Top Shelf Aquatics

The Ultimate CUBE ! 280g...The obsession continues...

cbort

Another update! Finally got my RO today. Its a Coralife Pure-Flo 2. 50gpd system. Also i picked up a matching coralife Pure-Flo 2 Float and automatic shut off valve kit. Here are the pics after getting home tonight From picking them up! Enjoy!

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

More pics to come of the install!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks TyTy22,

Finished hooking it up at around 2am last night. First try the darn thing leaked out of about 6 different places. I took al the fittings apart and used the tape thread to seal up the threads and everything works great!

The camera is working really good! It is going to take me a little while to figure everything out on it! There are so many different settings to play with and modes to capture different shots. I am just a beginner as far as photography but should figure it out soon enough. My first upgrade will for sure be a nice macro lens!

How much did everyone see their water bill go up once they began using an RO system? We had a toilet that needed a new flapper and so it countinously ran until we got it fixed, and we ended up having a decent sized water bill, so i am hoping it doesn't go up too much! :) Either way it will beat bringing home buckets of water every other night!

Ok...Got the new RO system hooked up. Had to discard the first 10 gallons per the manual. Thus far i have made about 50 gallons. Here are some shots of where I have it sitting at the moment.

DSC_0173-1.jpg

DSC_0172-1.jpg

The wall directly behind the RO system is my basement bathroom/laundry room. That worked out well for my discard hose. I simply drilled a hole through the wall and inserted the discard hose into where my washing machine discards its waste water. The wall you are currently seeing will eventually be my frag station. I am planning on building a small work bench that i can do my fragging on. It will have a shop light above it and my quarantine tank will be on the wall to the right.

Next....I am in the process of drilling more holes into the bottom of my display tank for my CL. The tank originally had the return from the sump coming up through the bottom, and i do not feel comfortable with this, so i will have my returns from my CL come through the bottom instead.

DSC_0147-1.jpg

DSC_0146-1.jpg

DSC_0142-1.jpg

Rear shot of the tank...

DSC_0145-1.jpg

I also had to take all of my rockwork out of the display tank to get the new holes drilled. It was a bit tricky but i think i managed to keep my aquascape the way it was...

DSC_0144-1.jpg

DSC_0143-1.jpg

Finally...Still debating whether or not i want to track down a second OM 4-way and add another CL coming out from the top. The tank is already drilled for a CL to come from the top of the tank so i guess if there is not enough flow, i can always add it later. Here are some shots with the OM revolutions installed. There is another that goes into the rear but i did not put it on. I am just not sure if i want to have anything coming from the top. For the most part all of my plumbing will be hidden with the rockwork which i like. I guess we will just see how much flow i get from just the 1 CL first and then i can add another later.

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155-1.jpg

DSC_0166-2.jpg

DSC_0165-2.jpg

DSC_0164-3.jpg

DSC_0162-3.jpg

DSC_0169-2.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

Ok...Tank is drilled for the CL in the bottom of the tank. Tried to drill the holes where the rockwork would cover up my returns. I really want to keep this display as clean as possible.

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

Now the real fun begins! Plumbing the display tank! :) I do not wish this task upon anyone! Plumbing a tank of this size is a real pain in the butt!

Here is my mess...I've got all my pieces to the puzzle and still trying to figure out where to start!

DSC_0096.jpg

Going to plumb the returns coming off of the OM first...

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

My dart 3600gph CL pump that will be used in the bottom CL

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

And some shots of the Dart and the OM 4-Way

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

Looks like you had a busy day. Looks great!

