inTank Media Baskets

Nebthet's 20L pygmy clown tank: Euphyllia Forest and Juvi clowns 2b readded

nebthet

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omgomgomg omgomgomg I haz diatoms!! omgomgomg omgomgomg

and all the garbage frag shards I put in there are still alive.

Readings for today:

ammonia: 0.50

nitrite: 0.25

nitrate: 5-10

Actually, the pictures are pretty close to true to life, which I was surprised about, and now that I have added the third bulb, the color is more even through out the tank, but the right side is more white yellowish.

Here are some more pictures showing the new light up and running.

Thanks again Pismo_Reefer for the fugly light.. works well over my system.

frontwlites01-14-2011.jpg

20lfts01-14-2011.jpg

bigrock01-14-2011.jpg

Diatoms continue to darken the rocks.

Put black cardboard on the back of the tank to give it a black background and also give me an indicator if something in the back like the Rio or AC50 is leaking.

Tests for today are:

Ammonia: 0.25 (finally showing like they are going down on their own)

Nitrite: 0.50 (up slightly as the ammo goes down)

Nitrates: 5-10 still

Ph: holding at 8.2

Nice, I like that scape.

I like the scape as it is too, but unfortunately, to ensure I have the correct amount of bioload I have to add more rock. I am going to try to keep it as clean looking as possible once I get more rock in. Hopefully that will be this upcoming Saturday.

I am getting in two medium/large pieces of Fiji Totokan established live rock and one medium large piece of eco-reefer rock and whatever small other pieces to make up for the poundage.

I am going to try to make a slight semi half circle in the middle to contain the sebae anemone when I get it, so it can spread out 12 inches or more if it wants. Thus leaving the sides and top for whatever else.

Diatoms today are getting pretty heavy in the higher lit areas and have spread over to the not so heavily lit parts.

I am going to need a clean up crew pretty soon too.

Tank Parameter readings today:

Ammonia: 0.0 (had to check twice to make sure)

Nitrite: 0.25

Nitrate: 5-10

PH: 8.2

Updated shot, showing the cardboard background I put on, and the dark diatom bloom.

20l01-18-2011.jpg

Oh and as of yesterdays readings, ammonia and nitrites were at 0 and nitrate was 5-10.

Right on dude, tanks lookin' great. I love the dark diatom bloom too, I wish mine was that bright. Instead, it went from light brown to green and now my cuc cleaned everything up nice nice :)

Whats the next plan for the tank? and how old is it again?

wowwwwww -- dude ur diatoms look awesome! lol.. mine looked like mud -- not that crips, and then went green ... lol

Right on dude, tanks lookin' great. I love the dark diatom bloom too, I wish mine was that bright. Instead, it went from light brown to green and now my cuc cleaned everything up nice nice :)

Whats the next plan for the tank? and how old is it again?

HOLY LIGHT BATMAN!!!

oh & let the shenanigans begin

I can't believe how dark the diatoms are either. But they are slowly receeding now and using up all the silicates in the water. It has been interesting watching the progress this time around as this rock was purposely bleached to death at the end of the summer and left to dry for several months before using it for this tank.

I should have more new established rock to put in there this upcoming Sat if all goes well, then the scaping will be complete. I plan on getting some clean up crew for it as well. I want 6 large nassarius snails (they can repopulate on their own), 2 trochus and 3 blue legged hermits.

Friggin snails are expensive in Canada compared to you guys in the US... Wish John of Reefcleaners would set up a sister business in Canada and keep the prices low.

For example, he sells cerith snails larger ones he sells for $0.40 and the stores up here sell them for $2.50 to $3.00 each. The same for nassarius snails. $1.50 for the tiny ones and up to $3.00 for the larger adults.

It's stupid what the mark up is.

Once the new rock and CUC is in there, then it is a matter of waiting to ensure the parameters remain stable, and then I can add the clowns and bengaii in there. Then a few more months down the road add the anemone.

