ReefCleaners.org

Wilioli's 10g Wet Dream

Wilioli

ok are u bein sarcastic? and was this the innuendo!?!?!? what do i do!?

ok i may have sounded distressed and panicky in that previous comment.. throw in a bunch of 'lolling' with a hint of desperation :D

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lolz

yes my comments on MFT were about cyano. but its highly doubtful that its cyano and not just diatoms because you bought two clowns. it is just a coincidence that we bought the same fish for the same tank and would up with the same type of algae.(no joking here) Clowns dont cause cyano lolz. its not like cyano lives on clowns and the moment the fish lands in a new tank the cyano drops off to make the tank look like ****.

because it is cyano, (sarcastic? no its really a PITA) heres what I have noticed about owning it. first its going to cover your sand and rocks in a mat. after a while if its being starved off, it will start growing in wavy thin strands on the rocks, this looks really gross and annoying but its a sign that the cyano will someday soon recede. then it kinda just disappears as some other algae take its place (preferably you will use macro algae unless you want diatoms to absorb the nutrients. of course water changes will also help starve the various micro algaes off and will keep your tank free of them.

dont stress over it, do your weekly water changes, eventually it will pass.

excellent.. that seems to be the general consensus -- "this too shall pass" -- what do you think about getting a green banded goby? All other goby's seem to grow more than an inch -- this one in particular is apparently an inch max.. and takes care of the sand... -- my lfs doesnt sell ANY macro algae WHATSOEVER... it kinda pisses me off..

excellent.. that seems to be the general consensus -- "this too shall pass" -- what do you think about getting a green banded goby? All other goby's seem to grow more than an inch -- this one in particular is apparently an inch max.. and takes care of the sand... -- my lfs doesnt sell ANY macro algae WHATSOEVER... it kinda pisses me off..

yup diatoms or cyano. nothing serious really. you could try to cover up that part of the tank with the paper and see if it helps, but as the tank mature it'll disappear. If you weren't in canada I wouldn't mind sending you some macros, maybe it's not too difficult; I'll look into it.

Nice clowns B)

yup diatoms or cyano. nothing serious really. you could try to cover up that part of the tank with the paper and see if it helps, but as the tank mature it'll disappear. If you weren't in canada I wouldn't mind sending you some macros, maybe it's not too difficult; I'll look into it.

Nice clowns B)

thanks boss -- don't retire!

i wouldnt add a third fish to this tank.

your store doesnt even have Chaeto? what the hell are they running in their refugiums then?

i wouldnt add a third fish to this tank.

your store doesnt even have Chaeto? what the hell are they running in their refugiums then?

couldn't tell you -- ive never really seen their refugiums.. its a bigals.. not sure if you have one of those near you.. its an american company -- just not sure how spread out they are down there...

never seen one, but most SW tanks in a store should run some sort of refugium...especially the ones that are big and have a lot of SW fish in them.

thats where i got my Chaeto, the store employee got some out of their tank's refugium and sold it. they dont sell chaeto in a tank of its own to my knowledge lol, so you would never see it in the store unless you ask.

never seen one, but most SW tanks in a store should run some sort of refugium...especially the ones that are big and have a lot of SW fish in them.

thats where i got my Chaeto, the store employee got some out of their tank's refugium and sold it. they dont sell chaeto in a tank of its own to my knowledge lol, so you would never see it in the store unless you ask.

ahhhh i see, i thought they would have tanks filled with macro algae, just.. floating there.. lol

I'll definitely ask.. these guys are... i dunno.. i asked for shells for my hermit crabs when i bought them -- they directed me to a fishbowl of shells they've collected over the years FOR A PRICE.. i was pissed! 2 dollar water testing! argh

do i have to have chaeto in a refugium? ive seen some tanks that let it float in a corner, get picked up by a current, and just kinda.. float... ?

it doesnt have to be in a fuge. it just looks better there lol...where youre not looking at it xD

its more useful on a reverse photoperiod in a fuge once you have lots of corals in your display, but since you dont putting it in your display is the way to go. I did the same back when i had little or no corals,you can check my old FTSs on my 10 gal tank thread, you will see the chaeto there.

