inTank Media Baskets

Experimental Macroalgae Troubleshooting Thread

johnmaloney

Well the sebdenia is looking clear so I dunno if it will make it :( I put it in a soap dish

The Titanophora Encrustans has no pink on it anymore :unsure:

and the Sciania looks a little more yellowish...I would take pix but the camera batteries are dead...I will take pix tomorrow :P

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
johnmaloney
I should be home by 7pm after the daylights go out, but actinics are still on till 8pm...I will give an update...I kinda have them in the middle of the tank where the middle brace of the tank is at...shadiest part of the tank....I also use glass tops.

I wanna stop by Target and p/u a soap dish to put the Sebdenia in...how should I attach this John?

lol we need to chip in and buy u a underwater camera so you can take pix of the macros how you find them :P

I am sure one flipper, camera in one hand and pulling macros with the other hand in the current would be fun :lol: pix would be a blurr omgomgomg

I would try to tie it down, just because it is more delicate. I did take pics once of diving, people wanted to know why it didn't look like the discovery channel.... well to heck with them then, I go with no camera. :) They all come out crappy anyway.

CHeck the titanophora for soft spots, the color is going to change often. It is patchy and variable even at its best

yes, please do sbcaes!!!

PLEASE!

I think I might be losing the H. Elongata. :(

The tips are breaking off.

Parts of the body lower down are still firm.

Would it have a chance if I just broke off all the soft stuff?

johnmaloney

i am kind of curious about the cutting idea weetie...hmm..if you go for it, I can get you some later...learning experience at the very least

This whole thing certainly has air of the experimental about it, doesn't it?

John, I'm wondering if the globular Macros would ship better if shipped with just a small amount of water.

Nothing major, just a little bit, like maybe a cup of water with small and medium portions.

Because of their "thick" internal structure, I'm wondering if some of their cells might be collapsing in on each other when not shipped in some water.

They're just not constructed like other Macros and it might make a difference.

What do you think?

johnmaloney

they dont last long in stagnant water, so i wasnt going to try it with shipping. hardy macros do okay with water and shipping, otherwise the ph causes issues for delicate algae. hold off on the cutting for now and let it go. I think it would cause a problem. I have some others that are growing it pretty well and I have some here too so I can find some later i bet if it just melts away. shame it looked so good earlier... :(

Too late, I already took a razor and cut down to where the tissue was still firm.

Here's what I have left (keep in mind the pic is taken under normal kitchen lighting):

IMG_5624.jpg

Why did you say you thought the cutting might cause problems?

If another globular like Nemastoma can heal from a tear in it's flesh, why would this one not be able to heal from being cut?

In other news, the Nemastoma seems to be holding it's own so far, didn't see any degradation today.

johnmaloney

oh okay the pic finally loaded...

i wasnt thinking you were going to prune it, that doesn't look to bad i guess except it is pretty badly dimpled throughout. I figured if it looked fine in the morning pic and went south by the later picture the shading would help. Cutting would add stress, but looks like you did a good job, so I edited that out. See how it does in the shade.

here let me see if i can get the texture in a picture here...

well anyway, it should look like the earlier picture you had. some dimples out of water near the joints, but not throughout. That looks pretty bad, do all the dimples (besides the joints/forks) leave in the water?

johnmaloney

oh really, that looks pretty bad then, sorry to hear it weetie, i will take care of this shipment. maybe next time it will work better, i feel bad about it.

okay side3-1.jpg

these two did REALLLY well. in my tank. (the one in the back is the same as weeties that doesnt look so good)

(they do NOT like high light. AT ALL.)

the sciana on the other hand did okay.... but unfortunately it got covered in a bit of hair algae. and i have a few thick roots where i placed it .... but... this one seems to do ok in high light compared to the others. minus hair algae smothering it a bit.

side2-1.jpg

and these two. just didnt do so well..

i believe the red stringy type halymenia is the elongata variety.

it did well for a few days. but... it just didnt take. was very hard to place and let grow as well. not entirely sure as to its care. in its position it was getting rather intense light though.

grape caulerpa is also a VORACIOUS grower. and has spit out TONS of runners. in the last two wks.

something that needs to be pruned. almost daily.\

i also keep these under leds. and growth has been good. i did notice a huge spike in hair algae after the h.elongata died though. which then made everything else explode. some ina good way some ina bad. (great growth and hair algae)

here are the morning pix

I think this is def toast :/

P1010014.jpg

The one u told me to chuck...both pieces look the same and still firm to the touch

P1010012.jpg

P1010007.jpg

and this one I think is doing ok

P1010001-2.jpg

P1010016.jpg

watcha think...I think next time I will just pick up at your establishment :P this Florida sun is a killah even with overnight shipping...I think I got my box around 3PM...they may have had a better chance if delivered by the morning me thinx.

