Pod Your Reef

jbm's 20 long

JBM

i didnt forget. nothing made it. it happens. it sucks, but i dont have the best of luck when it comes to corals that are shipped to me.

only did 1 w/c with the new salt. tomorrow is w/c #2 with 80% new salt 20% old salt. After that it's new salt all the way.

ahhhhh !@#%$!#$%! sorry dude..

This is why im so paranoid on shippin corals... :S I didn't realize you were mixing salt like that.. I thought just doing less smaller water changes with 100% new salt... interessting...

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go 50/50 for at least 2-3 changes and then 2-3 more with 80/20.

I've heard lots of horror stories about the transistion.

I simply did lots of 1g changes with 100% D-DH2Ocean during my switch without any problems

i didnt forget. nothing made it. it happens. it sucks, but i dont have the best of luck when it comes to corals that are shipped to me.

only did 1 w/c with the new salt. tomorrow is w/c #2 with 80% new salt 20% old salt. After that it's new salt all the way.

wow man, that sucks hard. -_-

its always stressful when you buy and its shipped. Heck its even stressful the first few days when you add a new piece, you just dont know if itll make it.

wow man, that sucks hard. -_-

its always stressful when you buy and its shipped. Heck its even stressful the first few days when you add a new piece, you just dont know if itll make it.

it does suck, but it's life. Im not super worried. I'll find more frags when i get the time. Just been super busy. Havent you noticed my absence from the forum?

it does suck, but it's life. Im not super worried. I'll find more frags when i get the time. Just been super busy. Havent you noticed my absence from the forum?

actually, i have. must be pretty intense if its keeping you from your crack. :P

actually, i have. must be pretty intense if its keeping you from your crack. :P

Im a man of multiple addictions, cars, electronics, reefing. But to support these habits I need to work.

Im a man of multiple addictions, cars, electronics, reefing.

Some of my favorites. Plus hockey and Jameson on the rocks with a lime. And budweiser and sour patch kids.

cant stand hockey, or american mass produced beers for that matter. With the exception of schaefer beer, but i think it's more because it's a lager & not a malt like bud. Otherwise i stick to off name brands which are only found in a local pub. Most of em dont come in bottles, only kegs.

My love for electronics has a far reach from a ipod, to xbox, computers & well much larger things such as power transformers not the rinky dink little ones on the pole. HUGE transformers that are the size of a house.

ANYWAY, so i think i have an itch to add another fish. Seeing as how alot of people around here are having good success with more than 3 fish. I thinks its time to press my luck a wee bit. i've narrowed it down to these:

6 line wrasse

flasher wrasse (carpenter of filamented)

Mandarin (any breed)

Bar goby

yasha hasha goby

fire fish

long nose hawkfish

Saw an amazing looking filamented wrasse at a LFS, but the $95 caught me way off guard. was expecting ~$40 for a 2" fish. oh well

I would say to go with the flasher wrasse. Carpenters, filamented, blue or McCoskers would be an awesome size for a 20L. Once acclimated, they come out and swim all the time. At least my McCosker's does in my 57g, which is why I want to add one to my 20L.

just a question -- aren't flasher wrasses for 50g? i dunno why cause their max size is 3" like every other nano fish... -- but it would work for some time in a 20? cause thats a wicked lookin fish -- and i've also been eyein up the hawkfish.. really unique looking

just a question -- aren't flasher wrasses for 50g? i dunno why cause their max size is 3" like every other nano fish... -- but it would work for some time in a 20? cause thats a wicked lookin fish -- and i've also been eyein up the hawkfish.. really unique looking

not according to the nano reefs guide for fish. which is what i go by when it comes to stocking. Live aquaria blows donkey balls. I'll take the opinion of a published nano reefer over a online store any day of the week.

i like the hawkfish too, but i kinda want to have a shrimp in the future

not according to the nano reefs guide for fish. which is what i go by when it comes to stocking. Live aquaria blows donkey balls. I'll take the opinion of a published nano reefer over a online store any day of the week.

i like the hawkfish too, but i kinda want to have a shrimp in the future

lol, i love liveaquaria.!!! Now I cant stop picturing donkey balls

I think it really depends on the characteristics of that particular fish with it's size. In the past, I think it was hard to find the right foods for them to eat, therefore they ended up searching for their own food within the tank system like the mandarin. But, with developments of foods over the years, the flasher wrasses have adapted to eating the flakes and frozen foods like a starving man at an all you can eat buffet.

