ReefCleaners.org

LED Aesthetics: What do you really think of your color?

Machupicchu

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
M@rine_lover
Ok, everyone forget the last 10 posts to this thread, and carry on.

hahaha..this was the good one..LOL!

Just carry on.....

So what you are saying is any light we reduce is going to reduce the growth so whichever reduces the growth the least is the most un useful?

Well I guess whichever, when turned off, reduces growth the most can then be inferred to have provided the most energy to the coral so yes. But I think you guys (as in hobbyists) have coral growth pretty figured out (blue light works best because its where chlorophyll absorbs energy the best). My feeling is the focus (especially in LEDs) is more on getting the lights so it looks good to us. And since that has nothing to do with dinoflagellates or photosynthesis I am the layman in that realm and will defer to your greater knowledge.

hahaha..this was the good one..LOL!

Just carry on.....

Sorry for derailing things so much. Please carry on, I've been enjoying the thread (imaging what led fixture I would build if I had a real job with money and such).

M@rine_lover
Sorry for derailing things so much. Please carry on, I've been enjoying the thread (imaging what led fixture I would build if I had a real job with money and such).

Hi Mr Pants,

Not to worry as I'm not complaining about your detailing but instead really admire your knowledge and hope you get your desired job every soon.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I am very excited to see what you have coming....I wish you would tease us with pictures or info though.....I dont do well with waiting with no info :P

You ask and you shall receive. If anyone complains about their LED fixture not looking "clean", we cant make it any more easier than this:

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/makersled-desig...essional-grade/

nano.png

I guess the only easier thing we could do is come over and do it for you? I dunno.

Combine these with our 3UP LEDs and you have one sexy and powerful lighting fixture.

DIY bar has just been raised..

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
are you still going to get new 3-ups Milad?

Yes they will be up on Tuesday/Wednesday

One thing at a time until I figure out how to clone myself!

Here is a teaser of "Ocean Coral White"

Exotic%20LED.JPG

You ask and you shall receive. If anyone complains about their LED fixture not looking "clean", we cant make it any more easier than this:

nano.png

I guess the only easier thing we could do is come over and do it for you? I dunno.

Combine these with our 3UP LEDs and you have one sexy and powerful lighting fixture.

I just creamed..

Couple questions milad. How will wires be routed? Able to route out the back center? I've been considering redesigning my fixture for some time. And have been searching for a 24 inch heat sink that looked good

The plan is 21 channels broken up in 1/3s(8inches) 7 channel per 8 inches

15 XM-L t6 @ 2100mA

6 OCW @ 650mA

18 XTE Royals @ 1000mA

15 XPE Blues @ 1000mA

12 HVTV @ 650mA

6 Turquoise @ 650mA(I like 2turq:1DR ratio better then 1:1)

6 380nm ultraviolet @ 650mA

Retro fitted with 2 24inch t5 bulbs. One ATI Coral plus and one Purple Plus....oh man your making life easy milad

I'm currently getting close to 270par dead center of the tank at the sand bed at midday. However I am soon to move all of my LPS and softies to a new tank and will only have SPS....ohhhh the cry for high PAR everywhere ;)

Can we say overkill at its finest?

Now all you need to do is sort out a cheaper shipping method to the UK and you'll have the market sown up :D

Outstanding! It took me a month to design my last DIY led fixture on sketch-up before I was even able to build it. This will be a real asset to the mechanically disinclined or even to those of us who don't have a ton of time to spend building an enclosure.

BTW, it looks like the grooves make it so that drilling and tapping is not necessary, is this true?

nano.png

Looks really nice. Bit pricier than a standard heatsink, but seems like it would be totally worth it. Really digging the T slots in it.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I just creamed..

Couple questions milad. How will wires be routed? Able to route out the back center? I've been considering redesigning my fixture for some time. And have been searching for a 24 inch heat sink that looked good

The T slot holes allow you to hide the wires in them. You can almost make the wires vanish

Now all you need to do is sort out a cheaper shipping method to the UK and you'll have the market sown up :D

International shipping is my bane, I cannot figure out how on earth to deal with it. We started opening up Air Mail which is a decent price but for heatsinks, its impossible to ship them cheaply.

Outstanding! It took me a month to design my last DIY led fixture on sketch-up before I was even able to build it. This will be a real asset to the mechanically disinclined or even to those of us who don't have a ton of time to spend building an enclosure.

BTW, it looks like the grooves make it so that drilling and tapping is not necessary, is this true?

No drilling/tapping. More flexible than drilling tapping because you can just move them around and re design your fixture whenever you want. With drilling and tapping you are stuck with certain areas to put your stars.

Looks really nice. Bit pricier than a standard heatsink, but seems like it would be totally worth it. Really digging the T slots in it.

