inTank Media Baskets

Wilioli's 10g Wet Dream

Wilioli

Nice to see someone a step ahead of me and I hope to create a similar winner. I really dig the auqascape, I love branch pieces, and I'm envious of your zoas. Part of me wants to rush in and throw water in a tank with a freshwater light just to stare at zoas. Those are what I miss most about my 55. Anyhow, what lighting did you end up going with?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
make sure its not a sundial snail. though it looks like something safe

any comments on the cheapo lighting scheme?

Nice to see someone a step ahead of me and I hope to create a similar winner. I really dig the auqascape, I love branch pieces, and I'm envious of your zoas. Part of me wants to rush in and throw water in a tank with a freshwater light just to stare at zoas. Those are what I miss most about my 55. Anyhow, what lighting did you end up going with?

im still using the 'screw in' coralife 50/50's. 2x20watt. I love the zoas too -- and the branching pieces!! But im sure everything would look that much better with upgraded lighting... I just have no idea which one to get... lol

wow so thats possible then.. for someone like me with no electrical knowledge.. get a cheapo fixture, and get some nice bulbs... hmmm.. thanks for the motivation to f the system..

Well you need to have good reflectors!!!! those are almost more important than the bulbs.

make sure its not a sundial snail. though it looks like something safe

its not a sundial, those are tiny. its definitely a turbo.

Well you need to have good reflectors!!!! those are almost more important than the bulbs.

its not a sundial, those are tiny. its definitely a turbo.

yea i thought turbo.. some ppl tellin me astrae (sp?)

yea i was lookin at these fixtures on fishneedit.com -- they seem to have good reflectors, and ppl recommend it.. nice prices too...

whats a retrofit? is it interchangeable with diy lighting? and those 'barebone' kits are.. bare.. lol.. am i supposed to provide a fixture?

yea i thought turbo.. some ppl tellin me astrae (sp?)

yea i was lookin at these fixtures on fishneedit.com -- they seem to have good reflectors, and ppl recommend it.. nice prices too...

whats a retrofit? is it interchangeable with diy lighting? and those 'barebone' kits are.. bare.. lol.. am i supposed to provide a fixture?

A retrofit is just an DIY package thats more expensive than sourcing the parts independently.

I've also heard good things about the fishneedit fixtures, but I will most probably do a DIY on my next tank. Starting to think about lights for a vivaruim I'm planning.

A retrofit is just an DIY package thats more expensive than sourcing the parts independently.

I've also heard good things about the fishneedit fixtures, but I will most probably do a DIY on my next tank. Starting to think about lights for a vivaruim I'm planning.

yea i been roaming around nano tuners... checkin out their DIY section... seems like i need to get my own fixture somewhere.. the HD here sucks... vivarium? for what kind of wildlife? or plant only? i forgot to mention -- saw u had 'bubbles' on the display pic.. lol lol -- u've seen the show?

yea i been roaming around nano tuners... checkin out their DIY section... seems like i need to get my own fixture somewhere.. the HD here sucks... vivarium? for what kind of wildlife? or plant only? i forgot to mention -- saw u had 'bubbles' on the display pic.. lol lol -- u've seen the show?

well not really. you need somewhere to mount all the stuff (read as sheet metal or even plywood if you have to) the retro kits have all the needed parts ( ballast, end caps, maybe switches and reflectors etc.)

Dart frogs, but in the spring when the weather gets better for shipping and such. I want to go collect mosses and stuff now tho before everything gets covered in snow.

yeah I just finished watching the Trailer Park boys final season, I still have all the movies left to watch. maybe i'll take a break from studying o-chem and watch one tonight.

well not really. you need somewhere to mount all the stuff (read as sheet metal or even plywood if you have to) the retro kits have all the needed parts ( ballast, end caps, maybe switches and reflectors etc.)

Dart frogs, but in the spring when the weather gets better for shipping and such. I want to go collect mosses and stuff now tho before everything gets covered in snow.

yeah I just finished watching the Trailer Park boys final season, I still have all the movies left to watch. maybe i'll take a break from studying o-chem and watch one tonight.

and i got another question -- im sorry -- but this one's driving me nuts.. and ive posted in multiple forums multiple times and always get different responses... how do i know what light will do a 'good job'? .. all these fixtures in fishneedit.com are 4x24w bulb fixtures.. everyone will say those are good to get.. but the 78-92watt coralife apparently wont grow anything but softies -- if ur lucky...lol.. it always goes to par ratings which arent available for majority of the light fixtures.. and everyone's advice is then directed to the most expensive brands saying 'oh yea, they're known to do wonders'... u got any input on that?

dart frogs..... --> u really are a chemist... what are u creating? lol

and i got another question -- im sorry -- but this one's driving me nuts.. and ive posted in multiple forums multiple times and always get different responses... how do i know what light will do a 'good job'? .. all these fixtures in fishneedit.com are 4x24w bulb fixtures.. everyone will say those are good to get.. but the 78-92watt coralife apparently wont grow anything but softies -- if ur lucky...lol.. it always goes to par ratings which arent available for majority of the light fixtures.. and everyone's advice is then directed to the most expensive brands saying 'oh yea, they're known to do wonders'... u got any input on that?

