Cultivated Reef

HYBRIDIZING ZOA'S ATTEMPT

Phyto4life

WILL IT WORK?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. will I have a new morph?

• YES
    • NO

If you cut off my head and put it on a giraffe's body, will it make a hybrid?

More related to coral, if you cut off a flower and place it on another plant, will it make a hybrid?

No, it will not.

Edited by Euphyllia

The grafting of a paly = purple death and another paly = nuclear green

have been successfully grafted with 3 offsprings with altering pattern's of purple and green.

just had a wipe out of zoas and will be trying these guy's with in the nex few month's in which imo I give a 75% chance of a successful graft rate.

waiting for others to report back with your creation's ?.

or are u tooo scared of the single blade high concentration slices?

DR BLUE THUMB

Edited by Phyto4life
  • 1 month later...
People have been hybridizing plants for a long time by methods like splicing them together.

Ex. Pairs,apples,oranges, and peaches.

Hibridizing and splicing/grafting are two totaly diffrent things and what your talking about is wrong. The only reason fruit is Grafted is that most of the better tasting fruits dont have a good root base so they use a variety that is a very strong grower and graft a better tasting fruit to the top. It has nothing to do with mixing the two. Hybridizing is all about mixing the two and thats when you get into pollination in hopes to take the two you mixed and getting what you want from both. So the next time all your zoas spawn you should get a few that hybirdize.

With that said I applaude your efforts and hope this works. If you coud take a strong grower like radio active dragon eyes and mix it with the so called melters IE: Rastas maybe you could get a stronger rasta growing, but still the babies should be one or the other. I dont see it being good for zoas but for sps like ORAs blue iris it could be great, from what I understand most frags dont survive. And when your ready look into tissue culture, Its what they have been doing with plants the last 15-20 years. They actually break a plant down to individual cells and reproduce it keeping some good qualities and getting rid of some of the bad.

Funktastic Wint
Hibridizing and splicing/grafting are two totaly diffrent things and what your talking about is wrong. The only reason fruit is Grafted is that most of the better tasting fruits dont have a good root base so they use a variety that is a very strong grower and graft a better tasting fruit to the top. It has nothing to do with mixing the two. Hybridizing is all about mixing the two and thats when you get into pollination in hopes to take the two you mixed and getting what you want from both. So the next time all your zoas spawn you should get a few that hybirdize.

With that said I applaude your efforts and hope this works. If you coud take a strong grower like radio active dragon eyes and mix it with the so called melters IE: Rastas maybe you could get a stronger rasta growing, but still the babies should be one or the other. I dont see it being good for zoas but for sps like ORAs blue iris it could be great, from what I understand most frags dont survive. And when your ready look into tissue culture, Its what they have been doing with plants the last 15-20 years. They actually break a plant down to individual cells and reproduce it keeping some good qualities and getting rid of some of the bad.

grapples ive seen grape flavored apples at the store. :)

Good example, that is hybridization. This process has nothing to do with grafting a grape to an apple tree.

EDIT: My thoughts...

The zoas/palys being hybridized have to be of the same type. You would be able to hybridize Eagle Eyes and Radioactive Dragon Eyes, but not Red Hornets and Space Monsters.

To better explain my theory, you wouldn't be able to hybridize an African Elephant and a Giraffe, but you would be able to hybridize an African Elephant and an Indian Elephant. You wouldn't be able to hybridize a Blue Whale and a Bottlenose Dolphin, but you would be able to hybridize a Killer Whale (which is a type of dolphin) and a Bottlenose Dolphin, hence the already-existing Walphin.

Edited by Euphyllia

Do you guys understand the species concept and that color or man made names denote next to nothing of genetic make up or even the feasibility of sexual hybridization? I think a simple understanding of reproductive biology of corals would help this thread greatly.

I work in a produce dept. Grapples are flavored with a grape flavored wax, and soaked in a grape concentrate and water to take in the flavor. They dont grow on trees tasting like grapes.

• 3 weeks later...

Picture311.jpg

Picture307.jpg

Picture332.jpg

Picture330.jpg

Picture297-1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

3-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

I lost most due to tapwater/skimmerless/refugeless/small tank with 2 large dust feather meltings.

But a have a few grating's still barely kicking and struggling.

I am 100% sure that they will graft and reproduce with mixed offspring for some time, month's are confirmed year's are not. But I am sure they will for year's imo.

I'll try again with the palythoas to go for 1 year, when thing's get settled, I'll try maxi mini carpet's next.

I have a weird idea, but want to wait for a few month's before I try.

If you slice the 50/50 in half you get 2 identical

If you let them spread they come out all kinds of pattern's and so forth. tie die, 25/75, swirls etc

Edited by Phyto4life

I gentlemen at Reef-a-palooza here in So Cal said that he had succes with maxi mini carpets. He didn't have any proof but its an interesting concept nonetheless.

Good luck!

I gentlemen at Reef-a-palooza here in So Cal said that he had succes with maxi mini carpets. He didn't have any proof but its an interesting concept nonetheless.

Good luck!

O man

please give me more info and keep me posted please.

I hope to one day have a graft of the month contest with some one.

• 6 years later...