Innovative Marine Aquariums

HYBRIDIZING ZOA'S ATTEMPT

Phyto4life

WILL IT WORK?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. will I have a new morph?

• YES
    • NO

Here are the solid color morph's I am attempting to mix together to create a single different color morph:

blue/green

orange/blue

orange/green

I used a flat razor blade and slice the the entire tip of one side of one type of zoa off then I sliced the head off of another type of zoa and gently placed the sliced bottem into the sliced side of the first zoa then glued into place so they are nice and tight together

will know more in just under a month.

I'm not sure this is the right method. Its worth a shot, but they aren't plants after all. Its not like you can graft together a donkey and an antelope and get a new hybrid.

Here is a old pic of my nuclear death palythoa I am hoping it works for zoanthid's so that it gives me a reason to learn how to use my new dslr

since the pic it is now on a seperate frag plug inwhich gave 1 green baby and I think there is a small one that is barely visable but look's to have taken on the traits of it's mother

also just sliced it in half today to see if I can force it to spreed to see what happen's

Picture277.jpg

Tried a new method of hybridizing this time with the zoanthids then previously with the palythoas

Picture302.jpg

Picture303.jpg

Picture304.jpg

If the zoas work I'll be moving onto these next:

Picture280.jpg

Picture279.jpg

Edited by Phyto4life
hookedonreef-er
I'm not sure this is the right method. Its worth a shot, but they aren't plants after all. Its not like you can graft together a donkey and an antelope and get a new hybrid.

LOL. A donkelope.

I dig what your doin phyto. I'm not really sure on how it is gonna work out but i'm really impressed with the creativity factor that is goin on here. I wanted to vote but didn't want to say yes or no. I guess my vote is maybe, but i'm gonna follow this thread and see what happens. Good luck.

Edited by hookedonreef-er
  • Like 2

Thanks

I'll see how it goes, so far it's only been a few hours and the tubs blue and bam bam look to be doing fine

I just bought a small frag full of yellowish/green zoas that have had sunsets mix with them and now today I see some individual sunsets that have a yellowish/green center and some individual yellowish/green ones seem to have a hint of orange to them

maybe it is happening naturaly?

if this work's out the combos would be endless.

I believe grafting zoas has been attempted before. Maybe you will have better luck, can we get a before pic just so we understand exactly how you cut these zoas, I'm curious.

I believe grafting zoas has been attempted before. Maybe you will have better luck, can we get a before pic just so we understand exactly how you cut these zoas, I'm curious.

yes!

gulfsurfer101

I know it will work for the nuc's and pd's but have never seen it done with zoas. It's too early to tell for me to say if it will or won't work but I will say I am interested myself in seeing what will happen.

hookedonreef-er
Thanks

I'll see how it goes, so far it's only been a few hours and the tubs blue and bam bam look to be doing fine

I just bought a small frag full of yellowish/green zoas that have had sunsets mix with them and now today I see some individual sunsets that have a yellowish/green center and some individual yellowish/green ones seem to have a hint of orange to them

maybe it is happening naturaly?

if this work's out the combos would be endless.

I think that if it does work it will be a natural occurence, different colors morphing and changing is definitely a possible and probably your best bet.

I'll definently keep you updated because if it does work I wouldn't mind telling people how to do it so that I can find out what combo's would create the best results and which are compatipable with each other.

maybe a tripple hybrid combo may work as well

should know in a few weeks to a month max

I'm pretty much forcing the 2 types of zoo's to heal into each other allowing the dna to intertwine through the cuts that are tightly touching each other

forcing them to grow into one another in order to make one single adult that has both dna from each different polyp?? I think.

I think that if it does work it will be a natural occurence, different colors morphing and changing is definitely a possible and probably your best bet.

True

my next one will be the candy apple red and everlasting gobstopper, these ones have a slighty different stem size and tenticle length

one that I think would not work would bethe candy apple red and nuclear green probably because of the huge differences

but for fun and if the zoas work I'll probably give it a try and maybe try a paly and zoa just for fun in which I'm almost 100% sure it would never work.

