Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need Advice: 40B drilling, herbie, return

Deleted User 6

Well, it's up and running. Everything works fine, except overflow box is noisy from water flowing over it and the drain keeps sucking in bubbles. Any ideas on fixing that one?

I can't remember what kind of overflow pipe you have, but one of my local Club Members fixed a noisy overflow pipe by putting resting a BioBall on top of the pipe where the water overflows.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6

I don't think that would work with mine unfortunately. I think what I may have to do is split the pipe to slow down the flow. It's either that, or downgrade my pump. There's just too much water flowing over that overflow, even though the drain can handle it.

No should be working. Mmm

If need be put an elbow in the upper bulkhead enableing the water line to be an inch or two higher.

I run my Herbie with just a trickle of water running quietly into the backup drain. It was too touchy to try to balance the flow and keep the water level high enough to cut the noise from the overflow.

I never have to adjust my gate valve now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey DHaut, really nice job. Can you show us some more pictures of your plumbing. Also, did you end up tuning the lower drain valve (closing it down to restrict flow) so that you have water trickling through the back-up drain? Is that still silent? Does it also self-tune reasonably well if the return pump flow rate changes?

I can get some pics later. But on the other questions, yes.

Cool, appreciate it. Also, have you tried closing off the lower primary drain completely and seeing how the emergency drain handles it? I suppose there's no reason it wouldn't work because even if there's less hydrostatic pressure in the upper drain, it's also not obstructed by the gate valve like the primary drain. But I'd be curious if you've tried it.

Archived