Pod Your Reef

Nebthet's 20L pygmy clown tank: Euphyllia Forest and Juvi clowns 2b readded

nebthet

wow.. ur clowns are so much more badass than my pansy clowns.. they swim.. and then get confused.. and swim some more

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All my clowns are surprisingly active like that, but the juvi's here should settle down in a couple days and then even more (at least the smaller one) once I get the anemone in there.

I can't believe it has almost been three months..

My BoostLed All Royal Blues came in the mail today.. yes... so I decided to check them out just to see what they would look like. I have to go to walmart and get a couple lamps that I can take apart and some more chain to I can put them up on Monday.

Front tank shot.

All RB only

20LRB03-11-2011.jpg

2 All Royal Blue and the Nanocustoms 12000k in the centre

20L2rb1nc.jpg

This is my GSP

All RB only

20Lrbgsp03-11-2011.jpg

20Lgsp03-11-2011.jpg

Green Bottlebrush Frag - Looks more like an ORA Verde now

All RB only

20LbottlebrushRB03-11-2011.jpg

20Lbottlebrush03-11-2011.jpg

I couldn't get a decent shot of my red digitata frags. The red really really glowed under these lights, but I haven't figured out the setting on my camera enough to compensate for the lighting and exposure. I am going to have to get some tips on that.

My mind friggin blew when I saw my green bottlebrush under the all royal blues though. Seriously, it looks like it dropped acid at a hippy show.

So on Monday, when I get the other parts (which depends on my tax refund being deposited into my account), I am thinking of using the two Nanocustoms 12k bulbs in the centre and the two Par30 RB's on the ends to give a decent mix of lighting where I need it most. Considering the anemone I want to keep will be going in the middle of the tank.

On another note.. I removed the MJ1200 from the end of the tank, and added a new Knano265 or whatever it is. I put the K1 in the rear position because it is larger, so I can have more room towards the front.

Additionally, my two smaller clowns are no longer fighting with each other and have paired up and follow each other all over the place. LOL. :D

Thanks AM... I am just sooo glad I was able to get Runt out of the big tank.. there is definitely something to be said for patience... and just hitting the right moment. LOL.

And just think.. Omen is about 2 inches and Runt is only 1 inch is size and both are 2 years old in May.

It will be interesting to see if either o them begin growing again and reach regular clown size or not.

Did you watch the video?

name='nebthet' date='Mar 5 2011, 09:27 PM' post='3266392']

Beginning of the month update for March.

Added a Tangora goby to this tank. It's pretty cool looking actually and only reaches a max size of 2.1 inches, so it makes my little clown in here seem big. They are not a very active fish, just kinda sits there most of the time, but scoots where ever it wants.

Here are two pics.. almost the same, but one with his dorsal fin up and the other down.

tangora03-05-2011.jpg

20Ltangora03-05-2011.jpg

Thanks for hitting my build!

I have been so busy working on the lighting for my 20L I have not payed much attention to the other 20l's going.

Just freshened up on your build and I have to say this is one beautiful fish.

Thanks Deano..

The Tangora goby is friggin awesome. I love it.. I am having a hard time finding out what it likes to eat though.. I saw it nip at some mysis once but it won't eat when it is being watched. I am thinking it is actually going after the pods in my tank instead, so I am going to have to come up with a way to feed it better. At least it is not getting thin or anything though.

squirrelieygrrrl

noice nebs!

love the goby and the color contrast pics. very cool. this tank is gonna be awesome once its mature! keep up the good work!

Thanks again Squirrelie.

I picked some frags up for this tank today to give it more of a reef feel. It is going to be a few more months before I can add the anemone I want to it, then I will move some of the frags out and into my other tank.

Got a 2 head branching hammer frag.

Got a 5+heat torch coral

Purple acan

Blue with red centre acan.

Also added two red band trochus snails and two black hermits.

For my other tank, I got two feather dusters. Some snails and black hermits, and an acro crab, and was given his home for free because it has RTN.. I might get lucky and save it.

