Top Shelf Aquatics

The_gats 40B, 2 years of reefing

the_gats

Put some macro alge and inverts in the sump. Right now I have a mangrove with some cheato and LR in mine with some snails and blue legs.

Check out Rehype's fuge, hes got it laid out nice with sexies, harleys, and a bongo shrimp.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really beautiful tank so far! I shall be lurking this one! :)

Thanks glad to have you along for the ride. I can't promise but I hope its a smooth one.

Looking good so far, looking forward to seeing this one mature.

Thanks for the kind words.

Put some macro alge and inverts in the sump. Right now I have a mangrove with some cheato and LR in mine with some snails and blue legs.

Check out Rehype's fuge, hes got it laid out nice with sexies, harleys, and a bongo shrimp.

Rehypes fuge is very nice. Below is a pic of the fuge currently. The LFS Chaeto was slim so I got a chunk of caulerpa and 4 mangroves. I also got the rock broken down some. Now to figure out what inverts I want with it. If my fuge section was bigger I think I would put the frog fish my LFS has had for a while. It is awesome.

So not real happy right now. I have noticed about 6 aiptasia in my fuge since I added the caulerpa yesterday. After looking at the caulerpa deeper i have found at least 4/5 more. Should I just throw it out? Is it possibly for them to pass through my filter floss and find their way into my display? Should I just pick up a peppermint shrimp and keep that as my first fuge invert?

So I have had several updates on the tank. First the bad news, my green clown goby just randomly died the other day. It was looking fine then all of the sudden it was lying dead on the sand. I really liked the little guy even if he wasnt the most active fish. Next I picked up a beautiful coral beauty last week. I know ill have to watch her (my wife name it Roxanne) but so far so good. She is a real deep purple and I cant seem to get a good pic. hopefully one she comes out more I will get a good picture. Lastly, I picked up a forest fire digi, blue digi, blue tort, and two other small frags I dont remember the names of tonight from a local. I will try to get some pics once everything gets settle in.

And a few fun pics to please the eyes.

YWG and pistols

3e9a101c.jpg

Fighting crabs. They have a whole 40b and they decided to fight over a few inches.

39f8a531.jpg

tundrashaul

Cool pics. Gats! The crab one is awesome, the little guy on the right doesn't seem to want to get involved.

Yea the little one is already less one claw. So I got my new frags today from a friend. I got a small red planet frag, and ~4 inch piece of staghorn, a small green cap, a small purple cap and a really nice frag (~5 inches with several branches) of something but I forget the name. Once I get them placed I will get some pics.

tundrashaul
Yea the little one is already less one claw. So I got my new frags today from a friend. I got a small red planet frag, and ~4 inch piece of staghorn, a small green cap, a small purple cap and a really nice frag (~5 inches with several branches) of something but I forget the name. Once I get them placed I will get some pics.

PICS? Those frags sound awesome!!!

Woohoo man! I grew up in Montclair. Tank is looking sick! And so is the sump!

Nice thats right down the road. Thanks I am ready to get the tank filled in and the macros in the sump.

PICS? Those frags sound awesome!!!

Well fine here you go.

First time I was able to get good shots of the clowns together.

76f5490e.jpg

ca7ea296.jpg

Here are the frags.

d1729c51.jpg

03aab6ef.jpg

45a847e1.jpg

c72b2cf8.jpg

Clown got in the way of the staghorn.

ebddd144.jpg

Couple of the sump/Fuge

31a49b44.jpg

0387196b.jpg

Picked up a pep shrimp today for the fuge. And I still can get a good pic of the coral beauty.

Looking good gats....i really like how you have the fuge laid out. Are you going to bury those mangrove roots?

Thanks man. I am not sure I thought about leaving them like that and letting them grow over the rocks and bury themselves. Do you think I should bury them?

Maybe Ill have to do that or bury part of them, because I do like looks of the exposed root system. My next will be some sexies and some macros. Any suggestions on some macros?

Any suggestions on some macros?

Sure..halimeda,codium,gracilaria,turtle grass,neomeris,ochtodes,sargassum,caulerpa prolifera to suggest a few..

tundrashaul

Looking great Gats. I would leave the roots to meet the sandbed themselves, The roots are the coolest part! Your'e getting a nice SPS collection together now.

Looking great Gats. I would leave the roots to meet the sandbed themselves, The roots are the coolest part! Your'e getting a nice SPS collection together now.

Thanks man. I do enjoy the roots so I compromised. I buried a few of them and left the rest out to do their thing. I'm loving the SPS, but I realized I am already having a hard time figuring out where to place them.

Took a few pics while waiting for COD maps do download.

a4989fcb.jpg

78813039.jpg

1af8592b.jpg

I picked up this small frag of zoas today for $10.

7e5c54f7.jpg

Only other thing is I don't know why but my frogspawn has not opened up very much. I don't know if it doesn't like the flow or what, but it makes me sad because it got so big.

Well got a few updates. Lost my coral beauty already. It went in about 2 days and I think it was some kind of internal bacterial infection or parasite because its stomach bulged out the day it died.

I have also been fighting cyano, which I think had a lot to do with the lack of flow in my tank and a little to much nutrients. Cut down the feeding and finally got my MP10wES from Big Al's for $238 shipped. Ordered it on Sunday and arrived today. Still playing around with the modes but corals already seem to be happier about the more random flow.

That pretty much sums everything up for now.

After just one day with this thing I am already thinking that I will be purchasing another for the opposite side of the tank.

Any suggestions on which mode to use? Right now I have it set for Short Pulse giving me a small wave. I played with it last night and determined I can get either 1 wavelength or 1/2 a wavelength. Any clues on which is the better frequency or does it really make a difference?

tundrashaul
After just one day with this thing I am already thinking that I will be purchasing another for the opposite side of the tank.

Any suggestions on which mode to use? Right now I have it set for Short Pulse giving me a small wave. I played with it last night and determined I can get either 1 wavelength or 1/2 a wavelength. Any clues on which is the better frequency or does it really make a difference?

I usually switch back and forth from reef crest to lagoon mode, (yellow eye on the knob). With two I'd might try the tidal surge mode with them being wireless...great purchase and sorry about the beauty.

Archived