Pod Your Reef

Experimental Macroalgae Troubleshooting Thread

johnmaloney

So most of the sponges you find are non photo john? Is it like the orange encrusting you found or is it like finger ones and that type?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnmaloney
So most of the sponges you find are non photo john? Is it like the orange encrusting you found or is it like finger ones and that type?

no idea to be honest. there are virtually no id guides for the non commercial sponges.

I have the 5.5 with no Coralline yet...I do have some small pieces of Carribean cured live rock in there tho :unsure:

I have a really pretty light purple sponge that has grown quite a bit! I feed the tank live Phyto for the sponges and gorgs :)

Yay Lani!! Izza about time u showed up :P

Yay Lani!! Izza about time u showed up :P

John, I think I'm losing the Sciania in the Pico. :(

The color is still good on it, but it looks like the stalks are breaking up all over.

johnmaloney

how high is the flow? Maybe more? Can you shake off the break up, or is it too widespread? Cutting opportunity to see if that works? Anything change in the tank? (temperature wise?) Night or day when it went downhill last? Tired of all these questions? :)

how high is the flow? Maybe more? Can you shake off the break up, or is it too widespread? Cutting opportunity to see if that works? Anything change in the tank? (temperature wise?) Night or day when it went downhill last? Tired of all these questions? :)

I would say flow is Med Hi in the area the Sciania is at.

I haven't tried handling it yet, I'm just seeing breaks all over the stalks.

No changes in tank that I can think of, temps have been stable as has light.

I added a few frags on Sat, but they were small additions. 1 mushroom, 2 Zoa frags, 1 Blasto Merletti frag, 1 very small encrusting Goniopora frag.

johnmaloney

the colors of sponges out there are amazing...no problem finding a dark blue, a light blue sponge etc...Finding one suitable for captivity...there is the trick. The calcified sponges, ( I think glassy sponges are also calcified, the encrusting calcifieds definitely are :) ), grow slow so it is hard to tell. That is why I like some of the uglier sponges or even that white sponge I have been growing and feeding the angels for a pretty long time...they grow, so you know they are living.

It says filter feeder...do photosynthetic sponges still need to filter feed?

the colors of sponges out there are amazing...no problem finding a dark blue, a light blue sponge etc...Finding one suitable for captivity...there is the trick. The calcified sponges, ( I think glassy sponges are also clasified, the encrusting calcifieds definitely are :) ), grow slow so it is hard to tell. That is why I like some of the uglier sponges or even that white sponge I have been growing and feeding the angels for a pretty long time...they grow, so you know they are living.

It says filter feeder...do photosynthetic sponges still need to filter feed?

Ahh. So it is just hard to tell for some of them then?

So there aren't any fast growing sponges that are attractive looking haha?

johnmaloney

only one way to find out I guess. Good thing sponges can be sampled I figure. I have tried some before and failed though, and some have had success so I have something to start with. There is one that is sort of a fast grower, but not fast enough to be a food source or to frag around a million times...they come small too, that isn't one I sampled. Sbcaes has it, I can try to find some more. It isn't that it is hard, it is I just I have to remember to look for it. Anyway, got to run, be back after the shipment, in the mean time google around for "florida photosynthetic sponge" etc.. Try to get species/genus names if you can.

johnmaloney

Well that helps to know, low lighting shaded right? what temp do you keep your tank at again? sorry, I couldn't find it.

lalani - i tried the halymenia elongata and the sciania this time in water as suggested, let me know. Shipped the Nemastoma "dry" since it is doing pretty well all around. There are some small byrozoans on the H. elongata, won't hurt anything, I was afraid to harm the algae removing them.

the sponge and coralline are both shipped with no air, only water. I am not sure if this coralline dies off with air contact, but I know some do and I didn't want to chance it and it die a few days later.

Woo! I'll make sure to take pictures of everything as I unpack them, once they're in the water, and after they have settled in. :D

Any special requirements for the things you're sending? I know that one of the red algae pieces I got from Maria, the spotted one, was fading in the strong lighting in my tank (and same applies to some of the corals in the tank so I need to raise the fixture soon) and I had to tuck it into a shady spot where it's doing wonderfully.

johnmaloney

Nemastoma apparently is fine with everything, yours comes with a holdfast too. Shade the rest of the globular reds. Moderate to high flow on all - turbulent or wavemaker.

no need for all those, just shoot a few after you get them settled. I had the sponge in moderate flow in a mud tank because weetie had me thinking about it, and it seems like a mud bottom even if it isn't natural to this sponge might be better because more food? I don't know...it looked more today than yesterday for what it is worth...but still way to early to tell with sponges how they will do in the long run.

High light on the coralline, it can shed to remove nuisance algae, I bet high/moderate flow helps it shed, kind of like how it is with gorgs.

-wetwebmedia says that photodynthetic sponges are likely to be brown. Barrel Sponges may be photosynthetic from a different article, but they don't come right out and say it...NOAA article too....Might be laws on barrel sponges though, even small samples...

excited... :D

Wait, you getting more???

John, not sure if you're earlier questions were for me.

Tank temp is 77 deg right now although it does get up to 78. I believe temps stay pretty stable in there though.

Sciania is sitting 11" below 18w of PC lighting, no shading.

In other news, the Nemastoma looks as if it's color is getting to be a little deeper pinkish-red. YAY!!!

Mine was breaking apart and such too weetie but it was the white tip to middle part that went first. So far I have the bottom half holding in, we'll see how that goes.

John lemme know when u got some schtuffs for my 5.5g... I will try and come by for a visit :ninja:

I am wondering if I should add a Koralia nano....

I really hope that someone can keep the Sciania :(

omgomgomgGO USA!!!!!!! omgomgomg

hey jacobnano - this might be up your alley:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6785/9/4

Go USA!

Nice. I have some reading to do! It seems those are in AU though? What about ones in Florida ;)?

-wetwebmedia says that photodynthetic sponges are likely to be brown. Barrel Sponges may be photosynthetic from a different article, but they don't come right out and say it...NOAA article too....Might be laws on barrel sponges though, even small samples...

Hmmmm. A barrel sponge would be neat. I wonder why they skirt their way around the idea of them being photosynthetic? Weird.

I think I started something with, GO USA!!!!!!!

johnmaloney

Oh sorry, I thought that was the link to photosynthetic sponges off of washington state. Where did I put that link...hmm...

anyway another article that mentions some sponges are photosynthetic, and they are only talking about barrel sponges in general, but they just dont flat out say "such and such species is photosynthetic"

http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/xmuta.html

the search continues I guess....barrel sponges are huge anyway, but for curiosity purposes...

Archived