inTank Media Baskets

Nebthet's 20L pygmy clown tank: Euphyllia Forest and Juvi clowns 2b readded

nebthet

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The larger tank is going to be a birthday gift to myself at the end of October. lol... In the mean time I have been concentrating on taking pics of the stars and what not.

• 4 months later...

Well it has been a long time since I have done any updates for this time. There is some good news and some bad new with it.

The good news is that this tank is still going. I am surprised it hasn't crashed, and I think it is only due to the fact that I have a deep sand bed in it.

I wasn't home a lot during the summer so one of the things I had to do is get rid of my mandarin goby, because me not home, means I couldn't go out when I needed to restock the tank with pods and stuff to keep her fed, so she went to a good home with a big tank.

Next came the fact that unfortunately I lost track of doing water changes and just stopped altogether. I haven't done one since the middle of July.

The really bad... my smallest clown Runt is in fishy heaven. The dumbass decided to jump out of my tank on the eve of Fan Ex2011.. :*( I was in bed at the time and heard him jump and him flapping against something, like fishies do when they flop on a flat surface, but I couldn't find him. I even pulled the dresser with the tank away from the wall to see if he got stuck in the middle of some where to find out.. after 15min he stopped flopping.. I nearly cried.. I loved that fish. Omen is still alive though.

So now I need to find a small juvi to add to this tank.. I am think a BW occi.

Due to lack of water changes in this tank, sps dwindled.. really, I don't mind that.. I like this tank as more of an lps tank any ways, plus they were not responding to the LEDS as much I would have liked them too. I am no longer even trying to use a skimmer on this tank, so that makes a difference too.

In Oct, the tank had a cyano bloom. I left it to do it's thing and just got rid of the excess near the corals I liked and decided to let it kill itself out. It is almost finished now. I only almost lost one torch from it covering the skeleton, but it is the one that the hermits crawled over all the time, so I blame 50/50 on that.

Omen is healthy. No ich, or anything else on him/her.

Torches, frogspawn and hammer are all doing great. Though I think the one has been slowly bleaching, but not getting smaller, so I am going to watch that one.

Acans are doing as great as ever, so I moved my acans from the larger tank into this one today because I really needed the room in that other tank as the rbta clone was beginning to sting them.

Also to a surprise, the three brittle stars I had have triple in size. I now have 10, and they were spawning tonight.. weird to watch the white stuff shoot out from their underside.. wished I was able to take pics of that... but of course battery right when it was happening.. dammit!

So here are some pics from this tank... I am a little out of practice taking tank shots, as I was busy doing other things this summer and my battery was dying.

20Lfts11-24-2011.jpg

20Lacan1-11-24-2011.jpg

20Lacan2-11-24-2011.jpg

20Lacan3-11-24-2011.jpg

20Lacans2-11-24-2011.jpg

20Lacans1-11-24-2011.jpg

froggy1-11-24-2011.jpg

greenpinkfrog11-24-2011.jpg

lilhammer11-24-2011.jpg

octo11-24-2011.jpg

octofrog11-24-2011.jpg

litetorch2-11-24-2011.jpg

litetorch11-24-2011.jpg

palefroggy11-24-2011.jpg

oranget11-24-2011.jpg

orangetorch11-24-2011.jpg

pinktipfroggy11-24-2011.jpg

star1-11-24-2011.jpg

brittle11-24-2011.jpg

brittlestar11-24-2011.jpg

Look at nebthet bring all us canadians together ;)

haha Im also in Kingston.

nebthet I love your 20L, was wondering did you ever find out why your clowns growth was stunted? I belive mine have done the same.. Pm if you like, would be nice to chat with another local reefer.

Thanks AM.. I am still heart broke about Runt.. it makes me so sad.

Glad you liked the brittle star pics..

I was so surprised to see 10 of them in this tank after the lack of maintenance. You can clearly see where a few of them had divided in half. I didn't even have this many in my bigger tank when I first set it up. So I am happy about that. I have always loved the brittle stars.

Hey Boxboy. Yep... I like all my Canadian followers!

Sweet that you are so darn close to me!! That's awesome.. That means you know about Jim's in Gananoque!! or I hope so.

To answer your question, nope, I never found out why the stunted growth.. but I speculate that it was due to the fact they were not only shipped out so young by Christosclowns when he sent them. (seriously, they were the size of my pinky finger nail) so so small. Which meant, I had to put them in a quaranteen container in the main tank to keep them from being eaten by larger fish, and especially Big Momma.

