SaltCritters.com

Calvin415's ADA 60P

calvin415

Good to know, thanks!

NP. :)

Just an FYI. I asked this question of the support team at AI.

Henry, Nov-25 07:59 (CST):

I have a SOL super blue module. Can you tell me what settings I would use to achieve a 20k metal halide color? What would be the spread in percentage between the three. I am assuming the intensity would just help to emulate a 150 or 200 watt etc. metal halide but I need to know how much white blue and royal blue would get to the 20k color.

## Please do not write below this line ##

Ticket #3258: Settings to achieve a 20k color

Your request (#3258) has been deemed solved.

Justin Walsh, Nov-28 10:16 (CST):

Hello Henry,

At 100% intensity, the Sol Blue is the equivalent to a 270W MH and a spectrum of 20K. I believe that if you were to do equal settings on your intensities you will be seeing that 20K appeal. For example: 30 30 30/ 50 50 50 etc.

Regards,

Justin

AI

Good to know my hunch was correct. That is what I run before and after the noon time settings.

More info on AI's in the link in my sig

Nice pics calvin

Thanks.

Great tank write up Calvin,

I wanted to ask why you chose the ATS over bio-pellets?

I am currently using bio-pellets in my tank, but if they don't work out I will probably go the ATS route. Looks like you are having pretty good success with it. Right now, with bio-pellets, I am cleaning my glass tank every 3 days.

Because the ATS cost me less than $5, never requires any other purchases, and is completely natural. :)

So here is an update!!! I have eggs!!! Two, possibly three of my sexy shrimp are carrying! Here are some pics, sorry for the quality, I was spastic in my settings and didn't have time to clean the glass, just trying to get some pics before they moved...

DSCN6744-1.jpg

DSCN6745-1.jpg

DSCN6746-1.jpg

SexyShrimpEggs-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron

Wow haha I wouldn't have even caught that lol... Nice

Hey Calvin, how did you do that lighting graph? Can u hook me up?

Wow haha I wouldn't have even caught that lol... Nice

Hey Calvin, how did you do that lighting graph? Can u hook me up?

Just entered the numbers into Excel and then line graphed it...

SouthFlorida_Tron
Just entered the numbers into Excel and then line graphed it...

Ahhhh thx

Just enter them across or straight down? Put in times and levels? Or just %'s

Great tank, isn't it great to go smaller/simpler sometimes?! Your 12er was amazing but I imagine that the maintenance on this puppy is much easier to manage.

Great to see another CO reefer on here! Absolutely an incredible tank. Just loving the asthetics! Really inspiring me to get my new rimless setup going ASAP! Hope to be cycling by new years if the actually tank comes in by then. Thanks for sharing this with us, a true work of art!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How's that check-valve working for you? I depend on one as well for my display tank. Without it, my water level would actually drop to the sandbed. It's been about 3 years now and I've never had a problem, but I do replace the check-valve annually.

Depending on your results, you might want to move the valve a little lower in your plumbing, tho do keep it upright. I tested these extensively before deciding to use one and found they require a minimum of 2 feet of vertical water column for a 100% seal. If you do move it lower, be sure to keep it above your sump's high water line, as placing it lower can result in back pressure and a failure to seal.

Originally I cleaned them out with vinegar every 3 to 6 months until I realized the vinegar weakens the rubber hinge until it eventually starts bouncing instead of closing down. Once it's weak enough, it can keep bouncing indefinitely, resulting in a slow drain. So I just check it for algae and otherwise leave it alone until I replace it.

Impressive style and excellent engineering.

Great tank, isn't it great to go smaller/simpler sometimes?! Your 12er was amazing but I imagine that the maintenance on this puppy is much easier to manage.

Oh yes! Much easier to maintain, and honestly with the ATS, cleaning the glass is my easiest tank yet, not only because it is smaller, but because I just don't get a lot of growth! I clean this one about every 2 weeks, and there isn't much to clean even after 2 weeks!

Great to see another CO reefer on here! Absolutely an incredible tank. Just loving the asthetics! Really inspiring me to get my new rimless setup going ASAP! Hope to be cycling by new years if the actually tank comes in by then. Thanks for sharing this with us, a true work of art!

Thanks! Glad to see more CO Reefers on here, there are quite a few of us! Lots of activities going on all the time across the front range, do you attend any of the events? Thanks for your kind words!

any updates? this tank and build are amazing!!

Spent the last month or so trying to raise my baby shrimp fry only to get frustrated and throw in the towel at the end. :( Just started getting back into my tank again, and working on stocking it up with some fish again, and just trying to enjoy it. Still not sure if I'm happy with my lights, so time will tell if I make another change.

How's that check-valve working for you? I depend on one as well for my display tank. Without it, my water level would actually drop to the sandbed. It's been about 3 years now and I've never had a problem, but I do replace the check-valve annually.

