ReefCleaners.org

The Ultimate CUBE ! 280g...The obsession continues...

cbort

I would only expect a cycle if you added additional LR which could have some die off or some additional stock that would increase your BioLoad. Keep in mind although you have increase your water volume X3 your systems only has the balanced amount of bacteria for a smaller bioload. It will take several weeks for the system to grow the additional bacteria to handle a larger bioload that the increase system size will eventually result in when you start adding additional corals and Fish.

I have found that transferring from an old system a new one you will get the typical Diatom algae bloom and as you already know a chance of Cyano. It seems that Diatoms like to grow on newly added stuff like rocks, sand and equipment.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would only expect a cycle if you added additional LR which could have some die off or some additional stock that would increase your BioLoad. Keep in mind although you have increase your water volume X3 your systems only has the balanced amount of bacteria for a smaller bioload. It will take several weeks for the system to grow the additional bacteria to handle a larger bioload that the increase system size will eventually result in when you start adding additional corals and Fish.

I have found that transferring from an old system a new one you will get the typical Diatom algae bloom and as you already know a chance of Cyano. It seems that Diatoms like to grow on newly added stuff like rocks, sand and equipment.

Ok will try to come up with a different plan.

Ok, so i just installed the lower Closed Loop. Not to happy with the flow. Its very weak! I am using a reeflo dart. With a 1 1/2“ drain from the Bulkhead to the inlet. I am using 1” from the dart's outlet to the OM. The OM i believe uses 3/4“ inlets.

2 of my returns are Y'd into 2 outlets so i have a total of 6 outlets. I know ofcourse if i just take them down to 4 outlets all together flow will be a bit better, but the flow is still pathetic for what i was thinking it would produce. Any ideas? Or possibilities to why?

I now have 5 returns from the CL and flow got a little better since putting on 4 flow accelerators on 4 out of the 5 returns. I took both flow accelerators off of my frag tank and jimmy rigged them with these:

DSC_0147-6.jpg

They now look something like this and the flow is actually close to equal:

DSC_0149-5.jpg

I ended up putting the dart behind the tank, its really quiet! I tested it on my wife. I asked her if she could hear the pump and she didn't notice it until I mentioned it. So it passed the wife test. It will be quieter when the stand is skinned and completed. Here are some shots of my CL setup:

DSC_0145-4.jpg

DSC_0137-3.jpg

DSC_0146-5.jpg

DSC_0133-4.jpg

DSC_0134-4.jpg

DSC_0135-2.jpg

And here are some shots of my messy fish room. I tried to take a gradual photo tour as you walk into the fish room...

The first shot is what you see right when look through the doorway:

DSC_0138-6.jpg

Next is a shot from within the doorway

DSC_0144-3.jpg

Turning the corner just slightly:

DSC_0143-3.jpg

A little more:

DSC_0141-4.jpg

And finally where my frag table will be setup just before you get to the RO system and to the right of the RO system will by QT tank:

DSC_0142-3.jpg

you my friend are a rare type of American usally people dont bother with innovation and just have other people do stuff for them or but it pre-made. not you. your a true handyman and what your making is truly amazing and innovated. you inspire me

love the tank keep up the good work

gulfsurfer101

This tank is pretty $#&! cool. Awsome pics and awsome coral too. Hope you get this running the way you want.

you my friend are a rare type of American usally people dont bother with innovation and just have other people do stuff for them or but it pre-made. not you. your a true handyman and what your making is truly amazing and innovated. you inspire me

love the tank keep up the good work

Thanks andre1000! I like doing DIY projects, but you have to have time to do them, and that is my problem. I don't hardly have enough time to get to everything that i want completed so i usually end up taking short cuts. Family and work comes first then the hobby :) Thanks a lot for the compliments! Hope to have the tank filled and linked to the system here within a few weeks!

This tank is pretty $#&! cool. Awsome pics and awsome coral too. Hope you get this running the way you want.

Thanks a lot gulfsurfer101! This tank so far has been the way i want it. Hopefully it finishes off the way i want it to also!

Builder Anthony

Its awalys fun when someone who doesnt know about saltwater tank see your tank for the first time.People are awalys impressed.Im haveing some people over for my birthday tommrow and im sure there will be alot of people in my room checking things out.They are fun for family.

Its awalys fun when someone who doesnt know about saltwater tank see your tank for the first time.People are awalys impressed.Im haveing some people over for my birthday tommrow and im sure there will be alot of people in my room checking things out.They are fun for family.

I agree its fun to show people your reef! Most people think that a "Saltwater Aquarium" is a fish tank with a clownfish in it, its pretty cool to see their reactions when they see your personal "reef."

Bad thing is they get really intimidated and don't think they can keep one! I live in a small town and i am always trying to get new people to start up reef tanks. They do love the tanks tho!

This is the ultimate cube, sir. I applaud you.

Thanks SoCalDude! I love cubes and this thus far is my view of the ultimate cube!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still awaiting the finishing of the display tank, but in the mean time i have been collecting a few new corals! Here are a few shots of the frag rack that is filling up fast!

may29c.jpg

may29b.jpg

may29a.jpg

And just a few more.... :)

May30m.jpg

May30l.jpg

May30k.jpg

And also wanted to show my growth of just over 3 months on my acans...

This shot was from 2/28/11 (just left of the war paint scolly)

Monday1-1.jpg

And this is from today 5/30/11

May30n.jpg

wow really nice fuzzy sticks lol but that cube is sick and your doing a crazy good job on this build.

Thanks! I have some really nice reefers around me to trade with luckily! Otherwise my tanks would not look the way they do!

Thanks for the compliments on the large cube. Its coming along slowly. Just need to add salt and more sand! Should not be too far off now!

Very very very cool man. If I was driving down the road and saw someone with a 240g cube on their roof I think I would follow them and offer help setting it up... its just that sweet, haha.

Thanks for the updates.

Very very very cool man. If I was driving down the road and saw someone with a 240g cube on their roof I think I would follow them and offer help setting it up... its just that sweet, haha.

Thanks for the updates.

Ya i had a lot of strange looks, nobody tried to follow me home and set it up unfortunately :) I actually found someone to get it off of the Durango, but ended up carrying it up the stairs of my deck into the house and then down a flight of stairs into the basement by myself. :) Oh and after making the stand putting it on top of the stand too multiple times!

This hobby is sooo worth it! :)

Thanks again Gabe!

Nice work, those frags are awesome.

I am always surprised at how many Iowans are reef keepers.

Thanks kgehrke! The frag collecting is starting off pretty good! Hope to keep em coming! My goal is to have atleast a frag of each of these before any of them goes into the display tank. So they all need to get growing! :)

Iowan reefers are pretty strong! There are a lot of us for being "Iowa" :)

• 2 months later...

Still hanging in there. OM sprung a leak so i had to shut down the bottom CL. Going to order a new piece for it after finally figuring out what was wrong. For the past month i have been letting the tank cycle. I finally added a light the other night and now the real BLOOM has began. Lots of life has appeared since adding rock from my sump. I even took a large chunk of Cheato that was sitting in my sump and shook it in the display tank letting all the pods and small snails fall to the sand. I am going to go about another 2+ weeks letting everything stabilize before opening all of the drains and letting both my established frag system and display tank share the same sump. Just wanted to update my page since it has been a while. Thanks for following along!

Curtis

Archived