Cultivated Reef

Wilioli's 10g Wet Dream

Wilioli

just got a new ac50 -- the mini switched off once last night.. i gave it a tap, and it went back on.. and then switched off today... no taps, cleaning or anything else helped it to go back on. It was almost 10 years old! So, this ac50 is great -- i cant' have it on the 'high' mode, otherwise the sand starts goin all over the place.. im amazed.. lol

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the t5's im looking at give me the "option" to chose the 4 bulbs from teh start.. .1 white, 3 blue, 2 white 2 blue, etc etc... what do u recommend? I thought 2 white and 2 blue was standard?

I was gonna make the 2 white 14000k... I cant decide between the actualy white from 10000, and the purple from 20000.. lol, lets stay happy in the middle

and newman, just do it, get the MH... you know you're going to.. forget this springtime business... just get er done, and put up pics on the tank thread.. and ill do the same too (with lights in general. .lol)

most stock bulbs don't cut it. but its all about how much or little blue you want. I have 2w/2b but I wouldn't have minded putting a purple or closer to UV and a yellower white one in there.

most stock bulbs don't cut it. but its all about how much or little blue you want. I have 2w/2b but I wouldn't have minded putting a purple or closer to UV and a yellower white one in there.

purple?! wow.. had no idea it came in purple.. i looked at the site again, and there's an option for PINK.. lol what???

pink is nice, I think I'll go with a pink/white light T5 bulb for my next replacement on the 10 gal's fixture.

And no, I am not getting the MH for any of my current tanks, I was taking about the future lol.

pink is nice, I think I'll go with a pink/white light T5 bulb for my next replacement on the 10 gal's fixture.

And no, I am not getting the MH for any of my current tanks, I was taking about the future lol.

I heard pink was for plants? and promotes algae growth -- more so than other bulbs...?

THE FUTURE IS NOW!

rofl, no pink doesnt promote algae growth any more than green promotes algae growth or orange promotes algae growth ._.

what promotes algae growth is an inbalance in the amount of light, and nutrients in the tank.

I know exactly what youre talking about though as I use a rosette bulb on my FW planted tank. I hate it btw lol its so dim and doesnt brighten up the tank at all.

The way I meant to use pink is via the UVL Red Sun T5 Bulb. This is supposed to make red colors and other warmer colors pop more, and i wondered how it will go with my Indigo sun bulb that I already use on the 10 gal. You see i dont really like the ATI Blue+ bulb too much cuz its just too blue. but who knows maybe the red sun bulb will look hideous lmao! We shall see. All i know is that parishilton does use the red bulb for supplementing his lighting and his coral does look very nice.

Ultimately I wonder if combining the indigo sun and red sun bulbs would make for a looks that is anything close to a 10,000K MH? xD Me and my MH.

rofl, no pink doesnt promote algae growth any more than green promotes algae growth or orange promotes algae growth ._.

what promotes algae growth is an inbalance in the amount of light, and nutrients in the tank.

I know exactly what youre talking about though as I use a rosette bulb on my FW planted tank. I hate it btw lol its so dim and doesnt brighten up the tank at all.

The way I meant to use pink is via the UVL Red Sun T5 Bulb. This is supposed to make red colors and other warmer colors pop more, and i wondered how it will go with my Indigo sun bulb that I already use on the 10 gal. You see i dont really like the ATI Blue+ bulb too much cuz its just too blue. but who knows maybe the red sun bulb will look hideous lmao! We shall see. All i know is that parishilton does use the red bulb for supplementing his lighting and his coral does look very nice.

Ultimately I wonder if combining the indigo sun and red sun bulbs would make for a looks that is anything close to a 10,000K MH? xD Me and my MH.

I wanted to use a red bulb too, but I never actually got around to buying any. next time round.

Welll... u get that red bulb and let me know !!! lol

I was lookin it up, and came across 1 bad review for it.. read it, and laughed -- this guy is basically me.. think u might find it funny http://bitURL.net/ashx

Is there a specific way to organize bulbs on the fixture? or up to you? I've seen this picture (cant find the link) where the guy had 6 bulbs.. first two were white... 2nd two were white and blue.... 3rd two where white and red.... -- but it looked the white was 'dampening' the blue and red? i dunno if thats possible... anyways, yea..

newman, let me know when u order those MH's.. lol

lol sure i'll let you know (in 5 years :lol:)

and yes that review did make me laugh. It kinda sounded like he used just the red bulb for his FW tank and nothing else... which of course would result in everything being red xD

idk it may be a bad idea after all, but i'll have to give it a shot once I have to replace my bulbs in a few months. I will also let you guys know if coral growth is better or worse or unchanged with the red sun bulb.

lol sure i'll let you know (in 5 years :lol:)

and yes that review did make me laugh. It kinda sounded like he used just the red bulb for his FW tank and nothing else... which of course would result in everything being red xD

idk it may be a bad idea after all, but i'll have to give it a shot once I have to replace my bulbs in a few months. I will also let you guys know if coral growth is better or worse or unchanged with the red sun bulb.