Depending on your results, you might want to move the valve a little lower in your plumbing, tho do keep it upright. I tested these extensively before deciding to use one and found they require a minimum of 2 feet of vertical water column for a 100% seal. If you do move it lower, be sure to keep it above your sump's high water line, as placing it lower can result in back pressure and a failure to seal.

Originally I cleaned them out with vinegar every 3 to 6 months until I realized the vinegar weakens the rubber hinge until it eventually starts bouncing instead of closing down. Once it's weak enough, it can keep bouncing indefinitely, resulting in a slow drain. So I just check it for algae and otherwise leave it alone until I replace it.

Impressive style and excellent engineering.

So far, my check valve is working fine, I test it out monthly for any issues when I perform my monthly water change but thus far we haven't had any power outages that have made me have to rely on it. *knock on wood* As for moving it lower, it's working fine where it is, so I have no plans to move it. It is pretty dark where it is so I don't have any growth or issues that would require me to clean it, once I hit the 1 year mark I may replace it (sooner if it fails on a test) but so far, I can't complain.

Thanks!

So since it's been a while, and I'm re-motivated again I picked up a couple new fish last night, an occelaris clown, and a royal gramma... Bringing my fish collection to 3 as I still have my golden lawnmower blenny. If anyone hasn't seen one before, here is a pic I was able to find. Not mine, but looks just like it.

924091512.jpg

Anyway, like I said before, I'm still not happy with the color of my corals and growth so I may be trying another light down the road, in the mean time, I'm hoping the fish poop will give them what they have been missing. Hope to still add a couple more fish, but will be down the road.

-Eric

If you're worried about power loss, consider hooking in a deep-cycle marine battery and an inverter with auto-switching. I believe TrippLite still makes a 700w auto. I used one myself until an outdoor trampoline flew into an electrical substation and the resulting power surge reminded me why it's a good idea to have a grounded line. :]

I can't afford to replace the dang thing, but when I had it hooked up to my Velocity-4 return pump, a single deep-cycle battery gave me 6 hours of uninterrupted full power pumping. Typically, it was more than enough for the brief power outages we get around here during the windy months.

Glad you're feeling remotived. The baby brine shrimp NEED YOU! :D I got a few bubbling right now myself. ;)

Vertex makes some awesome lights...

Yeah, not at that price point. ;)

The baby brine shrimp NEED YOU! :D I got a few bubbling right now myself. ;)

If I ever see BBS again it will be too soon. :(

I would think the AI stuff would do just fine. Chris Capp is running them on his 460 and he is the color king. Where are you getting your fish from? Seems like the same old same old at the lfs's in town. I could use a few more but I need to mail order for selection.

• 2 weeks later...
I would think the AI stuff would do just fine. Chris Capp is running them on his 460 and he is the color king. Where are you getting your fish from? Seems like the same old same old at the lfs's in town. I could use a few more but I need to mail order for selection.

Yeah, giving it another shot... Going to drop the turf scrubber, I think it might be pulling too much out of the water. Going to try adding more fish poop to see if it helps. I asked Chris (Reefkoi) to order some fish for me, still waiting to find out if he can get them, but hoping he can come through. I agree with the same old, same old... I've thought about Live Aquaria, but don't need that many fish to get free shipping and I hate opening up a group buy cause then everyone wants something and it's a headache to do.

Yeah, giving it another shot... Going to drop the turf scrubber, I think it might be pulling too much out of the water. Going to try adding more fish poop to see if it helps.

Why not cut down a portion of the scrubber instead of taking it off line entirely?

You have any more bam bams? Your were always so bright and I am looking for a frag.

I have a small patch in my Dad's system, but I don't have any myself...

Why not cut down a portion of the scrubber instead of taking it off line entirely?

Cause I'm extreme like that. ;) LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone, I've been working on fighting some dinos from my attempt at breeding my shrimp, but I'm getting close to eradicating them and getting some color back in some of my SPS. I think the tank has been too sterile without fish so I've since been adding some fish, feeding heavy, and setup a diy kalk reactor to help fight the dinos. So far so good, just hoping things continue to improve as they have over the last couple weeks. I've also done a little house cleaning, and dumped a few corals I felt were taking up too much room or not coloring up, and picked up a few more. I have a bleeding apple scolly, and a solid red scolly that should arrive some time this week to go with the war paint scolly I picked up last week. Also working on an acan garden, so once I have things settled in, I'll snap some new pics.

Hi Eric. Hope all is well. Your tank is looking amazing and those scollies are stunning.

Yep, all is well! Finally finding the motivation to spend some money on my system... Working on stocking up on some LPS, more to come. :)

Great looking tank man. i need a ADA tank in my life..lol

Thanks! Yeah everyone needs at least 1 ADA, working on trying to convince my wife to let me get another. ;)

Added another pic tonight of my happy family. ;)

Scolly-1.jpg

Also did a video of my DIY kalk reactor to help explain how it works.

http://youtu.be/r8sU-Kgii8Y

• Like 1

Archived