SaltCritters.com

The Ultimate CUBE ! 280g...The obsession continues...

cbort

I'd go with 3 and large U shape. Maybe slope it so that one end of the U goes all the way to the surface. Maybe even slighyly above. And the other end coming all the way down to sandbed. Load of zoas and a huge acro overhang.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...here is a quick update.... Not a very good one...

Rained a lot the last few weeks, then in about 3 hours we got hit with 8“ of rain. The cube is in the basement, and the basement got about 2” of flooding. Soo...We are presently sucking all the water out of the carpet. Luckily its fresh water, and pretty clear. We got a head of it and kept up on Shop Vaccing it out. It has stopped coming in and now we are shampooing and re shampooing and then shampooing again. Then it will be back to the cube!

I'd go with 3 and large U shape. Maybe slope it so that one end of the U goes all the way to the surface. Maybe even slighyly above. And the other end coming all the way down to sandbed. Load of zoas and a huge acro overhang.

That sounds pretty cool! It is going to be a lot of fun aquascaping this tank! A buddy local to me has a blue lined rabbit fish that is about 6-7" that he is selling and this will be one of the first fish added to this tank! I am excited to be able to get 2-3 nice sized fish for this tank. With an open aquascaping, this should be no problem for them!

All of your tanks are very nice! Some of the nicest ive seen by far, waiting to see how this one comes out. If i had that size i would probably do a baby bamboo shark. Idk y i just always wanted a shark lol. Keep up the great job and UPDATES with lots of pics!

very nice. Is the tank acrylic?

Thanks! Yes this tank is made of acrylic, and i am glad it is after carrying it down to the basement by myself!

Mate, more power to you. This venture looks excellent and you clearly know what you're doing.

Just out of interest, looking back at your other tanks, what fish did you have in your 40g?

• 1 month later...

Well...its been a while since i have gotten on here! During my move to my new house, i lost about 90 percent of my corals, I will be lucky to have 1-2 varieties of zoas still remaining from my once 80+ count. No fish and none of my 12-15 nems made it either, the one good thing is another reefer did take my 5color lobo and as far as i know its still alive.

Anyway...I go on Vacation the week of the 13th and will be going to the Chiefs/Chargers Monday night football game, but then after that its all work and no play! I am going to get saltwater running through this system! My man cave will be finished and this tank will finally be alive! Once back on my feet in the hobby, i will be looking for frags of all the different kinds of zoas i once had! Anyway, i will be on here lots more now! :)

Mate, more power to you. This venture looks excellent and you clearly know what you're doing.

Just out of interest, looking back at your other tanks, what fish did you have in your 40g?

My 40g has had lots of fish...3 purple tangs, lots of different gobies, foxface, cleanershrimp, niger trigger, yellow long nose butterfly. Many others.

Put both fixtures over the tank to see what it would look like and see how bright it is going to be.... Vacation is only a few days away!!!!

IMG_0339-1.jpg

IMG_0338-1.jpg

IMG_0337-1.jpg

And the tanning bed....:)

IMG_0336-1.jpg

IMG_0335-1.jpg

This cube is ( o )( o ) !!!

I'm impressed at how quick you've set this thing up. I probably started around the same time as you in July and I'm still finishing the stand and sump!

Sucks to hear about the losses during your move though... what happened?

Sorry to hear about your losses. I lost all of my corals last year when I moved, it's very crappy. I didn't have nearly as many as you did either.

Can't wait to see you finish this thing up. Hope you're enjoying your vacation!

This cube is ( o )( o ) !!!

I'm impressed at how quick you've set this thing up. I probably started around the same time as you in July and I'm still finishing the stand and sump!

Sucks to hear about the losses during your move though... what happened?

Well moving did not go so well...There was some mis-communication between me and the landlord. He had said i had our rental property until a certain day. I took that as i had to have all of my stuff out of the house by 12AM that night. Which i didn't realize meant i had to have all of my stuff out before that day...Anyway...I got back to my place at about 10PM to begin the tank move, and did not get done until 5am. I had planned on taking an entire day to move everything, and instead had to do it in the middle of the night. I ended up breaking my tank and my makeshift setup did not do very well....So on and so forth...everything went down hill fast.

