Cultivated Reef

Experimental Macroalgae Troubleshooting Thread

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

yeah, it is likely your penny algae. 3 is beat up too...I have to head to the Keys...they got nice fans there. Well lets set something up, just send me an email and we will work out. Sorry for the trouble!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

most of the macros you sent me look sweet, I think there were two that look iffy, but I think they can pull thru. I'll get some pics tomorrow. I was so busy today -_-

so sbcaes let us know when you can how that pink coralline went

its lookin good buddy.

but im now running a 250 mh on top of the tank. O_O" might be a bit overkill till i can figure out whats going on with my led hood.....

johnmaloney

these shipments are cursed I think. some horrible thing happens to someone's tank the week or day before the pack shows up. LEDs on fire, toxic fish, weeties decision to redo an awesome coral tank, the sand thing with markusha... such is the price to pay for awesome macros! Lot of bad luck in this thread, but if anything I think we have learned so far that Stypodium zonale is pretty cool.

So.. I got some good and bad news. Bad news is a thief got my fishing license so there won't be anything new this week at least until I get a new copy in. The good news is I will probably go look around one of these days and see what I can find in different areas I am not used to going.

Also in good news, I have pictures like I promised, but they are really random:

here is some rock:

reefrock.JPG

reefrock2.JPG

Here is a powerhead/filter combo I use sometimes. Makes the particular drain in one area less so nothing gets pulled in, lots of surface area for nitrification, and it doesn't trap detritus really. Fun stuff:

filter.JPG

And the detail of a really nice specimen of a ribbon gorg:

ribbongorg.JPG

johnmaloney

these shipments are cursed I think. some horrible thing happens to someone's tank the week or day before the pack shows up. LEDs on fire, toxic fish, weeties decision to redo an awesome coral tank, the sand thing with markusha... such is the price to pay for awesome macros! Lot of bad luck in this thread, but if anything I think we have learned so far that Stypodium zonale is pretty cool.

So.. I got some good and bad news. Bad news is a thief got my fishing license so there won't be anything new this week at least until I get a new copy in. The good news is I will probably go look around one of these days and see what I can find in different areas I am not use to going.

Also in good news, I have the pictures I promised:

here is some rock:

reefrock.JPG

reefrock2.JPG

Here is a powerhead/filter combo I use sometimes. Makes the particular drain in one area less so nothing gets pulled in, lots of surface area for nitrification, and it doesn't trap detritus really. Fun stuff:

filter.JPG

And the detail of a really nice specimen of a ribbon gorg:

ribbongorg.JPG

I love Stypodium Zonale.

It looks so cool I wouldn't mind having a tank where that Macro was the focus and everything else was supplemental.

It's The Shiz. :P

johnmaloney

i think it would be the first time someone did that with something brown in the hobby. it looks cool with the red and green around it though and it has a cool texture. It gets big enough, I have seen it much larger than what you have now so it could work. Let me get you the technical details on the plant...

max size:

36 cm tall (I have seen taller, probably 22 inches max)

15cm wide

There is a fan shaped variation too it seems, you have what they describe as the "strap-like" variation I think. They don't go into much detail.

Considered "uncommon" as almost all the macros in the hobby that aren't a caulerpa/chaeto/gracilaria/ulva/halimeda are in the tax books.

Dawes/Mathieson notes that different aggregations of this species "vary in the amount of atomaric acid and stypodolione compounds [that deter herbivory]..."

edit - lots of editing done. was a long night by the time i had originally got to this so give me a break. Probably still 30 typos :)

Fishfreak218

Found this today at the beach, of course I grabbed it and bottled it :D

Anyone familiar with it or know what species it is?

24maj6e.jpg

well that is a shame. i tried it again with 6 different packages today, so lets see how that does. shyla has one going Priority. After seeing its hardiness in the tank I was thinking Prioirty would be fine, but it does have the fleshy texture like a halymenia..well we will see.

I'll be sure to let ya know how it comes in. I believe Halymenia was sent to me from Mark as a member of the box that took 6 days to get here and that survived. So if this other one is anything like that I am sure it will make it 2 day lol.

I don't know. you sent me a few that were like a red sheet of macro, and almost all of them ended up wasting away. there is one that is still alive, but its no longer the large sheet it was. I dont think its anything wrong with the tank or light because other macros and algaes (halymenia, weeties red spotted, hair algae etc.) that weren't shipped are all doing fine.

I'll be taking some more pics soon, and i'll post them up.

oh okay...well at least I tried to hook it up it seems. :) I remember now, with the pimple halymenia. I still have some if anyone else wants to try, I should have sent some, today (did I? got2envy...? to be honest I forget...) But we can keep trying it, it seems to do okay and it is large. I can't say I have any growth, but it is large to begin with. I have it for urchin food at the moment, they enjoy it as does the giant marine hermit. You would think I starve him they way he goes after it. :)

I will let ya know...it's on it's way B)

ok so looking at my balloon animal macro this morning and there are pods all over it..I assume they are eating it <_<

I need a fish that eats pods as they are runnning rampid in my tank, my filefish used to handle the job well...I will see if they have a fishy today...I took it out and put it in my 125g sump before I have none left.

How is yours doing John?

see! i knew it wasn't just me...in a macro tank with lots of things going on those guys can be trouble, they can get into plague proportions and wipe things out. wrasses to the rescue..or smaller sea horses. Certain shrimp, or even a pipefish...those are cool in macro tanks.

I have managed to keep the piece you sent me pod free so far, when it grows I can send some back if you lose this piece. the bubbles and the globulars are definitely at higher risk when it comes to pods. Once you see them on the inside I think it is all over for at least that portion of the piece.

Archived