Cultivated Reef

Calvin415's ADA 60P

calvin415

SouthFlorida_Tron
Only cranked for 1 hour a day, and no everything is doing great!!!

changed my setup cuz of you lol! so far so good, no bleaching after 5 days, im sure i would have seen some by now.... went from a blue setting to even 60-60-60 for 1 hr t peak, may change it to 70 but those whites seem to do the roasting more than the blues would you agree?

BTW, what sand are you using?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
changed my setup cuz of you lol! so far so good, no bleaching after 5 days, im sure i would have seen some by now.... went from a blue setting to even 60-60-60 for 1 hr t peak, may change it to 70 but those whites seem to do the roasting more than the blues would you agree?

BTW, what sand are you using?

Yeah, I would think the whites would be the one to do damage, but thus far mine are making my SPS look great, and most of my LPS are doing fantastic... I have lost a few pieces, but not sure if it was directly related to the light or not... Lost an alveopora, and a purple/green fungia plate... I've heard a number of people have issues with the purple/green plates so I'm not alone on this one, and I know someone else with the same alveopora as and also just lost his so I'm not convinced it's the light. If it is, so be it, my SPS have priority. LOL

Sand is Caribsea Argalive.

If I recall Fiji is about the same... Mine is certainly more coarse than sugar sand, but is not so coarse I would worry about any diggers.

Happy Halloween!!! I think I have my final Acro's... Picked up a Pink Mille, GARF Bonsai, and Blue Tort. Now the maintain game, I'll work on more pics soon. :)

..I think I have my final Acro's... Picked up a Pink Mille, GARF Bonsai, and Blue Tort. Now the maintain game, I'll work on more pics soon. :)

Now it really begins! :D Lets see some SPS shots!

Decided to graph my lighting schedule, so far it's been working great!

Color changes from 20K to 10K at peak time, and back to 20K at end of the day. I'm seeing great color and growth from my AI Sol Blue.

LEDSchedule.jpg

Time W/B/R Ramp Up

7:00 10/15/15 120m

9:00 25/30/30 120m

11:00 50/55/55 120m

1:00 100/80/80 60m

3:00 50/55/55 120m

5:00 25/30/30 120m

9:00 0/0/2 120m Lunar cycle

• Like 1
Decided to graph my lighting schedule, so far it's been working great!

Color changes from 20K to 10K at peak time, and back to 20K at end of the day. I'm seeing great color and growth from my AI Sol Blue.

LEDSchedule.jpg

Time W/B/R Ramp Up

9:00 25/30/30 120m

11:00 50/55/55 120m

1:00 100/80/80 60m

3:00 50/55/55 120m

5:00 25/30/30 120m

9:00 0/0/2 120m Lunar cycle

Info-graphics are awesome.

Tank looks awesome calvin. Sad to see that you sold the 12' but the new ada looks awesome. I looked at there tanks online... Damn it i want one!

• 2 weeks later...
Info-graphics are awesome.

Thanks glad they help. :D

Tank looks awesome calvin. Sad to see that you sold the 12' but the new ada looks awesome. I looked at there tanks online... Damn it i want one!

Get one! You won't be disappointed!!!

Calvin, how about a buffet of pics please.... We want to see MOAR RAWR!

:ninja:

See what I can do... ;)

Tank looks Crazy Great! Thanks for showing the ramp times as well!

O... And yes, SHOW MORE PICS :D ..please

Thanks!

Quick question for you calvin. About how far is your fixture mounted from the surface of your waterline?

See next quote...

10-12 inches above the tank is what he posted

Yep. :)

So I tried to get some pics tonight, I really need to invest in a better camera and some lenses...

First, yes I was lazy, you can see the film on the glass in this first shot, but to those who are still skeptical on the Algae Turf Scrubber, that is without cleaning the glass for 1 week.

DSCN6727.jpg

Here are some more top downs...

Newest Chalice, currently in the corner to adjust...

DSCN6728.jpg

One of the first acro's I added when I setup the tank...

DSCN6700.jpg

Another first acro (Red Planet) from when I setup the tank...

DSCN6720.jpg

War Coral is really starting to grow...

DSCN6709.jpg

Another shot through the dirty glass...

DSCN6695.jpg

And here is my latest project, I'm working on trying to breed my sexy shrimp. I currently have 4 Females, and 2 Males. Strange behavior tonight, 1 Male was hanging with all 4 Females, while the remaining Male was left solo.

DSCN6730.jpg

Some more side shots through the dirty glass...

DSCN6684.jpg

DSCN6681.jpg

DSCN6678.jpg

In this top down, you can see the lone male in the bottom right corner...

DSCN6734.jpg

• Like 1

hey calvin, question about your light.

in your pictures, the white LED doesnt seem to be the cool white but more of a warm white. is it due to the white balance of the camera? what white LED does AL Sol use?

thanks

talking about the lamp, I also see AI uses a RB, B, NW combo (not sure if is neutral white) but my concern is with the regular blue. Those give a windex look so it is being used with caution in all DIY lamps. Do you have independent control over the two different blues or does it adjust the whole blue channel ?

hey calvin, question about your light.

in your pictures, the white LED doesnt seem to be the cool white but more of a warm white. is it due to the white balance of the camera? what white LED does AL Sol use?

thanks

Yes, the white balance is certainly custom...

Here is what I've read they use: Cree: XPGWHT-L1

talking about the lamp, I also see AI uses a RB, B, NW combo (not sure if is neutral white) but my concern is with the regular blue. Those give a windex look so it is being used with caution in all DIY lamps. Do you have independent control over the two different blues or does it adjust the whole blue channel ?

Yes, I can control the Blue and Royal Blue settings independently, but I personally keep them in balance... You have control over all 3 colors so there really is no limit to dialing in the color you want. :)

Just an FYI. I asked this question of the support team at AI.

Henry, Nov-25 07:59 (CST):

I have a SOL super blue module. Can you tell me what settings I would use to achieve a 20k metal halide color? What would be the spread in percentage between the three. I am assuming the intensity would just help to emulate a 150 or 200 watt etc. metal halide but I need to know how much white blue and royal blue would get to the 20k color.

## Please do not write below this line ##

Ticket #3258: Settings to achieve a 20k color

Your request (#3258) has been deemed solved.

Justin Walsh, Nov-28 10:16 (CST):

Hello Henry,

At 100% intensity, the Sol Blue is the equivalent to a 270W MH and a spectrum of 20K. I believe that if you were to do equal settings on your intensities you will be seeing that 20K appeal. For example: 30 30 30/ 50 50 50 etc.

Regards,

Justin

AI

Great tank write up Calvin,

I wanted to ask why you chose the ATS over bio-pellets?

I am currently using bio-pellets in my tank, but if they don't work out I will probably go the ATS route. Looks like you are having pretty good success with it. Right now, with bio-pellets, I am cleaning my glass tank every 3 days.

Archived