Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Ultimate CUBE ! 280g...The obsession continues...

cbort

To me, the main appeal of a cube is its clean, symmetrical look. I would not like having the drivers of the MPs sticking off the side. Option #2 would give you great turbulent flow and a much cleaner look.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
brokenoffroad

To me, the main appeal of a cube is its clean, symmetrical look. I would not like having the drivers of the MPs sticking off the side. Option #2 would give you great turbulent flow and a much cleaner look.

Agree completely .. I am unfamiliar with the other two options , so don't mind me just adding my.02 and thinking out loud.

Awesome cube dude! I followed your old thread, and this one looks even better.

Yeah same. The picture in cbort's sig is one of my favorite tanks ever.

Umm wow can't wait to see this beast come to life!

+1 on the 2 skimmers .

I like the controllability of the MP's. I'd run one on 3 sides and call it a day ..

but I would deff. Get another opinion lol.

But makes me wonder how tall would a 400-500g skimmer be and what not compared to 2 slightly smaller?..

Thanks, a 400-500g skimemr would be a pretty large skimmer i believe.

Agree completely .. I am unfamiliar with the other two options , so don't mind me just adding my.02 and thinking out loud.

I think i am going to try either 1 or 2 first to see how i like it.

Yeah same. The picture in cbort's sig is one of my favorite tanks ever.

Thanks Bill! That means a lot!

Update time again!

Arrived home with some goodies to get this build going!

Sump: Roughly 80g Custom made

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

Pumps!

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

Ocean Motion and Revalations!

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Rock Rock and More Rock!

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

Misc. Goodies!

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

Bulbs Bulbs and more Bulbs!

Ushio 400w 20K pair (used less than 1 month)

IMG_0436.jpg

Ushio 400w 14K pair (used for 1 week)

IMG_0435.jpg

Blueline 400W 20K

IMG_0434.jpg

Radium 400W 20k

IMG_0433.jpg

Reefgrow 400W 20K

IMG_0432.jpg

Quick question about quarantine tanks. I have never ran one, never thought i needed one, nor have i had the room to have one. Now that i have a nice sized fish room, and a larger tank than what i am used to, i have decided to make the room for a 29g quarantine tank.

I am going to use an undrilled 29g tank. 1 power head and a hang on the back filter. Nothing fancy, just enough to get the job done. I am also going to put in some lace rock, but plan to go bare bottom.

Anyone see anything wrong with this setup?

My next question is, what does everyone run through there quarantine tanks for chemicals when they get a new fish?

I plan on purchasing multiple fish at 1 time to reduce any stress that aggressive fish may cause on 1 single fish. I also am going to try to purchase my smaller reef fish(gobies, wrasse, clowns) first and then add my larger fish(tangs, triggers, anthias) later. I know a lot of people purchase fish as they go, but i would like to have a plan for this tank ahead of time...

animalmaster6

I'm pretty sure you just forgot to add this but just in case you didn't have a heater in the tank.

Also, make sure the rock is not live (the chemicals will kill the "live" part of the rock) and put in PVC for great hiding.

I'm pretty sure you just forgot to add this but just in case you didn't have a heater in the tank.

Also, make sure the rock is not live (the chemicals will kill the "live" part of the rock) and put in PVC for great hiding.

Yes, thanks. I will have a Heater in the tank. The rock that will be in the tank will just be some nice looking lace rock. Nothing that will ever be put into the display.

• 1 month later...

New Update....

As some of you have more than likely seen, i have put this tank up for Trade/Sale. I will be training for the next year, and 4 out of 5 weeks i will be living out of a suitcase in Hotels. Also my wife and i may be expecting. So, with all of this going on, i figured it may be easier for me to just find a small more self sufficient tank that would be easier to maintain while i am away. Until this happens, the build must go on!! Either way, i want a tank setup before i leave!

On with the update...

Filtration/frag/behind the scenes room is coming along...

PICT1868.jpg

PICT1870.jpg

PICT1869.jpg

As you can see red/white will be my theme during this build. All frag tanks/sumps/water holding tanks etc. Will have red vinyl on the bottom, and all my pipes will be painted red and white. (Red drains/intakes and white for returns.) Also all of my stands that will be built for my filtration/frag tanks will be painted white.

