SaltCritters.com

R.I.P. Swayd's 20L!

swayd

YWG died, I believe it was due to stress, so I currently have no fish in the tank. I just ordered a MH with T5 fixture and should be here on Friday. I am really excited and cant wait to post pics.

Here is the most recent FTS which was taken 10-12-10 right after I fed my corals.

Newest FTS and yes I know its crappy, so sorry in advanced.

octftswithVHO.jpg

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha I took the nice ones from my brothers tank which he said he was breaking down :naughtydance: . He has like 30lbs of it still which I am also waiting to steal as soon as he finishes breaking down lol fingerscrossed , but for now I am happy. I think I am only going to add a couple more pieces of LR in the future!

So I got my MH with T5 and it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance::wub:

its only been about 4 days and I can already see the difference in the colors and behavior of the corals! The T5 part of the fixture makes everything look so darn awesome especially at night.

I do have a question though, am I supposed to leave the T5 on all night?

I also got some new corals, I got: orange zoas, cat eye zoas, a favia, some weird type of ric, and a small kenya tree and mushroom as a freebie. Pics are coming soon!

NO!!!!!!!

t5 are only supposed to be on an hour more than the mh.

run a lighting schedule like this

t5 12pm-8pm

mh 12:30pm- 7:30pm

getting that dawn dusk effect & making the tank look awesome

Thank you!

I am still fighting that stuff but my CUC doesnt seem to do much for this problem. I do have to admit that I think this is due to the old VHO bulbs being old and not suitable anymore. Now that I have the MH it is slowly disappearing. I hope these diatoms go away quick, but for now I am just sticking to my water changes and light cycle.

The sump/fuge to come should also help with this problem. I think I am getting a 550gph rio pump for the return, since I am only going to have it about 3' from the display. What do you think?

So I went ahead and added a couple of fish. On friday,I stopped by my LFS and saw the tiniest little red scooter and an even smaller YWG and I had to have one. So I put them to the test, and asked the dude to feed them. At first the red scooter was just swimming around and then all of a sudden BAM, he ate a piece of mysis almost bigger than him. :happy:

THEN, we went over to the YWG which is only about 1" total length, and he didnt even hesitate, he gobbled up all the food quickly. So YWG it is, I brought him home and acclimated him and off he went into my 20L...

He is still eating anything and everything that crosses his path.

Now I also went in on Saturday and traded in my clowns. I decicded on a Sx Line Wrasse, which was so pretty and active too. I brought him home and acclimated him and then he disappeared as soon as I let him out. On Sunday I was looking into the tank and I see the fattest little six line ever, oh yeah he is also only about 1" total length too. I am guessing he got straight to business when I put him in and started eating everything as well.

I am so surprised that both fish are eating so much, so quick. I am glad I got them and look forward to seeing them grow.

BUT, I have a quick question!!!!!!!!

Can I have sexy shrimp in there with the Six Line Wrasse and Yellow Watchman Goby, or will they try to eat them? I wanted to get a school of sexy shrimp going, but I dont know wether I should now that I added these fish?

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, so I finally have everything set-up.

I finished building my sump and got all of the hoses, sand, LR, chaeto, filter sock, carbon, and overflow going. It took a while to get all of the hoses and water levels just right but with a little team work everything turned out great!

So my new and improved system consists of:

20L tank

CPR CS50 Overflow

Taam Rio 1100 return pump at 1'

Hydor Koralia 1 (750GPH)

10gallon sump with Liverock, Livesand, Chaeto, filter sock, and Chemi-pure Elite with 18watt PC

150watt Metal halide with 2x14watt T5

Any advice at this point?

Pics coming soon!

Thats just the back wall I never clean lol...

Dude I am super cheap and never buy expensive corals lol I got it for $5 a super good deal

I am working on setting up my 10g sump on my 20 long and was wondering how fast the flow is at the outlet of your return nozzle. Is a jet of water coming out or is it more of just a slow flow out?

Its actually a very decent flow, I mean its not a jet stream of water but its right in between. I am running a bit smaller tubing but it works just fine. One thing that helps slow the flow is having that siphon break hole at the top of the return. It can be a bit noisy but I like that sound lol

I can post more detailed pics if you would like!

• 2 weeks later...

My nitrates are way up and I think it is because I dont have enough chaeto in there to filter the water...

The GHA is starting to recede as I have brought my nitrates down somewhat by adding my skimmer again. I am going to go get some more chaeto today and maybe some more turbos limpets and chitons!

And I have a phoenix 14k 150w on the way as we are speaking, as I thinkl the GHA is also happening because of the bad bulb!

So I am now on the road to a slow recovery. As everyone used to tell me not to use tap water, I have learned my lesson the hard way. I have been having a problem with GHA and diatoms for a while now. I just decided to find a water machine and found one not 2 minutes from my house, go figure.

Now I am using Glacier water, which I read was an good source of water and I am still waiting fro my Phoenix to arrive. I am testing everyday and now have 5 turbo snails that have literally eaten almost ALL of my GHA. I am doing 2 5gallon water changes a week and will do so for the next 3 weeks, then I will return to my regular 1 5gallon water change a week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point.

THANKS!

Watch out for those water machines, they tend to not change the filter often.

Have you cut down your lights?

Good luck with recovery, keep changing that water! :)

I checked and they change the filter every two weeks, the last posted service was 11-15-10.

Yeah my lights are at 6 hours a day right now.

Thank youzzzz!

Archived