LOL.... JBM. There isn't that much light??? is there?? LOL The three par38 bulbs are the perfect amount for this size of tank for what I want to do.. they are all 12 inches over the tank from the tank top to the bulb itsself, and it is yet to be determined if I need to raise them or lower them.

ooooo .... shenanigans :naughtydance:

Parameters for today!!

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 0

PH: 8.2

yea i went into big als thinking i was gonna get 10 snails.. saw that they tiniest ones were 2.50 each.. thougth id wait it out... just got back from NAFB in scarborough -- not quite sure how far that is from you... its around an hour and a half.. a bit less or so for me.. .but they got some pretty good prices for their livestock there... drystock and equipment is reaal pricey.. lol.. but corals seem nice, and fish were decent

yea i went into big als thinking i was gonna get 10 snails.. saw that they tiniest ones were 2.50 each.. thougth id wait it out... just got back from NAFB in scarborough -- not quite sure how far that is from you... its around an hour and a half.. a bit less or so for me.. .but they got some pretty good prices for their livestock there... drystock and equipment is reaal pricey.. lol.. but corals seem nice, and fish were decent

Belleville is a good 2.2hrs away from Scarborough depending on how fast you drive. And since I don't drive, I can't get there, but their website (oceansdirect.ca) has some snails on it, but just nassarius and the last bunch they sent me when I ordered were tiny. They have margarita snails listed, but they are cold water snails, not reef snails. I wish they would get their new website finished and their stock listed on there, but they have been real slow with that.

shenanigans hath started

Yes... yes they have..

now I am debating on moving my one lone blue hermit from my display and putting him in this tank by himself..

yea i was gettin tired of their new website.. their old website pretty well represents how their store looks like.. lol, i had no idea that site existed.. .i was goin off the new website, and for that i was a bit disappointed.. They have a lot more inverts than the list on their website tho.. a few other crabs that weren't listed.. and a variety of snails.. the fish stock is a lot better in store than on website... anyways, point is u know bout the website so its all good. .lol

LOL.. Actually funny thing just happened... or as JBM would say..

SHENANIGANS!!!! omgomgomg:happydance:

A local guy whom I have been helping saw I needed some CUC and just dropped them off to me.. :)

He got me the following:

4 electric blue hermits (very cool looking by the way.. never had any of them before) ($3/each)

3 Trochus snails ($2/each)

6 Cerith snails ($1/each)

He got them from NAFB too.. after I recommended he stop there if he is in the area as opposed to Big Al's.. man they need to update their website because they had what I wanted in store, but not online ... I am so happy happy happy now. :)

Yeah no kidding. .I am sooo happy though.. those electric blue hermits are nailing those diatoms hard.. so I put one of them in my display tank.

good stuff man

LMAO......... :rolleyes:

yeah I'm not sure if I trust what's on the oceansdirect website. I've gone in a few times looking for stuff on there that they didn't have in stock. It's much better to just go in person and browse. I just don't think they update the site very much. Good place for coral tho.

omgomgomg

yay for CUC! Pics?

Wait a minute.... so your not a man man? Woah!

lol yes my apologies then -- i think i assumed and judged based on the display pic.. hahahah

Wait a minute.... so your not a man man? Woah!

That's right... Lol..

lol yes my apologies then -- i think i assumed and judged based on the display pic.. hahahah

Wha?? You assumed by the cute Pichu slappin his bum?? LOL... should have seen my level 80 Pichu decimate the elite four in my P. Diamond game. It was funny.

No need for an apology... every one automatically assumes I am a guy. It is they way I type and my speech patterns that do it I think. I grew up with four stepbrothers so some of that rubbed off on me. ..(I even like going to things like Fan Expo/Comic Cons' and actually enjoy myself. LOL).

Pix with CUC will come in tonight. Wanted to give them 24hours to adjust first.

Archived