Next on to my “man cave” painted red and white....

PICT1853.jpg

PICT1855.jpg

PICT1856.jpg

Go Chiefs!!

IMG_0485.jpg

Daughter this year at her first NFL game

PICT1700.jpg

Finally on to my aquascape (1st attempt)

PICT1857.jpg

PICT1858.jpg

PICT1859.jpg

PICT1860.jpg

PICT1861.jpg

PICT1862.jpg

PICT1863.jpg

PICT1864.jpg

PICT1865.jpg

PICT1866.jpg

PICT1867.jpg

Really dissapointed to see the tank up for sale :(

Love the scape, it looks awesome! Why are you making it if you are selling the tank?

Thanks man! I am gonna keep going on with the build just incase it doesn't sell. Gotta have something set up before my training starts. I think a part of me is actually hoping i don't get it sold/traded because this is literally my dream tank (minus the rimless portion) and i want to set it up really bad. But the logical part of me wants to find something a little more reasonable. I will be in a 5 week rotation. 1 week in a hotel 3+ hours away, then 3 weeks at another location in a hotel in a location yet to be determined, then back home for 1 week. On top of that we may be expecting and the wife will not take care of the tank while i am gone. So a more simple, self maintained system will be more logical. We will see what happens and until then the build must go on!! :lol::P:D

Show of Hands....Who has nems with a CL filtration?? I will be aquiring 3 Neon Green carpets this weekend and want to see what everyone thinks about a CL system and Carpet Nems? My drains for the CL are both on the rear wall of my tank.

animalmaster6

Well why not just have the tank sitting around until you get it up? Or try to cycle some rock until you have a chance to work on the tank?

Well why not just have the tank sitting around until you get it up? Or try to cycle some rock until you have a chance to work on the tank?

I have a bunch of corals that need to get into a tank ASAP. I have thought about setting everything up and having only the frag tank on line. But I am getting too excited to get a display tank going. I am going to keeeeeeep going! Pretty sure nobody is going to buy it or offer me an acceptable trade. So this thing will probably be done in a few weeks, or the week after Christmas at the latest.

Finalized pics of the aquascape...Only thing left is some filler rock here and there...

PICT1875.jpg

PICT1876.jpg

PICT1877.jpg

PICT1878.jpg

PICT1879.jpg

PICT1880.jpg

PICT1881.jpg

PICT1882.jpg

PICT1883.jpg

PICT1884.jpg

PICT1885.jpg

PICT1886.jpg

And some progress pictures of the fish room...Sump stand is built and i shortened the frag tank to a more manageable height...

PICT1868.jpg

PICT1872.jpg

PICT1873.jpg

PICT1874.jpg

Treated myself to a new Christmas present!

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

It was either this or an iPad 64g 3g. I really want an iPad but decided to wait.

Here are some shots with the standard 18-55mm lens that it came with...

First 3 are of some my wife's purple orchids...

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

And this is a close up shot of her wedding ring...

DSC_0030.jpg

I like the aquascaping. Need more pictures!!

Thanks man! I just can't quite make it look as good in the pics as it does in person. I am really happy with the way that it came out.

Still playing with the camera and photo editing. Can't wait to get my tank/frag tank filled and start using the new camera!

Here are a couple pics edited...

DSC_0126-1.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

Almost finished plumbing the 57g frag tank. I am going to attempt to use a SCWD for each of the corner returns on this tank. Never have used one before and hope to have some decent flow out of this. Hope to add fresh water tomorrow to test it out and leak test it.

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

Plumbing is finished.....

DSC_0173.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0170-1.jpg

DSC_0169-1.jpg

DSC_0168-1.jpg

DSC_0167-1.jpg

I even went as far as plumbing the 57g frag tank with a drain for easy water change access. No more siphoning water out of the tank. Now just a quick little twist of a knob and the water is poured into a 5g bucket and dumped down the toilet. Pretty slick! :) Also i took a picture of my dehumidifier that will be located in the fish room.

DSC_0166-1.jpg

DSC_0165-1.jpg

DSC_0164-1.jpg

Archived