LOL -- good deal

just got the 20L.. so here's the issue im having.. . about to order my light fixture.. but i want to know -- how can i properly transfer the 10g into the 20L? I have about 35lbs of base rock and im going to use the 12lbs of live rock that I have... I have to buy new live sand -- will this cause an ammonia spike? and cause a mini cycle? Unsafe for the 2 oscellaris clowns? I wouldn't think it would cause a mini cycle, but I'm not sure.. I was going to use the water from the 10g tank, and add more water into the 20g long -- so figured it'd be like a water change..??

ps. is this too much rock? 12lbs live + 35lbs base = total 47lbs

not too much rock. IMO its best to setup the 20 gL then on its own first. easier this way to do the sand first so you get that taken care of and you will be able to test the water before adding the fish and inverts.

LOL -- good deal

just got the 20L.. so here's the issue im having.. . about to order my light fixture.. but i want to know -- how can i properly transfer the 10g into the 20L? I have about 35lbs of base rock and im going to use the 12lbs of live rock that I have... I have to buy new live sand -- will this cause an ammonia spike? and cause a mini cycle? Unsafe for the 2 oscellaris clowns? I wouldn't think it would cause a mini cycle, but I'm not sure.. I was going to use the water from the 10g tank, and add more water into the 20g long -- so figured it'd be like a water change..??

ps. is this too much rock? 12lbs live + 35lbs base = total 47lbs

Live sand is a dumb thing to pay extra for imo. Being in a bag for so long it's pretty much dead too. The only way you can get real live sand is pull it from an established tank.

Personally I'd prefer to let the new tank run for a few weeks at least before moving fish and other livestock. If you can that is. Otherwise clowns are very hardy and can survive a cycle. I've heard of a few instances. This is not recommended tho at all. (And I do a lot of unorthodox ####). You most likely will experience a cycle in this tank. If you MUST move all the livestock into the new tank, read up on soft cycling.

not too much rock. IMO its best to setup the 20 gL then on its own first. easier this way to do the sand first so you get that taken care of and you will be able to test the water before adding the fish and inverts.

ok so here's the thing.. .i wanted to transfer some of the parts of the 10g... like the filter.. so is it fine that the 20long has no filter in it while the sand is settling? I have a 100watt heater (too much?) and thats it... i can put the base rock in there.. but will the addition of live rock later on cause a spike? annnd, how long should i be watching the levels ?

Live sand is a dumb thing to pay extra for imo. Being in a bag for so long it's pretty much dead too. The only way you can get real live sand is pull it from an established tank.

Personally I'd prefer to let the new tank run for a few weeks at least before moving fish and other livestock. If you can that is. Otherwise clowns are very hardy and can survive a cycle. I've heard of a few instances. This is not recommended tho at all. (And I do a lot of unorthodox ####). You most likely will experience a cycle in this tank. If you MUST move all the livestock into the new tank, read up on soft cycling.

even with mixing water from my old tank into the new one? and leave the base rock in the new tank while it cycles for a few weeks? with or w/o filter?read my post to newman regarding this

ok so here's the thing.. .i wanted to transfer some of the parts of the 10g... like the filter.. so is it fine that the 20long has no filter in it while the sand is settling? I have a 100watt heater (too much?) and thats it... i can put the base rock in there.. but will the addition of live rock later on cause a spike? annnd, how long should i be watching the levels ?

even with mixing water from my old tank into the new one? and leave the base rock in the new tank while it cycles for a few weeks? with or w/o filter?read my post to newman regarding this

I'd get some water motion in there. even just a powerhead. watch the levels until there is no ammonia and nitrites present for a few days, then add livestock and watch the levels to make certain the ammonia doesn't come back.

I however only test SG (and even that rarely) I judge water quality by how my livestock is looking.

I'd get some water motion in there. even just a powerhead. watch the levels until there is no ammonia and nitrites present for a few days, then add livestock and watch the levels to make certain the ammonia doesn't come back.

I however only test SG (and even that rarely) I judge water quality by how my livestock is looking.

yea thats what I wanted to do.. lol, but have the base rock in there and live rock? or add that later? bla bla? I cant add all the live rock as the clowns need something...

yea thats what I wanted to do.. lol, but have the base rock in there and live rock? or add that later? bla bla? I cant add all the live rock as the clowns need something...

Is the base rock live or dry?

if its live then you don't need to put any live rock in. If its dry you'll need to seed it with live rock.

Is the base rock live or dry?

if its live then you don't need to put any live rock in. If its dry you'll need to seed it with live rock.

you can have live base rock? no its dry...

That is an awesome piece of LR! So sweet. Looks like a dead coral skeleton or something.

Nice tank! Are you moving all this to the 20L?

thanks! yea that was my first live rock -- and it looked so crazy -- its great but doesn't match any other rock for arrangements.. lol and yes, im moving all of that to the 20L.. this 10g is almost 11 years old, and all the places of salt creep are startin to get .. moist.. and more wet im some places... just don't want to take any chances, and the 20L was only 20 bucks.. lol

One more day and the frogspawn or hammer coral is MINE!

FELLOW CANADIANS! I've found a company in quebec that sells fishneedit fixtures! This way we can avoid the duty/taxes that can be imposed at the border. Its a new company: http://www.arcticbubbles.com Not sure if the website is up and running, but if anyone's interested, PM me and ill give u more contact details. I'm gettin my halides from there!

Archived