I am leaving only the actinics on today and see if they respond

Maria, I was thinking the same thing about your delivery later in the day and Fl. temps causing problems with your Macros.

I was lucky and got my delivery around 10 a.m.

John, I suspect you're right that I'll lose the H. Elongata, but I hated to not try anything.

I just checked and it feels almost the same as it did last night after cutting it, the flesh still feels pretty firm all over with just a couple of the ends feeling a little mushy.

I will check it frequently.

Wish I had known that it disliked light THAT much, but what can you do, this is how we learn.

This is my Nemastoma now:

IMG_5629.jpg

This is my T. Encrustans now:

IMG_5627.jpg

Sbcaes, thanks very much for the pics and info. :)

johnmaloney

That sucks guys, seems like this was a bad idea. Oh well, i will keep trying and when I learn more about what might have caused you guys trouble except the lighting. I should have made it clearer that when I meant low lighting, I meant LOW. :) They showed up looking worse for ninjabum, but his are all alive..shaded them though. I think that was a contributing factor since both cases above they looked better after a night then after the day. Anyway, I am going to send refunds out for the shipping, except for you sbcaes b/c you got other stuff too and your shipping costs me more than the $40 Express Mail usually runs. :) If you end up with a setup with less lighting got2envy let me know and we can try it again, I don't mind risking the shipping cost locally. Otherwise lets just skip this for now, nemastoma looks fine, but if you think it won't make it just toss it out. Same with the titanophora encrustans, don't chance it making a mess, just remove it.

John, don't give up on this!

We're learning, and I for one am willing to keep trying.

Unless it's really just too much headache for you, which I could understand.

Do my Nemastoma and T. Encrustans look bad to you?

johnmaloney

color isnt very helpful with the t. encrustans, see if it is getting soft, that is how you can tell there. the nemastoma looks fine to me, i think i was typing that as you posted.

Just to let everyone who is following this know, this was a special deal that John did for those who were interested in some of the Rarer Macros.

He let me know up front that they were delicate shippers and that some might not make it, and I went into this knowing that.

The price he was charging was waaaay more than reasonable and the possible payoff made it very much worth the risk.

Our asking questions about the Macros that are not doing as well may skew the perspective a little for those who read this, but you don't tend to ask questions about things that you know are doing fine.

The Sciania I got as well as the Stypoodium Zonale (which is beautiful!) seem to be doing just fine, and the Nemastoma may make it as well.

This is an experimental thing, John was taking a chance and we were taking a chance.

We're just trying to learn what is needed to be able to get these rarer Macros out there for everyone, and I think John should be commended for his efforts in this.

i personally think everytime i order im taking a risk being probably. geographically speaking on the other side of the country. lol., but every time its always worth it =) i'd acutally want to try again. =)

John, don't give up on this!

We're learning, and I for one am willing to keep trying.

Unless it's really just too much headache for you, which I could understand.

Me too John! please don't give up :(

I totally understand that there will be losses, but we can try different shipping methods as well as see if that makes a difference with these macros :) as well as lower light.

I have no problems with you keeping the shipping $$ for trying.

johnmaloney

there are a few tanks now with it that seems to be stable, but it has only been 2-3 weeks..not even sure. I still have mine, minus the sciania and halymenia e. the french angel ate. I try all algae on them, big fan of french angels...anyway I will make a thread in that support forum i have one day and let you all know and we can check new macros there. I wanted to look into some of the more varied coralline than even these guys. Remember the golden turbo? that coralline bleaches too in high lighting unfortunately and went white on the guy a week later. Makes me think t12s might be the way to go with some macro tanks. ....anyway I will get plenty of rambling room there. Will update then

Archived