dart frogs..... --> u really are a chemist... what are u creating? lol

yeah it's not really about watts but PAR. lots of watts w/o any par is useless. the 24w bulbs are T5 or T5HO, the 78-92w bulbs are PC. PC do not put out sufficient PAR values and use higher wattage; therefor these are not favoured. T5s are better for growing corals even SPS and use less electricity. There are also MHs and LEDs both of those have their pros and cons. I would recommend you go with T5s. I have a 4x24w fixture over my tank atm and I all my corals look awesome. there are also 39w and 54w T5 bulbs, those are usually for larger tanks.

lol

whats wrong w/ dart frogs? They are cool and at the same time its easier to break down and move a viv than a reef tank.

yeah it's not really about watts but PAR. lots of watts w/o any par is useless. the 24w bulbs are T5 or T5HO, the 78-92w bulbs are PC. PC do not put out sufficient PAR values and use higher wattage; therefor these are not favoured. T5s are better for growing corals even SPS and use less electricity. There are also MHs and LEDs both of those have their pros and cons. I would recommend you go with T5s. I have a 4x24w fixture over my tank atm and I all my corals look awesome. there are also 39w and 54w T5 bulbs, those are usually for larger tanks.

lol

whats wrong w/ dart frogs? They are cool and at the same time its easier to break down and move a viv than a reef tank.

now how do you 'choose' which one to go with.. like i can get a t5 coralife 2x24w for 100 bucks... i can get a 4x24w for 150, 250, ive seen 400 as well.. lol, i realize the more expensive one is the one to go with.. but im sayin, for someone that needs the money for other things as well.. lol its just frustrating... a lot of people say to go with a '4 lamp' fixture.. ok.. but again, i can get one for dirt cheap.. i can also splooge my money for a different one.. blah..

dart frogs.. u can extract their POISON ... and a chemist with poison = creativity

now how do you 'choose' which one to go with.. like i can get a t5 coralife 2x24w for 100 bucks... i can get a 4x24w for 150, 250, ive seen 400 as well.. lol, i realize the more expensive one is the one to go with.. but im sayin, for someone that needs the money for other things as well.. lol its just frustrating... a lot of people say to go with a '4 lamp' fixture.. ok.. but again, i can get one for dirt cheap.. i can also splooge my money for a different one.. blah..

dart frogs.. u can extract their POISON ... and a chemist with poison = creativity

I bought my current fixture rather cheap (it was used, but in awesome condition) Imo, go for the best cheapest fixture. I'd go with a 4 bulb fixture, and get one from fishneedit or elsewhere. I know people who use oddeseya fixtures, those are prolly the cheapest fixtures but they work.

Lol, nah i'm not extracting poison. The cb darts aren't poisonous. If I wanted poison I'd turn to plants, easier to work with and easier to source. :D

I'm using a 4x24 fishneed it fixture right now. Its sufficient to grow everything up to some low light SPS with upgraded bulbs. The stock bulbs on the FNI lights are trash, just throw them away. If you can find a decently priced Tek light go with that. I am exploring the LED T5 combo at the moment. I will have 4x24 T5s + 24 LEDs when all is said and done. Too much light? Maybe but I want an SPS tank so we'll see.

I bought my current fixture rather cheap (it was used, but in awesome condition) Imo, go for the best cheapest fixture. I'd go with a 4 bulb fixture, and get one from fishneedit or elsewhere. I know people who use oddeseya fixtures, those are prolly the cheapest fixtures but they work.

Lol, nah i'm not extracting poison. The cb darts aren't poisonous. If I wanted poison I'd turn to plants, easier to work with and easier to source. :D

done and done and done..

so basically what ive learnt today is to get plants.. and extract.. lol

done and done and done..

so basically what ive learnt today is to get plants.. and extract.. lol

LOL I never said to do that!!! you're the dangerous one... I saw you MH post. I've had both the MH and T5s, and I've gotta say I like the T5s better. There were a lot of pros to the MH but I'm not sure I'd buy one again.

lol wil what are you thinking.

lol you want in newman?

LOL I never said to do that!!! you're the dangerous one... I saw you MH post. I've had both the MH and T5s, and I've gotta say I like the T5s better. There were a lot of pros to the MH but I'm not sure I'd buy one again.

you really are all over the place.. yea that post was in response to fishneedit's almost 1/2 price sale on their MH's... 9 bucks more to buy an MH than the T5 I was looking at...

so you like the t5's better.. AND U'R GONNA LEAVE IT AT THAT? LOL, please elaborate..

Mark why are MH not a good choice?

^+1 yes what he said.. and what i said as well... !!!

I have never tried MH, it being the only major lighting type i havent tried yet. I expect it to be the perfection of lighting though lol.

