ReefCleaners.org

Need Advice: 40B drilling, herbie, return

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

Sweet. Thanks again man. I'll scrapthe check valve and look for the plumbing parts at Lowes. The lowes in Brooklyn kinda sucks though, which is why I'm looking to get stuff online. I'll drop back to sch. 40.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6

sweet...says i need a 1.04" drain size at full pump power. with the head loss, i'll be golden.

only thing is, i need 5/8" pipe. someone help me figure this one out pls. what bulkhead and parts do I need for 5/8" vinyl tubing?

Deleted User 6

fwiw, i have one of those over-the-wall plastic returns that i could run 5/8" tubing to. might be worth it to just use that?

Deleted User 6

ID

I might have to do a 3/4" bulkhead and just use some kind of reducer (maybe I can get a 5/8" - 3/4" hose barb).

I bet hot water dip of the 5/8" vinyl hose would soften it enough to get over the 3/4" OD of the bulkhead. I mean you're only talking a 1/8" ID expansion on the tube. Probably need some other input on that though.

Deleted User 6

yeah, that could work. i dunno...what's the benefit of drilling a bulkhead vs. an over-the-wall return?

I bet hot water dip of the 5/8" vinyl hose would soften it enough to get over the 3/4" OD of the bulkhead. I mean you're only talking a 1/8" ID expansion on the tube. Probably need some other input on that though.

Damn spanko beat me to it. Yeah just boil some water stick the tube in to soften then jam the hose barb in. 3/4" is biger than 5/8" but not much. If it makes you feel better I've actualy had tubing that after it had been running a while with tank water. Worked loose enough to form salt creap with out clamps. So this will probably be a good thing.

Deleted User 6

Thanks bitts - but i don't think i'm going o be drilling a return after all. i'll be using an over-the-wall u-tube return and probably extending it a bit with some loc-line.

Beni of the bulkhead is a cleaner looking tank. Can use a lid & have it be a little more secure if there will be jumpers.

How can you not love this plumbiing stuff its the best part. Who cares about fish its all about the setup. But yeah it is spencive. the plan I had for the 29 would have cost more than the mp 10 I picked up (that's why I have it).

Deleted User 6

Yeah, the cleaner look is attractive, but not for the price. I already built a screen top for the tank so I'll just run the return pipe over it, or cut out a little area for it in the screen.

Also check my old ten x ten did the over the wall thing worked great. Only problem I had where the siphon breaks made bubbles at times(to close to surface). Fix is to tee the line and use a little ro line to the overflow as the siphon break. Dam I really need to get a pic of that up.

Archived