. In photography terms I guess the T5s act as fill light and everything looks too evenly lit.

Archived