Top Shelf Aquatics

The_gats 40B, 2 years of reefing

the_gats

Looks good so far! Really depends on what you want. Mr. Coral has some pretty nice stuff.

Yea that's my problem. I'm not sure what I want. I want something to go on the sand in the middle just because its pretty bare. Other than that I would like some color on the rocks. Just wanted some ideas what to look for when I'm there. Thanks again.

Oh and I would like some reds, blues, or purples.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... Maybe some acan for the sound or a brain coral. The rocks - if you want something that adds a lot of color, go with some zoa. In your tank, you can also look at favia or chalices. Just remember anything with a stoney base eats up calcium (like your frogspawn). Also keep your eyes out for unique items.

Thanks I do like both the brain and acan suggestions. Never looked to much into favia or chalices might have to check those out too. I did get a calcium test kit last week so I can keep track of that.

Side note: I was looking at Coral Morphologic site(They are a sponsor). Any experiences with them? I was looking at their Nano 4 pack of ric.

IMHO:

Eh, chalices are overrated. Grow way to slow.

Zoas and mushrooms can be relatively cheap, grow pretty good, and could add color to your rocks. Some people don't like mushrooms though.

I personally don't think frags of acans chilling in the sand looks that great, but that's my own opinion. If it were me maybe a brain, or possibly bubble coral. I had a bubble coral in my 10g and I loved it. Very plump, good green color, motion, and undemanding. I also fed it and it grew very fast. A long tentacle torch coral would be pretty sweet too.

Depending on your lights (sorry didn't go through your thread to look) you might be able to do a plating montipora.

My opinion really biased this, so try to find pictures of tanks you like and determine why you like them. Also, something to consider is movement. I like movement and so as I have more resources, I'll add more flowing lps to my tank (torch, frogspawn, yellow leather, green nepthea (sp?), hammer coral, maybe a photosynthetic gorgonian.

Like latteslave said, keep your eyes open for things that are unique. Especially if they will grow fairly quick and can be fragged or split. That opens the door for some great trading.

Thanks Midna. I appreciate the help. Bubbles are really cool.

Thanks Latte. Still getting a hang of all the diff threads and didn't think about the fact they would have a sponsor thread. Check in there and saw nothing but good things in the ~10 I read through.

This is the contents of the Ric pack. So I may get on that in a few weeks. $35 doesn't seem to bad to me, but we shall see.

1 Neon Green polyp

1 Orange/Pink polyp

1 Blue/Aqua/Lavender polyp

1 Green/Blue and Orange Rainbow polyp

tundrashaul

I made an account and cart with coral morphologic 3 days ago and have been trying to fight finishing the order ALL week. I have heard great thing about them and it helps they are on East coast.

Question for the pros:

I don't like the rock that my zoas are on. It's on a small rock and they are wrapping around it. How would I go about removing them from the rock its on now and put it on one of my other rocks in the tank? TIA.

I recently started running a cheapo HOB filter because of the dust storms created by the pistols and decided today to pick up some poly-fil to shove in the filter. Tank is looking much clearer now and I don't have to clean or buy new filters. Also while at wal-mart I found this cheap 3 LED stick on light for like $5 that I decided to grab just to use for night viewing. I like the look and the price but think I might go pick another one up for other half of tank. Pic is darker than in real life.

post-53230-1280028545_thumb.jpg

Has anyone had problem with tabs breaking off of their koralia evos. I took it out today to clean and when I unhooked front half the little tab broke. I super glued it back on, but its just not as sturdy. Can you buy new a new cover? Other than that all corals and fish are doing great.

Well just got back from Mr. Coral shop. Very nice shop lots lots to choose from. I may or may not have bought a few too many frags, but for $10 a piece I had a hard time not buying them. Will get pics in next couple a days once I get the settled in.

tundrashaul

10$ frags almost makes it seem worth the drive up. but then I think bout DC traffic, I wired some things in fredricksburg and DCs traffic on 95 starts there!!!

10$ frags almost makes it seem worth the drive up. but then I think bout DC traffic, I wired some things in fredricksburg and DCs traffic on 95 starts there!!!

You could skip 95 I just don't know how long it would take for you to get up there. I go straight up 15.

Hey man what a great tank. I wish my 2 long was like this when I hadit going! What do you think about that light I was given a good offer on one and was thinking of getting it for a future frag tank?

Alright Pics of the frags from today. Got 2 more but they have'nt completely opened yet.

DSCN0492.jpg

DSCN0486.jpg

DSCN0485.jpg

DSCN0484.jpg

DSCN0483.jpg

I love the Blue and purple in this mushroom.

DSCN0482.jpg

Let me know what you think.

not bad for $10 a piece I think. Or maybe i just picked stupid stuff, but I like it. And Mr. Corals was great. Tons and tons of frags.

Hey man what a great tank. I wish my 2 long was like this when I hadit going! What do you think about that light I was given a good offer on one and was thinking of getting it for a future frag tank?

Thanks. I like the light and the price. I think for most LPS and softies the light works great. I don't really know if I could do any more than that, but for me it works.

Ahh that stinks. It may be worth the trip up there and just plan to buy several frags to make it worth the time. Or maybe I can grow some out and you can grow yours and do a little trading. Haha.

I still haven't decided where I am going to place everything.

So i think i am going to put new frags in their spot today, but was wandering what is best way to attach the small rubble they are attach to to the rock in the tank. Thanks.

tundrashaul

I tried Super glue gel when i put the birdsnest up, but it didnt last. When i floated the bags for the clowns it knocked right off. It wasnt a flat surface though, I have read to put a glob and make sure you twist when you stick it. as soon as water touches the glue it will form a crust layer so twisting breaks that, so it will attach.

Alright so I failed at that today. Got more glue on my fingers than I did frags to the rocks. I don't think the glue I had was thick enough. Will try later.

On another note found a lot of aiptasia on the stems of the palm tree frag I got. Do I attack the aipastia or just get rid of the coral.

tundrashaul

I use the loctite. The LFS sell stuff called coral-afflix, but I dont see a need. I think stevieT on here has a thread on how to attach them to scape, He just put glue on base of plug then sticks a ball of epoxy to the pulg, glues the epoxy on the bottom and sticks. The you can kind of mold the epoxy around the gaps if you can stand to see the stuff in the tank. Im nit sure which epoxys are safe so i skipped this part,

Archived