The ole MH / T5 debate.....I'm not gonna go there. I've had both and had success with both in various tanks.

I think most will agree on this:

Stand alone MH = heat issue

Stand alone T5 = no shimmer

IMO, other than that you can grow anything (with correct setup) and have great success with either.

What this thread needs are some good links and pics of DIY 10G canopys....

(lol, just tryin to help ya out there Wilioli)

The ole MH / T5 debate.....I'm not gonna go there. I've had both and had success with both in various tanks.

IMO, other than that you can grow anything (with correct setup) and have great success with either.

it really does boil down to this. that and T5s are more customizable. you can keep changing the bulb choices till you get the light you want. Aslo a bit less power consumption for T5s.

MH is an older and proven tech, but that doesn't mean its the best way. Its all about what you want to keep. My goal had always been to get a clam (my first attempt failed :(, and I was gonna get one a few weeks back but, well you guy know i'm getting out) But T5s are equally applicable for this end, and it seems LEDs may be too.

In the end it's preference and objective.

Lol newman, I don't think it's the perfection of lighting lol. I'd be interested to try LEDs or the plasma lamps, but I'm more interested in seeing what the hobby will be like in 2 years when I'm ready to get back in. For now Its all about plant growing lights :D

Oh did I ever tell you wilioli, I was really seriously considering studying in Canada. I looked at McGill and U Toronto, but neither said it was possible for me to get in for the spring. Some #### about visas or something

hahahah, thanks a lot! i'll get on that....

it really does boil down to this. that and T5s are more customizable. you can keep changing the bulb choices till you get the light you want. Aslo a bit less power consumption for T5s.

MH is an older and proven tech, but that doesn't mean its the best way. Its all about what you want to keep. My goal had always been to get a clam (my first attempt failed :(, and I was gonna get one a few weeks back but, well you guy know i'm getting out) But T5s are equally applicable for this end, and it seems LEDs may be too.

In the end it's preference and objective.

Lol newman, I don't think it's the perfection of lighting lol. I'd be interested to try LEDs or the plasma lamps, but I'm more interested in seeing what the hobby will be like in 2 years when I'm ready to get back in. For now Its all about plant growing lights :D

Oh did I ever tell you wilioli, I was really seriously considering studying in Canada. I looked at McGill and U Toronto, but neither said it was possible for me to get in for the spring. Some #### about visas or something

preference: cheap fixture

objective: to get a cheap fixture

lol

mcgill and utoronto -- best universities in the country.. top 50 in the world -- good for u ! visas are bs... I was going to apply to the US this year for work.. as a tourist i can go whenever I want.. for work there's a huge bs deal with the visa -- sooo im gonna be delayed a bit before i end up there! Gonna stick to canada for now.. I HATE SNOW

hahahah, thanks a lot! i'll get on that....

preference: cheap fixture

objective: to get a cheap fixture

lol

mcgill and utoronto -- best universities in the country.. top 50 in the world -- good for u ! visas are bs... I was going to apply to the US this year for work.. as a tourist i can go whenever I want.. for work there's a huge bs deal with the visa -- sooo im gonna be delayed a bit before i end up there! Gonna stick to canada for now.. I HATE SNOW

Yeah, thats why I wanted to try and apply, but alas I didn't. bloody visas.

lol and I think LEDs are not the perfection of lighting either IMO :lol: They're good for crazy color. Since I am looking for a light source as close to the real sun as possible, I am enjoying the look of MHs more and more, almost enough to try them someday. I like the customization of the T5s but since I'm always striving to mimic a look that the MHs give (idrc about shimmer) I might as well just get MH lol.

I guess you can call me weird but I dont like purple lighting, 14,000 and 20,000K is just way too out there for me, I enjoy a MH that gives off somewhere around 10,00K light. and if not then I'd choose something even lower. I am a big fan of planted setups too, which is why I have been using 6700K T5s on my FW tank setups. I wonder if 6700K MH is any better?

the t5's im looking at give me the "option" to chose the 4 bulbs from teh start.. .1 white, 3 blue, 2 white 2 blue, etc etc... what do u recommend? I thought 2 white and 2 blue was standard?

I was gonna make the 2 white 14000k... I cant decide between the actualy white from 10000, and the purple from 20000.. lol, lets stay happy in the middle

and newman, just do it, get the MH... you know you're going to.. forget this springtime business... just get er done, and put up pics on the tank thread.. and ill do the same too (with lights in general. .lol)

I'm using a 4x24 fishneed it fixture right now. Its sufficient to grow everything up to some low light SPS with upgraded bulbs. The stock bulbs on the FNI lights are trash, just throw them away. If you can find a decently priced Tek light go with that. I am exploring the LED T5 combo at the moment. I will have 4x24 T5s + 24 LEDs when all is said and done. Too much light? Maybe but I want an SPS tank so we'll see.

i just saw ur post... they really are trash? and only low light SPS with upgraded bulbs? not all sps?

Archived