ThatCollegeReefer

The way I am thinking you are doing this is by cutting the head off one and the base off another? The only problem I see with this is that they are already specialized tissues and will carry out the traits they were supposed to have carried out. I don't see them mixing colors on top. It will be cool if they do though!

Grafting = a method of asexual plant propagation widely used in agriculture and horticulture where the tissues of one plant are encouraged to fuse with those of another. It is most commonly used for the propagation of trees and shrubs grown commercially.

Hybridization= is the process of combining different varieties or species of organisms to create a hybrid.

Grafting ≠ hybridization

on a positive side if grafting is possible on corals it would be an awesome discovery. Hybridization would require sexual reproduction whether naturally or assisted, tagging along.

Keep us posted

Edited by ednangel

Grafting for sure.

thank's for the correction

my grafted N.G/P.D had it's first baby last week which turned out to be solid green

while the second baby this week turned out to appear to carry on it's grafted mothers look's.

the second baby is slightly faded so I'll know forsure in 2-4 days.

Edited by Phyto4life

Seems to be working with paly's so far.

The zoas were a little more trickier because of their flesh while propagating.

but a few look to be healing fine, I just can't tell if they are grafting with each other yet.

Grafting = a method of asexual plant propagation widely used in agriculture and horticulture where the tissues of one plant are encouraged to fuse with those of another. It is most commonly used for the propagation of trees and shrubs grown commercially.

Hybridization= is the process of combining different varieties or species of organisms to create a hybrid.

Grafting ≠ hybridization

on a positive side if grafting is possible on corals it would be an awesome discovery. Hybridization would require sexual reproduction whether naturally or assisted, tagging along.

Keep us posted

Ednangel,

You summed it up pretty easy. While we are comparing apples to oranges somewhat though. I can understand this persons effort but they will not see all these new zoa/paly types they are wanting. If that was the case every time a couple different colonies grew together in the wild we would see a hedgerow of new morphes and that is not the case.

The case of a multi color nuke/death has been done a million times. Most anyone with Nuke Greens and Purple Deaths in their tanks have seen a multi color polyp at some point. Nearly everytime this was before the colonies even touched one another. This tells me this is a nature occuring morphe within the Nuke/Death paly type.

I am afraid all we are going to see here is alot of animals cut up and dead. And lets not forget these are ANIMALS we are dealing with and not apple trees.

The only way i can really see this working is if you made sure that the zoanthids that you are grafting are the same species (i dont know if most of the zoanthids we keep are just different colours of the same species or actually different species.)

Like TheCollegeReefer said, the base zoa used may not be able express any colours, and therefore not affect the colour of the head.

Another way to try it would be to cut two heads straight through the mouth and put them together in very slow flow and good water.

It'll be interesting to see what happens though

of course if this doesn't work the next logical step is isolating eggs and sperm from the two different kinds of zoa and artificially inseminating them... should be pretty easy...

Edited by Thunil
Ednangel,

You summed it up pretty easy. While we are comparing apples to oranges somewhat though. I can understand this persons effort but they will not see all these new zoa/paly types they are wanting. If that was the case every time a couple different colonies grew together in the wild we would see a hedgerow of new morphes and that is not the case.

The case of a multi color nuke/death has been done a million times. Most anyone with Nuke Greens and Purple Deaths in their tanks have seen a multi color polyp at some point. Nearly everytime this was before the colonies even touched one another. This tells me this is a nature occuring morphe within the Nuke/Death paly type.

I am afraid all we are going to see here is alot of animals cut up and dead. And lets not forget these are ANIMALS we are dealing with and not apple trees.

I never said he could, I just explained the difference between the two. He paid for his corals and he is allowed to experiment with them, is not like he took them out of the wild. As for the dead animals, well, how many frogs do they kill every year for science classes.

Damsels R Cool
Oh geeezzzzzzz Noobs!.... Common sense tells me if this was even remotely possible it would have already been done...

this is a step foward this hobby is all trial and error 5 years ago no one thought you could frag a BTA and years before that corals alive in a tank was unheard of

• Like 1