Innovative Marine Aquariums

Imisky's Sticks and Colors Reef (Nov.12,2012 A years worth of growth)

imisky

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick update, I have no idea where to announce this, but I guess doing it in my own thread is ok. My new blog is now featuring product reviews that I am getting from a LFS. all the reviews I do are NOT PAID, I gain no money by this and its just purely for me to get info out to the nano reef group so you guys dont have to pay to experience a crappy product. If you guys have any ideas or want something reviewed I'll try my best to get it, keep your eyes out and of course any support/feedback is great so I know I'm not just doing this for nothing :)

Builder Anthony

you son of a......lol pm me i been looking soooooooo long for those.i really need some could you get more or find a suppliers name.please pm because i lose track of all these tanks i look at.

you son of a......lol pm me i been looking soooooooo long for those.i really need some could you get more or find a suppliers name.please pm because i lose track of all these tanks i look at.

haha, its hard for me to give you a name, as it would be all canadian companies and its impossible to ship livestock down to the states. Just try anywhere, cowries are more of a seasonal thing i believe.

• 2 weeks later...

A very small but refreshing update. As I look back at the growth of this tank, there has been one coral that has really caught my eye and to this day I cant believe how much it has grown since I first got it. The winner, my Ponape birdsnest

Ponape (march 2011 *1 year ago and roughly 1cm long )

IMG_6385-1.jpg

Ponape (July 2011)

_MG_6827.jpg

Ponape March 2012

_MG_8342.jpg

Beautiful! :happy:

lol thanks Flcandy, its amazing how fast corals grow

Got myself a little farm going here :)

I Remember when see it first time ( March'11 ) .. and now, after 1 year ??Wooww .. time running fast .. You have a nice growth, nice ponape .. :)

I remember thinking to myself that I, the growth from March to July of 2011 was big. I guess because I see it frequently I dont see it change much until I compare it to photos in the past. Your right though time goes by fast. I wish I could get the same growth out of some of my other corals though

nice pics, maybe a new video perhaps? :D

I'll have to find time to get around to it, its quite hard to manage when working on projects that take up 10-12hrs of day time. But I promise there will be a video soon

sick ### sticks as always! love that ponape

thanks bwoodward!

Fun update.

I picked up some berghia nudis today from a local breeder. Why? because I have crazy amount of aiptasias from the heavy BBA that I've been feeding for the last few months. I love feeding my SPS, so I'm not going to stop doing that, so the only thing to do is add some predators for the aiptasias. Berghias are about the only things that are not hit and miss so I grabbed 8.

6970679509_9714e5e8a7_z.jpg

Berghia Nudi by ECSuyu, on Flickr

I'm not sure if I knew this before and forgot.. But you're in Langely also!? I live in Langley, my tank is at my boyfriend's house in Delta. WEIRD.

If I commented on this before, my apologies. Just got excited all over again :P

thanks bwoodward!

Fun update.

I picked up some berghia nudis today from a local breeder. Why? because I have crazy amount of aiptasias from the heavy BBA that I've been feeding for the last few months. I love feeding my SPS, so I'm not going to stop doing that, so the only thing to do is add some predators for the aiptasias. Berghias are about the only things that are not hit and miss so I grabbed 8.

6970679509_9714e5e8a7_z.jpg

Berghia Nudi by ECSuyu, on Flickr

Glad to hear... ive used them on numerous occasions and there is nothing better for aiptasia control. IME

I'm not sure if I knew this before and forgot.. But you're in Langely also!? I live in Langley, my tank is at my boyfriend's house in Delta. WEIRD.

If I commented on this before, my apologies. Just got excited all over again :P

haha Paigee, ya I live in langley, around the brookswood area. I do recall something like this came up before I dont mind it.

Glad to hear... ive used them on numerous occasions and there is nothing better for aiptasia control. IME

Ive gotten a few of these guys before only to have them disappear so I thought I would pick up 8. As much as I love feeding BBS man did it do me in for aiptasias lol

Ive gotten a few of these guys before only to have them disappear so I thought I would pick up 8. As much as I love feeding BBS man did it do me in for aiptasias lol

I had the same issue in my previous tank when i kept mini darts and cardinals. I was feeding rotifers/bbs daily and had the worst outbreak of aiptasia. It took a few bergia and about 2 months to completely rid my tank of berghia.

so many toys to play with lately.

So today I meat up with a friend to borrow his apogee PAR meter. I've never really known how much PAR I have in my tank so why not try and figure it out. Keep in mind I keep mostly SPS, so these numbers reflect what SPS need for proper growth and colors.

6828301388_3faa74a57a_z.jpg

PAR values by ECSuyu, on Flickr

Nice readings....have you tried testing with just T5's and then just LEDS?

That'd be a nice test, I'll do that later :) thanks for the idea

Np..I tested mine not too long ago. My tank is T5 lit with LED supplementation and i was nicely surprised by the the numbers.

Np..I tested mine not too long ago. My tank is T5 lit with LED supplementation and i was nicely surprised by the the numbers.

and here are the results, my T5s are old ones from...when I used them with MHs, so a good 2-3 yrs ago. I dont plan on changing them until they become really dim but is probably the reason for the epic low readings. and the fact that I have them at an angle.

Edit: photo was the same one I used, was a bit lazy to take new ones just for this :)

T5 readings

6974976679_8e2b2f4544_z.jpg

T5 PAR reading by ECSuyu, on Flickr

LED readings

6828851300_ac753e2c58_z.jpg

LED only PAR reading by ECSuyu, on Flickr

Wow im really impressed by those T5 PAR numbers when you consider their age....

Really? I felt they were low, but I guess if you consider how old they are its pretty high. The reflectors are actually pretty high quality from sunblaster, and the individual reflectors probably helped a ton.

Archived