Pics of these will come later once they get used to my system.

I finally got my Boostled all royal blues set up now. I also had the chance to go to my not so local fish supplier and get a few small corals for this tank since it is going to be a bit yet before I can have an anemone in here.

All five lights on at the same time.. it actually makes for a very nice looking tank and not too bright. The all royal blues get rid of the yellowish color from the Ice CooLed bubs... unfortunately, until I can verify the par value of the Royal Blues. I don't want to burn my corals.

20Llights03-14-2011.jpg

New Acans

20Lpurpleacan03-14-2011.jpg

20Lblueacan03-14-2011.jpg

My dirty dirty rated xxx Torch

20Ltorch03-14-2011.jpg

2 head branching Hammer

20Lhammer03-14-2011.jpg

20Lhammerroyals03-14-2011.jpg

Updated pics of my sps

20Lacro03-14-2011.jpg

20Lbottlebrush03-14-2011.jpg

20Lrdigitata03-14-2011.jpg

20Lreddigi03-14-2011.jpg

Snail

20Lsnail03-14-2011.jpg

No, not yet.. I am only running three max at once.. the two royal blues come on for the first hour.. then go off as the other three bulbs come on, and then the reverse for night time.. so I am getting the dawn/dusk effect I wanted.

But ideally, just for the looks of the tank, having all five bulbs running at once looks better. Bur I am not going to do that for any extended period of time until I can figure out what par I am getting.

doppelganger

wow sweet. love the hammer glow. Ya that's definitely some strong PAR you probably have going there. Your set up looks pretty easy to raise up if you have to tho so... I'm sure once your coral have gotten use to it and you find a nice sweet spot in terms of height you can probably run all 5 to get the color ur looking for. Great work btw! =P

Thanks..

The breakdown of the leds is as follows.

- 2 nanocustoms - 12k w/5leds

- 1 IceCooLed 10k w/9leds

I run these 3 bulbs all together. They sit 10inches above my tank.

-2 BoostLed - All Royal Blues w/5leds

I run independently right now, one our before the three main lights come on and one hour after.

Doppleganger, yes, I went with the chains so that I could easily raise and lower as required. I find the height of the 10inches really nice with the three bulbs right now, and the corals seems to like it as well.

Thanks for the compliment.. now I have to work on the cyano issues cropping up... if two powerheads and a AC50 aren't enough flow.. lol.

squirrelieygrrrl

wow nebs!

great new shots! love that digi, what is it called? and wholy begeezuz look at those lights! thats quite the set up. youre making me reconsider my lighting ideas now that ive seen what youre doing. hmmmm......

gah. and just when i thought i had it all figured out! its all youre fault nebs! now ive gotta go back to the drawing board. lulz!

They are red digitats, and frankly I think it might be a forest fire as the mother colony grows out green tips.

Definitely go with leds if you can.. buy used when you can and new if you have to. You won't regret it.. I am wanted to do my 57g with leds now, but it will take a while to save up for it. But I like the fact that I don't have to worry about additional heat issues (especially in my bedroom in the summer because it gets very warm, and I can't put AC in there), and the additional fact that I don't have to spend $100 plus buying new bulbs every year.

So do it Squirellie.... you won't regret it. If you went with PAR bulbs you could get away with five on your tank, depending on how you do the rock work and because of the depth of the 40, you could probably do the 60 degree optics.

Not on this tank.. no.. I have a tam rio on this tank, but it isn't running just yet. The coralife skimmer is just too big.. the rio power head on it is larger than a mj1200 and I don't want that space taken up.

Not on this tank.. no.. I have a tam rio on this tank, but it isn't running just yet. The coralife skimmer is just too big.. the rio power head on it is larger than a mj1200 and I don't want that space taken up.

ok cool, i was just wondering -- ur first post mentioned it.. UPDATE UR TANK DETAILS.. lol lol

If you can afford it, definitely go with the LEDs. The no heat issues, and the fact you don't have to change bulbs every year on top of corals that love the light from them and the shimmer effect are all bonuses..

Archived