I have moved plenty of times and always leave myself about 24Hours to move it....This is what happens when you don't plan and try to do it quickly....

Awesome cube dude! I followed your old thread, and this one looks even better.

Thanks! The tank should have water in it really soon!

Sorry to hear about your losses. I lost all of my corals last year when I moved, it's very crappy. I didn't have nearly as many as you did either.

Can't wait to see you finish this thing up. Hope you're enjoying your vacation!

Ya its not a good feeling at all! I am still trying not to think about how much stuff i lost! Kinda sucks to look at my tank threads!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
That sucks man. If you didn't live in BFE Iowa, I would love to come help you out!

Thanks hooligan, actually i am only 2 hours from ya! :)

I drive to Missouri Valley every other week and it takes me about 1 hour 33 minutes. Another half hour to get to Omaha.

Update Time!!!...Finally....

This coming weekend (Halloween Weekend) I am picking up the rest of the equipment to finish the tank!

I made a deal with they guy that i bought the tank from for the rest of his equipment, it includes:

400lbs of rock

Ocean Motion 4-way

Sequence Dart Pump 3600gph

GenX PCX-40 Pump

GenX PCX-55HP Pump

7 400W MH bulbs Ushio and XM's

80g Sump/Refugium

2 Custom made 40g water holding acrylic tanks

1 HUGE magnet cleaner (he said it broke his buddies finger when messing around with it) :) Must be pretty powerful!

4 Revalations

and finally test kits, hardware, plumbing

So...I should have everything needed to set this tank up now the right way!

Quick question. Can I hook up 2 CL pumps to the Ocean Motion? I already have a dolphin 3600gph pump, and will now also have the Sequence Pump.

Awesome!!!

Thanks animal!

Question:

What are the rules and laws on skimmers...My system is going to be rather large 280g display+ frag tanks and sumps. There are a couple used skimmers available to me 1 rated at 300g and another rated 250g. Could I run both of these at the same time to keep up with my system? Would this be any different than getting a skimmer rated at 400-500g?

You can definitely run both skimmers simultaneously. I'm no expert here but I'd say using 2 would benefit you more than just 1 larger. Not to mention redundancy - then again there's Murphy's law too. So in theory you'd have some built-in backup with 2 skimmers, but with my usual luck they'd break down withind 2 days of each other (while I was on vacation or something).

Be sure to post pics next week when you have hauled in all your new equipment!

You can definitely run both skimmers simultaneously. I'm no expert here but I'd say using 2 would benefit you more than just 1 larger. Not to mention redundancy - then again there's Murphy's law too. So in theory you'd have some built-in backup with 2 skimmers, but with my usual luck they'd break down withind 2 days of each other (while I was on vacation or something).

Be sure to post pics next week when you have hauled in all your new equipment!

I will have pics up probably the Sunday of Halloween! :) I will return that night with a nice sized load of goodies!

I am thinking the exact same thing with the skimmers. I am thinking about going with a everyother week deep clean of each skimmer. It seems like the following 2-3 days after a good cleaning is the best skimming. So i am thinking clean a skimmer while the other skimmer is really working its hardest and pulling the most crap out of the tank.

Need everyone's thoughts...what would you do....?

1.)CL with up to 7000gph flowing through an OM 4-way?

2.)CL with 2 OM 4-ways with 2 3600gph pumps flowing through each.

3.)MP40x3

Dimensions of the tank is 48x48x28 with an open aquascape. Let me know your thoughts and reasoning! Thanks

brokenoffroad

Umm wow can't wait to see this beast come to life!

+1 on the 2 skimmers .

I like the controllability of the MP's. I'd run one on 3 sides and call it a day ..

but I would deff. Get another opinion lol.

But makes me wonder how tall would a 400-500g skimmer be and what not compared to 2 slightly smaller?..

Archived