ReefCleaners.org

Wilioli's 10g Wet Dream

Wilioli

I totally blanked that taking out 6lbs (1/2 the amount of rock) of rock out of my tank may have some affect on the nitrates! So today it was at 10, which is the highest its been since i switched to ro/di.. Did a water change... -- gotta watch out for that..

-- and just to learn -- whats the difference between hypermelanization and black ich? Visually speaking? I realize they are two completely different 'pathologies'... -- my clowns are gettin more black spots.. in a shorter period of time.. and yes there's a new coral (frogspawn) in the tank.. just wanted to know tho..

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

black ich is something i am not familiar with. people say its rare, and this clowns getting stung is not rare at all. the difference? you'd have to research black ich a lot to spot it. idk the difference.

yes they'll get worse before they get better, but mine are better now, all their black spots are gone. your clowns are acting fine, yes?

black ich is something i am not familiar with. people say its rare, and this clowns getting stung is not rare at all. the difference? you'd have to research black ich a lot to spot it. idk the difference.

yes they'll get worse before they get better, but mine are better now, all their black spots are gone. your clowns are acting fine, yes?

yes yes indeed -- they are acting fine -- so i guess i should be acting fine as well! lol, i just didnt want something to creep up because of my ignorance... Anyways, they are acting fine for sure.. in their loved up period.. not nearly as many submission acts, and eating fine, and swimming about...

Also.. what do dead zoas look like?

dead zoas? they kinda just shrivel up and shrink to nothingness or they have a melting appearance...if theyre getting gross looking and flaky theyre probably on their way out, but sometimes a dip or just good care can help them recover slowly. why do you ask? is a portion of your's getting annoyed?

dead zoas? they kinda just shrivel up and shrink to nothingness or they have a melting appearance...if theyre getting gross looking and flaky theyre probably on their way out, but sometimes a dip or just good care can help them recover slowly. why do you ask? is a portion of your's getting annoyed?

yea definetly.. the ones that look like the gorilla nipples or eye of rah -- they have been closed up for a while now.. never opening... but dont have melting appearance or shrinking to nothingness...

got a couple of questions.. I want to get this other piece of live rock into my 20... that leaves the corals behind.. Can i put an old margarine/yogurt container in the tank -- for elevating the corals to be closer to the light? do they need live rock? and if i do that, then the fish need to be moved as well... but here's the other question -- will they be fine in new tank with NO lights? or is this going to affect their circadian rhythm, etc etc...

then they may come back unless they start going flaky and gross.

use the container if its clean and doesnt float. they dont need LR unless either theyre already attached to LR or they attach to the container while youre waiting lol.

fish will be ok w/o lights. the problem would be more bothersome if you were breeding the clowns because that would break their cycle but it wont matter much right now.

Two things I think might help some.

Unfortunately that looks like a zoa eating nudi. FW dip and iodide and oh #### hang on. Hope you get them man. Really hope you get them. Match the temp for sure beforehand.

Also, I honestly think those zoas aren't getting enough light. Their base is extended quite a bit where it looks like they were stretching towards the light and the nudis might have caused all the recent recession issues.

Love the frogspawn.

The filter tube and thermometer is there, and they rub up against that..

My Clowns had a torrid affair with the Mag Float....but it was short lived.

Good luck with your Zoas. You can overcome those little suckers pretty EZ.

Just think it through and don't panic going all crazy ...lol

Two things I think might help some.

Unfortunately that looks like a zoa eating nudi. FW dip and iodide and oh #### hang on. Hope you get them man. Really hope you get them. Match the temp for sure beforehand.

Also, I honestly think those zoas aren't getting enough light. Their base is extended quite a bit where it looks like they were stretching towards the light and the nudis might have caused all the recent recession issues.

Love the frogspawn.

thanks dude -- ur right, the lighting is shot -- I was hoping to have gotten my halides by now, but its gonna be another 2 weeks i believe.. ! -- thats why i bought the frogspawn, figured i could put that under the light more, and the zoas can be a bit lower.. anyways, gonna do a freshwater dip, and see how that goes...

My Clowns had a torrid affair with the Mag Float....but it was short lived.

Good luck with your Zoas. You can overcome those little suckers pretty EZ.