Additionally, while they are active fish, mine only swims within half my tanks size. He likes to hover around the right size of the tank more than the left side unless he is being picked on. I would definately say the flashers 3.5inches and under are a good to go for a 20L because of the horizontal swimming space provided.

If it was a more vertical tank, I would think twice about it.

Don't forget the blow part

oh i haven't -- but thank you so much for the reminder. I was 'just' about to go search online to post a pic here.. then i realized what i was about to do... and puked

oh i haven't -- but thank you so much for the reminder. I was 'just' about to go search online to post a pic here.. then i realized what i was about to do... and puked

ewwwwww

cant stand hockey, or american mass produced beers for that matter.

My love for electronics has a far reach from a ipod, to xbox, computers & well much larger things such as power transformers not the rinky dink little ones on the pole. HUGE transformers that are the size of a house.

6 line wrasse

2 fire fish

Well that's too bad. You are either far far wealthier than I am (which is certainly the case since I'm a graduate student) or you don't drink enough for it to matter when it comes to drinking. Budweiser is the best beer to drink if you plan on drinking more than a handful of them. Hockey is the best thing.

Do you work for a power company or something? Are you an EE? Most of my experience is in consumer electronics and it has sort of taken away all the luster from the devices themselves.

I think you should get the three fsih listed.

At once.

Well that's too bad. You are either far far wealthier than I am (which is certainly the case since I'm a graduate student) or you don't drink enough for it to matter when it comes to drinking. Budweiser is the best beer to drink if you plan on drinking more than a handful of them. Hockey is the best thing.

Do you work for a power company or something? Are you an EE? Most of my experience is in consumer electronics and it has sort of taken away all the luster from the devices themselves.

I think you should get the three fsih listed.

At once.

im not a huge fan of over stocking. but if your paying for an upgrade to a 40 breeder, i'll get all those fish.

and you hit the nail on the head twice in the same sentence. While i am not a EE, im a step below it in a sense. I install, maintain & repair high voltage power transformers, circuit breakers ( and switchers ) for a major utility in the NY area. They pay me well enough.

I do drink a lot, but not so much beer as hard liquor.

I do drink a lot, but not so much beer as hard liquor.

I like hearing those things.

Be careful with those transformers!

• 2 weeks later...

so after a few hard weeks worth of work, things finally settled into a lull. I was able to really look at my tank for the first time in a week. and HOLY SH!T... i have GHA. RIpped most of it out right before the 3.5g w/c that was way over due by 2 weeks. finally 100% new salt. THings look very happy today. minus the left over gha. suggestions on how to battle this stuff? i "had" a emerald crab but have no idea where it went. havent seen it in a month.

Went to a new store that a lfs opened in garden city. Owner gave me a free purple fire fish. WIN!

To compensate him i bought a jar of spectrum sinking pelets (which the fire fish ate greedly)

pictures to come.

so after a few hard weeks worth of work, things finally settled into a lull. I was able to really look at my tank for the first time in a week. and HOLY SH!T... i have GHA. RIpped most of it out right before the 3.5g w/c that was way over due by 2 weeks. finally 100% new salt. THings look very happy today. minus the left over gha. suggestions on how to battle this stuff? i "had" a emerald crab but have no idea where it went. havent seen it in a month.

Went to a new store that a lfs opened in garden city. Owner gave me a free purple fire fish. WIN!

To compensate him i bought a jar of spectrum sinking pelets (which the fire fish ate greedly)

pictures to come.

is GHA supposed to be green? Cause I'm startin to get some brown hair algae.. very weird...

my daughter 'hates' you. I've taught her the existence of a purple fire fish.. and now thats all she wants.. and after waiting and waiting i got bored and go that puffer instead... she still asks for the purple fire fish...

is GHA supposed to be green? Cause I'm startin to get some brown hair algae.. very weird...

my daughter 'hates' you. I've taught her the existence of a purple fire fish.. and now thats all she wants.. and after waiting and waiting i got bored and go that puffer instead... she still asks for the purple fire fish...

there is BHA & GHA. both are equally evil. i wish diahria on it for all eternity.

oh & hater pics for your daughter

197531_10150173239220739_600630738_8322374_424772_s.jpg

190058_10150173238905739_600630738_8322371_6665021_s.jpg

looks like im gong to have to open a photo bucket account. Used to host all my pictures on facebook. but now all the pictures show up tiny.

GRRRR

Archived