Pod Your Reef

Experimental Macroalgae Troubleshooting Thread

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

pink galaxy is a name we came up with. it isn't an actual common name. We did that for most of our macros, cactus caulerpa for example etc...was easier because Latin is etc...

i would get the pink galaxy with express, - edit i have one left

Hey John,

Do you think you will have some of these for my fuge and display tank?

oh sure, i could track some down.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John,

Galaxy express mail only? if I were to get the Quick Crew $15 do I do need to pay for the full express mail on the galaxy or just the price difference in shipping?

there are only two kinds of people in this world huh? :) There is still one avail.

I looked and didn't see it listed...lemme know I will put a rder in if it's still available :)

If not I will wait till your next find :P

johnmaloney

they are, I thought they had disappeared for awhile but then they were just a few yards in the other direction... :) Such is life...

this guy is cool too:

microdecorator.JPG

(Adult microdecorator, they come smaller than that too)

I tried taking shot down pics of him but he kept moving so I swirled the cup a little and he stayed still enough to photograph for this shot. But it didn't last long. Here he is again with some algae:

hidingdecorator.JPG

^^ he is pretty much in full view. You can see the whole carapace at least. Sort of... :)

johnmaloney

if they could find him! :) (He is just right of center in that pic)

i have most of the other 4 pictures I owe you am. Just have some sizing after the shipment..transfer from camera..

They are awesome. I have 4 of them from John in a 20 long. Hadn't seen them since I put them in about 2 months ago. Starting to see them more now. I figured out where they were hanging out.

Don't know about the macro issue. I don't have any in that tank. They are primarily filter feeders. They use the fine hairs on their claws constantly waving them in the current.

johnmaloney

i think that is the micro porcelains, these guys are different. They eat algae, these guys are too small to eat larger algae, hypnea is about as thick as they can handle. Would eat GHA, primarily a scavenger though. Similar to an adult blue leg hermit in diet, sans the escargot.

they will wear sponges, and sometimes small soft corals, but it is pretty unlikely. Sponges or blending in with algae is there way.

thanks! hope it goes well, you should have a jungle in there. :)

ITS A JUNGLE :haha:

EDIT: By the way I don't see the Codium (Short) macro...

rcmacrospage.jpg

1.Red Gracilaria

2. Flame algae Bryothamnion triquetrum

3. Mermaid's Fan

4. Pencil Cap

5. Red Gracilaria from the 1 penny macro

6. Galaxy

7. Laurencia <-- this macro is great I like it more and more

8.Mermaid's Shot Glass (picture of the oyster shell)

9, Dictyota ciliolata

johnmaloney

are you sure 8 is something? Doesn't look like shot glass. 7 is laurencia. anyway send me an email nad I will fix it. sorry!

yeah #8 is a large sea shell/oyster shell so I'm guessing its the Mermaid's Shot Glass but I do not see anything on it. It has some fuzzy brownish algae on it but nothing else at the moment.

So #2 is the flame algae Bryothamnion triquetrum.

whats #5? is it the same as #1 Red Gracilaria?

Archived