Just think it through and don't panic going all crazy ...lol

thanks -- and ill try not to panic.. lol

oh and if i dip them and am successful -- what happens to the ones that are already in the tank? how do i get rid of those?

woah dont forget the FW dip has to be in FW thats the same pH as your tank water. its tricky to do.

u just lit up my inbox with all ur messaging.. WHERE WERE U? WHAT, DO U HAVE A LIFE OR SOMETHING? lol

I dont get this reference at all.... ._.

woah dont forget the FW dip has to be in FW thats the same pH as your tank water. its tricky to do.

I dont get this reference at all.... ._.

well that didn't happen... pH was definitely not the same.. lol.. ahhhh...

sorry, i just spazzed out the last posting..was just saying u answered 4 or 5 of my questoins on different threads that i had subscribed to. normally my inbox has 0 new emails.. but then it had 4-5 cause of you -- and I was then saying where have you been -- shoulda taken u 3 seconds to respond to me.. whats going on, do you have a life or something -- as in is there anything better to do than to respond to my questions... ahhhh... yes indeed.. .these zoa's are gonna be thrown out i think

if you got nudis on those, the nudis are probably in your tank, wont matter if you toss the zoas now, you have already been infected!!! xD

And yes I do try to help you out every time I visit this site, unless I forget.

If I'm not buying from a reputable source (like online vendor that always had amazing feedback from people on here) then I use peroxide on my frags and I also rinse them off thoroughly in the SW before placing them in my tank. I also inspect stuff like zoas carefully. I once found one nudi egg cluster on a zoa frag I got from liveaquaria and i immediately removed it. lucky for me i have not had any nudi problems in my 3 gal. I'm glad i have avoided them so far. I count my LFS as an un-reputable source since I see pests like aiptasia on their coral frags all the time, who knows what else is on them. Stopped buying coral from LFS a while ago. plus they're so expensive here x_x

if you got nudis on those, the nudis are probably in your tank, wont matter if you toss the zoas now, you have already been infected!!! xD

And yes I do try to help you out every time I visit this site, unless I forget.

If I'm not buying from a reputable source (like online vendor that always had amazing feedback from people on here) then I use peroxide on my frags and I also rinse them off thoroughly in the SW before placing them in my tank. I also inspect stuff like zoas carefully. I once found one nudi egg cluster on a zoa frag I got from liveaquaria and i immediately removed it. lucky for me i have not had any nudi problems in my 3 gal. I'm glad i have avoided them so far. I count my LFS as an un-reputable source since I see pests like aiptasia on their coral frags all the time, who knows what else is on them. Stopped buying coral from LFS a while ago. plus they're so expensive here x_x

Ohh and you do help newman... thats my way of thanking you... its weird... so thank you! again!

I don't get why lfs have to be... so difficult.. I mean those guys (according to them) have many years experience with reef tanks.. they have multiple tanks in their homes, bla bla bla, and you'd think they would want to really really help you out.. i dunno... anyways, so my tanks infected.. i started a thread, and a dude there recommended i throw out the zoas, and wait it out.. 7 weeks... they nudi's will starve and die... :S I'm too attached to these zoas.. and was thinking i would frag the ones that I think are healthy, and start it off like that... either way, how do i disinfect the tank?

researching those nudi infestations and what other people have done might help.

yea im on that... its weird, seems like a lot of people kinda just.. wait it out... if they see a nudi, take tweezers and pick at it... lol -- no ones concerned bout the rock, or the tank.. ill keep reading tho

soooo after that freshwater t-bag -- or dip as some of you call it -- the zoas have opened up -- and seem to be thriving... the rest of them are dying... But thats ok.. I think my plan of fraggin the live ones will be a good idea -- then transfer them to the new tank, and minimize the risk of the std infection for the 20 L.. still gotta buy some sort of dipping media -- researching that at the moment.. I might just stick to the ole iodine and possibly some anti worm shtuff... anyways, whats the difference between iodine and iodide? I could google this, but there are 'some' chemist reefers here, and other knowledgeable aquarists... -- get er done!

edit: i should say that i know iodide gots the neg ion... thats it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Wilioli, were in Ontario are you from? I'm in London!

Have you moved your frogspawn over to the 20L yet? If not, how's it doing with the two 20w fiddy/fiddy setup?

Cheers

Flick

Archived