it doesnt have to be in a fuge. it just looks better there lol...where youre not looking at it xD

its more useful on a reverse photoperiod in a fuge once you have lots of corals in your display, but since you dont putting it in your display is the way to go. I did the same back when i had little or no corals,you can check my old FTSs on my 10 gal tank thread, you will see the chaeto there.

yea i saw that.. i thought maybe u put it there just to be able to take a clear shot of it with the cam, and then banish it to the fuge... lol -- so why is it more useful on the reverse photoperiod WHEN there's lots of corals? i mean if i can do it now with little or none, then why not later? besides the aesthetic reasons..?

when corals photosynthesize they raise the pH. when light turns off and fuge light turns on, the fuge chaeto will photosynthesize and keep that pH up instead of the pH dropping when display lights went out on all photosynthetic life.

you can jsut search for photosynthesis and its effects on pH and the methodology of keeping a fuge with reverse light, and see if im wrong or right, i may be wrong on a few details.

when corals photosynthesize they raise the pH. when light turns off and fuge light turns on, the fuge chaeto will photosynthesize and keep that pH up instead of the pH dropping when display lights went out on all photosynthetic life.

you can jsut search for photosynthesis and its effects on pH and the methodology of keeping a fuge with reverse light, and see if im wrong or right, i may be wrong on a few details.

dissolved CO2 drops pH and photosynthesis removes this CO2. with the revers light cycle the pH doesn't fluctuate, or not as much.

i advise looking it up because for one- i didnt look it up- too lazy, and i jsut took other peoples word for it like you did just now. WHAT IF EVERYONEZ WRONG AND YOUR TANKS IZ GONNA SPLODE?!

:lol:

i advise looking it up because for one- i didnt look it up- too lazy, and i jsut took other peoples word for it like you did just now. WHAT IF EVERYONEZ WRONG AND YOUR TANKS IZ GONNA SPLODE?!

:lol:

lol, ill llook it up only cause u always make me paranoid -- but i do have some chemistry/bio knowledge... just never thought it would apply like this in aquariums.. im pretty ignorant like that.. one track minded.. like a lot of science ppl.. lol

lol, ill llook it up only cause u always make me paranoid -- but i do have some chemistry/bio knowledge... just never thought it would apply like this in aquariums.. im pretty ignorant like that.. one track minded.. like a lot of science ppl.. lol

The chemistry going on is our tanks is fascinating!! I was actually thinking of making my own mag and calc supplements before I decided to retire.

The chemistry going on is our tanks is fascinating!! I was actually thinking of making my own mag and calc supplements before I decided to retire.

wtv it takes to keep you out of retirement.. make me some nitrate eating chemical powder as well!

yes this is about the only chemistry that i find fascinating...I cant really get into the whole general chemistry class im taking right now lol.

yes this is about the only chemistry that i find fascinating...I cant really get into the whole general chemistry class im taking right now lol.

i hated chem so much.. and then i was failing organic chem and had to hit it in high gear, and then just got really really into it... i guess im more of a biochem type..

i hated chem so much.. and then i was failing organic chem and had to hit it in high gear, and then just got really really into it... i guess im more of a biochem type..

I really like chem and some aspects of bio. I'm actually starting to like physics too now that I get it. Orgo isnt easy but I like it.

I really like chem and some aspects of bio. I'm actually starting to like physics too now that I get it. Orgo isnt easy but I like it.

physics was pretty much a right off for me... had a hard time gettin it... that and molecular bio... we're all a bunch of nerds here... nice

ok i gotta stop hanging out in forums, cause now EVERYTHING is startin to get me thinking! How often should i be feeding my two clowns (an inch long each).. I'm feeding marine fusion frozen cubes once a day -- half in the morn, half at night.. and they're eating all of it.. cept for the green stuff in it.. lol too much? too little? just right?

sounds like too much. either feed half a cube or feed every other day. I feed mine only 3 times a week now...seems to work. they dont waste food anymore :lol:

Archived