Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need Advice: 40B drilling, herbie, return

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

i think i've got it all worked out now though. i'm gonna krylon the back when the paint gets here then drill the drains (or do I have that backwards?). the return is just over the back - easy peasy.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSCN0071.jpg

fts

DSCN4216.JPG

pics of the diy herbie

DSCN3095.JPG

DSCN3102.JPG

DSCN3095.JPG

DSCN3097.JPG

drains are 1" controlled by ball valve below.

DSCN5039.JPG

Deleted User 6

nice dude.

i need a male x male coupling to make the gate valve work with a 90* pvc elbow.

i mean a nipple (snicker)

Deleted User 6

just ordered everything.

fyi, i love mcmaster-carr.

Ok d let me see if I understand this right. You want a male nipple.

yes bitts, i want a male nipple. nay, i need a male nipple.

Try coming out the back to a 90* to a hose barb fitting. Then vinyl tubing to the ball valve. From there plumb to sump.

Used bulkheads from the depot on my 29. The gate valve came from amazon. Every thing else come from home depot. Oh the glass for the exo was the glass shop. & silicone was online but can't remember the name.

Don't know if this helps but thought it might be usefull.

Holesaws are a pain. If yo don't get it just right. No more tank. Practice on cheap glass a bunch.

Deleted User 6

I used the glass-holes holesaw on my last tank and it went fine, so I'm thinking i'll be ok on this one too. if not, i'll just cuss a bunch and go get a new 40B for $40, lol.

:lol:

I love that sale. Omly thing is it was like 3 days after I picked up the 20long. Duh!

Hey guys been following closely here as I bought the same set up 40b and 20l for sump and plan on drilling.

My question is, is there any real advantage to drilling two outputs to go back into the display or would that be overkill.

Thanks

GG

Deleted User 6

you could use a SCWD to get more random flow or even a wave effect from your return. or two returns just give you more direct flow in two places instead of one.

you could use a SCWD to get more random flow or even a wave effect from your return. or two returns just give you more direct flow in two places instead of one.

Noob question.... SCWD?

Thanks

Also, does $15 a whole sound good for a glass shop to drill? Of course at own risk.

Don't mean to hijack ur thread but u and bitts seam to be the experts :D :D

10 - 15 seems normal.

As for returns. My 29 is running 2 with a scwd & a vortec. Problum that I've encountered is that the flow from the returns interferes with the wave action. Thus will be dropping down to a QO 1200 from 2200. Started the tank running eductor nozzles. But have since pulled them out. If I had it to do again would think about more to disperce the flow. Went with 2 for the eductors. Had planned 4 to start but second gessedthe plan oh. Well

Also check out neanderthals 40 thread.

Deleted User 6

bitts, for the emergency drain, how high up the back should I drill it? I'm guessing the goal is to restrict flow of the main drain to where no air gets sucked into it, but keep the water level in the overflow lower than the emergency drain so that no water flows into it?

bitts, for the emergency drain, how high up the back should I drill it? I'm guessing the goal is to restrict flow of the main drain to where no air gets sucked into it, but keep the water level in the overflow lower than the emergency drain so that no water flows into it?
How tall is your overflow? Full height of the tank?

If yes, then drill your main drain in the middle, and your emergency drain near the top.

Archived