Other than size, at least they haven't had any other deformities, which makes me wonder why someone hasn't experimented with a couple batch of clown eggs that once they get to a certain size, segregating them into small containers and stunting growth a bit to try to manipulate genes in a manner that mini clowns are developed for nano tanks. I mean, we are already manipulating the genes for color, why not size. But that is just me. Someone will do it one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...

lookin good neb :)

My SPS tank is back up to full steam this year.

Also, were moving to Perth, ON in May.

Also, I'm engaged. See pic below. I set my camera on auto shoot, and captured it... aren't I clever?

edit: ALSO i just saw your post on my thread lol

post-46829-1323247038_thumb.jpg

Thanks AM.. I am still heart broke about Runt.. it makes me so sad.

Glad you liked the brittle star pics..

I was so surprised to see 10 of them in this tank after the lack of maintenance. You can clearly see where a few of them had divided in half. I didn't even have this many in my bigger tank when I first set it up. So I am happy about that. I have always loved the brittle stars.

Hey Boxboy. Yep... I like all my Canadian followers!

Sweet that you are so darn close to me!! That's awesome.. That means you know about Jim's in Gananoque!! or I hope so.

To answer your question, nope, I never found out why the stunted growth.. but I speculate that it was due to the fact they were not only shipped out so young by Christosclowns when he sent them. (seriously, they were the size of my pinky finger nail) so so small. Which meant, I had to put them in a quaranteen container in the main tank to keep them from being eaten by larger fish, and especially Big Momma.

Other than size, at least they haven't had any other deformities, which makes me wonder why someone hasn't experimented with a couple batch of clown eggs that once they get to a certain size, segregating them into small containers and stunting growth a bit to try to manipulate genes in a manner that mini clowns are developed for nano tanks. I mean, we are already manipulating the genes for color, why not size. But that is just me. Someone will do it one of these days.

That would be very nice idea to breed mini clowns. Yes I do know Jim, He is the only place I get anything from. My tank dont look as good as yours, yet lol Im working on it. SOO your right in Kingston? or on outskirts? I love meeting new ppl that have at least one of the same intrestes.

Yeah... unfortunately the smallest of the pair I had jumped tank in August so I have to find a new mate for the one I have. Which will be difficult as most fish you get in stores are larger than he is at over two years of age, and because he/ possibly she now has stunted growth, there is high doubt it will be able to breed.

Nope.. I am not in Kingston, but I am in Belleville which is about 45 minutes west of Kingston.

Yeah... unfortunately the smallest of the pair I had jumped tank in August so I have to find a new mate for the one I have. Which will be difficult as most fish you get in stores are larger than he is at over two years of age, and because he/ possibly she now has stunted growth, there is high doubt it will be able to breed.

Nope.. I am not in Kingston, but I am in Belleville which is about 45 minutes west of Kingston.

whos Christosclowns? I go tmy 2 clowns from Jim. very nice clowns. Belleville is not that far lol. good to talk to more local ppl about reefing.

Christosclowns is a member on here who used to breed clownfish, just look up his user name. Jim bought a bunch of babies off of him, and was told they were suppose to be 60 days old but when the fish came in they were no longer than the size of the fingernail on your pinky finger.. They were just getting their head stripes.

Nope, Kingston is not that far at all.. I was just there the other day with a couple of friends and went up to Jim's and got a couple of fish for this tank.

Got a black clown Goby (neat thing with flourescent blue lines on it) and I got a sleeper head goby as well, who has taken to creating piles of sand in several places as it looks for a burrow. LOL.

I will have pics in a couple of days.

cant wait for pics lol, I just re did my scape, trying to make room for fish and more corals when the $$ allow lol

I love you tank Nebthet

Thanks Boxboy..

LOL Dendroguy, that is partially the reason why I named Omen what I did.

So as promised, here are a couple of pics of the new additions to the tank, and one of Omen.

The black clown goby:

I love the color on this guy.. He is the same size as Omen right now so they make nice companions, and while shy right now, he is eating the flake food without any issues. His fins are so pretty when he's swimming.

20Lcgoby1-11-25-2011.jpg

20Lcgoby2-11-25-2011.jpg

Sand sifting Goby:

This guy has a lot of character and my cat likes to try to catch him at night when he is trying to attack the reflection of himself. He has succeeded in making a burrow under the rock on this part of the tank. Figures, so he has piled all the black sand around the area. At least he TRIED, though not always successfully, to miss the corals when he was making his burrow.

20Lsiftergoby11-25-2011.jpg

And Omen..

20Lomen11-25-2011.jpg

• 2 years later...

Archived