At first glance, you think its much more expensive than a standard non flexible heatsink but once you factor in that it comes with everything (splash guard, fans, screws, ends caps, etc) you notice that really, it ends up not much more, and on the 6" ones i think its at par.

Regardless of whether all the wavelengths found in nature are used in photosynthesis it may not be prudent to remove them in case they are being used for some other purpose we are not yet aware of

While on the surface this would seem to make sense, the problem is that we aren't using anything near full spectrum light sources to begin with. The only artifical light source that's somewhat close to the sun is a plasma. Using half a dozen LEDs of different colors doesn't yield a full spectrum light source. 20k-14k halides are the furthest removed from full spectrum there is.

Coral growth is stimulated by blue light, and in our current popular light sources (halides/tubes/and LEDs) this centers around 450455nm. I like my tank warmer / whiter than most, and even so when I measured it with my spectrometer colors other than Royal (450-455)nm were trivial in comparitive intensity.

When you start going higher than 450nm (cool-blue / 470nm) SPS seems to be more sensitive to bleaching , which comfirms what AI SOL blue owners have experienced along with my tests on different acro frags. The problem is that if you go the other way (deeper than 450nm) your tank starts looks darker and more violet because your eyes aren't as sensitive to the light. Corals can obviously utilize this light, but there's debate as to how far this goes.I saw no difference in growth with ~440nm LEDs as the prime light source -vs- my current 452nm XT-Es, except the later produce a brighter tank because our eyes work betetr at this wavelength.

SPS growers have known for years that 10k halides have better growth rates than 14-20k halides. If you look at spectrum plots of 10k halides you see the biggest difference is a lot more energy in the 450-500nm region, which corresponds to the issue with 470nm LEDs causing some fuss when added into the mix. Turquoise is likely at the edge of the action spectrum and certainly safer than 470nm at high intensity levels.

As to anything being relevant in the green/yellow/orange/red/far-red my own opinion is it doesn't mean much unless you're a nuisance algae growing on a rock at low tide. I did see a few research papers on a Japanese site showing far red had a negative affect on SPS. Likely because it tells the coral it's growing above water.

SPS growers have known for years that 10k halides have better growth rates than 14-20k halides. If you look at spectrum plots of 10k halides you see the biggest difference is a lot more energy in the 450-500nm region, which corresponds to the issue with 470nm LEDs causing some fuss when added into the mix. Turquoise is likely at the edge of the action spectrum and certainly safer than 470nm at high intensity levels.

Blaster, I am confused as to what you are saying in this paragraph. Many people have said that 10k halides grow sps better that 14-20k halides, this is true, but if the main difference is the extra energy in the 450-500nm range then this would be a good thing,no?

As to anything being relevant in the green/yellow/orange/red/far-red my own opinion is it doesn't mean much unless you're a nuisance algae growing on a rock at low tide. I did see a few research papers on a Japanese site showing far red had a negative affect on SPS. Likely because it tells the coral it's growing above water.

I agree that this is probably true but has it ever been tested? I would think it would be pretty easy, stick a couple frags under a royal blue only led light and note how it grows.

Exotic%20LED.JPG

so wens the release date?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
so wens the release date?

April 4th we will accept pre orders

They should start shipping to customers the week of April 16th.

M@rine_lover

Exotic%20LED.JPG

Will HVTV come out at the same time?

OCW w/o HVTV is just like something is MISSING....LOL!

International shipping is my bane, I cannot figure out how on earth to deal with it. We started opening up Air Mail which is a decent price but for heatsinks, its impossible to ship them cheaply.

Is that First-Class Mail International Large Envelope? Price is reasonable (less than $5 for a handfull of LED stars) but I have no idea of the time it takes to get here. We have practically no suppliers of DIY LED stuff in the UK unfortunately.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Is that First-Class Mail International Large Envelope? Price is reasonable (less than $5 for a handfull of LED stars) but I have no idea of the time it takes to get here. We have practically no suppliers of DIY LED stuff in the UK unfortunately.

We do that already for UK, its the heavy stuff that is expensive.

what is HVTV? Link?

High Voltage True Violet - Basically a 3UP True Violet.

milad, can you give a little more details on the ocean coral white? is it used in combination with a cool/neutral white and a royal blue?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
milad, can you give a little more details on the ocean coral white? is it used in combination with a cool/neutral white and a royal blue?

Its designed to be side by side with the 3UP we released last year with the XT-E Royal Blue and Neutral White combo

So in a 24x24 area you would put 9 of these 3UPs and 4 of the OCW and you have a full spectrum build with only two different stars. Just trying to make it easier to setup a DIY build.

The OCW doesn't have the True Violet in it so the extra actinic look would be separate (trying to keep cost down).

Archived