I have actually had some a busy week! I am very determined to get this tank up and going! I have livestock waiting to be put into the cube and want to get it online quickly! I have been up until about 1-2am every night for over a week just trying to get the setup done. If only Home Depot or Lowes was open 24 hours i think i would have been done by now. I have made 4 trips in 5 days. :) I need a day off! :)

This may or may not look like much progress for a 3 hour nights worth of work but i was about to throw it all away and buy a couple vortechs instead! Next time i am using the flexible PVC hose instead! Anyways...The return side of the CL is done! Just need to run the drain the the Dart and run the return pipe from the dart to the OM, then i will leak test it. Then after that i will quickly plumb the drain for the tank and plumb it's return. Then fill the tank full for a final leak test and she should be ready to add fresh saltwater! Enjoy!

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

Really the scrathes are minimal, and the tank just needs to be cleaned. It literally was drained and brought to my house. No cleaning or anything. Once water is in it, you will only see a few scratches. I do plan on doing a once over with Nova 2 and 3 if i have time...

You can tell the difference in this shot of the front panel and the right panel. The front has been cleaned and the right panel has not...Huge difference. Mainly just dried up salt residue.

DSC_0093.jpg

Well since the tank had to be drilled for a few more holes, i had to pull rockwork out. I thought i could keep it pretty much the same, but once i put the rock back into the tank, the plumbing needed to be hidden so the aquascape has changed a bit. Here is how the rock fell into place....

DSC_0126-2.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0115-1.jpg

DSC_0114-1.jpg

DSC_0113-1.jpg

DSC_0112-1.jpg

DSC_0111-1.jpg

DSC_0110-1.jpg

DSC_0109-1.jpg

DSC_0108-1.jpg

DSC_0107-1.jpg

DSC_0106-1.jpg

A few more shots before i head to bed for the night....

I did get the holes drilled in the wall for my plumbing. I still cannot believe my wife allowed me to do this :)

DSC_0110-2.jpg

This is where my CL pumps will sit. Out of the way, but still in an easy access spot for me to get a hold of.

DSC_0111-2.jpg

Here are some quick shots of close ups of my hidden locline closed loop plumbing.

DSC_0106-2.jpg

DSC_0107-2.jpg

DSC_0108-2.jpg

Here is the start of my floor in my stand

DSC_0109-2.jpg

A couple more of the new aquascape.

DSC_0114-2.jpg

DSC_0113-2.jpg

And finally some wide shots of the “Man Cave” to give ya an idea of the room that the tank is in.

DSC_0117-1.jpg

DSC_0115-2.jpg

DSC_0116-1.jpg

DSC_0118-1.jpg

DSC_0119-1.jpg

sweet cube. its huge! lol really digen the aqua scape and the pluming its cool the way you designed it for random flow. great job

Thanks! I really tried to make sure i had flow in all areas of the tank. With a tank this large its easy to have dead spots, and i think i should be pretty good with this flow patern. I really don't want to have any returns coming from the top, but i think i am going to have to just to make sure the flow is high enough. Thanks again for looking!

theman cave needs a leather coach and a wet bar

I am looking into the theatre chairs :) Black ofcourse. As for a wet bar, i don't know if i have any more room. Would be nice tho!

Nice! I love the new scape. Nice way of hiding the plumbing.

Thanks! Hiding the plumbing is a bit of a challenge especially with larger rocks!

• 1 month later...
How did you clean up the acrylic?

Updates? Great cubes.

That is actually just the condition of the acrylic. It had not been cleaned at all since we tore down the running system and delivered to my house. It still had dried up salt/sand all over the entire tank. Once cleaned, it looks like a new tank! Thanks for the compliments! Updates to follow!

Well...The 57g frag tank has cycled and is now starting to fill up with livestock that is waiting for their new home to finish up!

I aquired 3 green carpet nems that may or not make it to the display tank. I kinda like them in the frag tank, but we will see.

DSC_0175-2.jpg

DSC_0172-2.jpg

DSC_0177-2.jpg

DSC_0163-4.jpg

Here are some shots of the 57g frag tank

DSC_0182-1.jpg

DSC_0179-2.jpg

DSC_0180-1.jpg

DSC_0181-1.jpg

Archived