ReefCleaners.org

Need Advice: 40B drilling, herbie, return

Deleted User 6

cool. mind explaining why? just for my curiosity.

I'll try. You want the emergency drain as high as possible, to offer maximum flexibility for the main drain to fluctuate if it needs it. You want the main drain low enough to stay submerged easily and leave that flex space between it and the emergency drain. At the same time you don't want the main drain all the way at the bottom because then you've got the whole overflow draining down into the sump in a pump-off situation. The answer to that is just have less water in the overflow, but then you'll hear the splashing of the water falling from the overflow teeth down to the water level in the bottom of the overflow itself.

That clear enough? I can try again, or use pictures if I'm talking you in circles.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6

no that makes sense. i'm going to try to drill tonight if i have the time. i think the overflow is going to be glass without teeth though.

no that makes sense. i'm going to try to drill tonight if i have the time. i think the overflow is going to be glass without teeth though.

I think I'm going to try a toothless overflow on the new 29. My hypothesis is toothless will be a little quieter and cause less bubbles than one with teeth, but I haven't done any research on it.

Deleted User 6

i have a toothless on my current tank and it works fine. not sure what the point of teeth are anyways.

i have a toothless on my current tank and it works fine. not sure what the point of teeth are anyways.
I guess to act as a strainer.

One other way that seems to work well is the glass holes 700gph kit. Obviously there is just one drain, but its super solid, I also drilled two 1" returns (which were dropped down to 3/4" for Loc Lines.

download_1.jpg

Deleted User 6

glass-holes kit is loud as hell, ime. i use one on my current tank and never could get it to quiet down.

You know what's sad... I still haven't finished the tank I was talking about in tigah's overflow diagram thread...

anyways, it looks like I'm trying to do a similar setup, but instead of using standpipes I think I'll have the overflows coming out of the back.

If you make a decision post some pics.. I'll do the same.

They're quiet if you put less than half of the recommended flow through them, but then again, almost anything is. They're quality made kits though, and you can't beat the price. I had a 2000 gph kit, with a mag3 return pump! That thing was as close to silent as any flowing water I've ever heard.

Deleted User 6

yeah, i'm running an MJ1200 as my return on my current tank, lol. mine's pretty quiet.

here's what i'm thinking. view from back of tank. holes are staggered for piping. black line is the overflow wall.

drilledholes.bmp

Dh, nice paint skills.

lol @ "skillzypoo" I wonder who got the idea of using "poo" as a term of endearment anyways?

Here's what I did:

928866311_fv4p9-L.jpg

929909435_RxPiS-L.jpg

When I install the plumbing in the back I'll post more pics.

Dhuat, glad to see u moving right along. Been following thread because I'm planning on doing the same kind of build.

Some questions. Is that a glass overflow, and how far down from the top is it?

Also, are there other advantages to going herbie rather than gl#######s than just noise?

Thanks

Deleted User 6

Overflow is glass I painted black. It's about 1" from the top of the tank glass. i don't plan to have waves, so it shouldn't be splashing over the rim.

I went herbie because of the noise. Not sure if there are other advantages - bitts?

Wow sorry D hadn't noticed any post in here. Again sorry.

Ok that first ?

For any one followingsince while I'm late & D's already done it. Determine the needed flow. Then pick a bulkhead which will acomadate it. This be comes the backup. Place it far enough down to have some flexability in the water line. Then the main will go below it. I like to have 6-8 inch's to help adjust the flow & water lines hieght in the overflow. In my exo for exsample it needs 3" to noit suck air bubbles down. Leaving 3" to play with for noise level. I like having the water line as close to the back up/wier as posable for noise. But as skills added there's more water that will drain @ power off.

As to the wier. Smooth is what I would recomend to improve skimming. Teeth are used to keep fish from going over when the wier has to much flow per inch. Things like clowns get sucked over suprisingly easaly.

Ok big D from the pics looks perfect.oven the overflow being painted.

The other beni to the herbie besides noise is well dry floors. I know I joke about this all the time. But a single drain is just not as safe as two, & on big tanks 3(extra is used as a siphon to empty the overflow in a hurry :) thus no flooding) I got into the plumbin g part of the hobby cause of my wifes stippulation "if the floor ever gets wet their gone". Since back in the day my wife & sister in law were the ones that had to deal with our friends big tank exploding through the fronts bottom seem. Lol they still hold it over us. Then found I couldent sleep with the noise. So those would be the two I know of.

Thanks guys. I think ill be doing herbie in the middle of tank with two returns on the sides. Now to figure out how to make my overflow

Also bits what is and where can i get a SWDC? If i have read correctly it will split the returns about every 8 second or so

scwd

switching

current

wave

device

rate of change is based on amount of flow, along with efficiency.

• 3 weeks later...
Deleted User 6

Well, it's up and running. Everything works fine, except overflow box is noisy from water flowing over it and the drain keeps sucking in bubbles. Any ideas on fixing that one?

Archived