Cultivated Reef

Experimental Macroalgae Troubleshooting Thread

johnmaloney

Thanks! Summer is awesome here... I am mobbed today, but if you shoot me your zip again I can find a next day hold for pickup spot near you.

By the way what is up with today? I should sleep more often. I just woke up to find we had our busiest day in sales ever. 50% more already than last black Friday. Thanks everyone! Maybe I will get to do this job for longer, with more tanks too... :)

Thanks John! That would be awesome!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You see manatee a lot at dawn, but I usually see them from above, or 50 feet over there etc... but today one swam by about 15 feet away from me while I was floating around in pretty clear water. I don't really bump into them that close very often, it was funny we had talked about it.

Found a large spot of that montipora looking coralline algae. Still working on ID. Will collect some later on, I didn't have any collection equipment.

I got an id. on the "inshore liagora" - it is Liagora dendroidea.

I want a manatee!

And, more pictures :P

johnmaloney

i will get you some pics of something this week. i promise 5 pics by the end of the week. That is pretty big for me.

johnmaloney

want to see some micro inverts? I have been collecting a few here and there. Ever see a decorator crab the size of an amphipod?

Deleted User 6
how do you guys feel about irredescent dictyota? It is potentially a nightmare....but it can also look cool.

I found the irredescent stuff was cool and manageable. my problem was with the regular brown sp. of dictyota that grew like a disgusting weed.

john, what kind of grasses you got now?

johnmaloney

i am trying to find that little guy...he is in there put he is pretty adept at hiding.

shoal and the usual suspects dhaut.

johnmaloney

am - the usual suspects? we come across oar grass, and manatee grass

dhaut - well if you all want to try it is easy enough to find.

johnmaloney

same genus as the other guy, (pelia something), will get that species name later. I have to dry off first and put the PINK GALAXY MACROS back in the tank. :) Yeah I got you one Sbcaes.

johnmaloney

variegated feather dusters. there used to be literally 100,000s near my house...freeze got most of them. I can still find some every now and then, but it wasn't like before...

Very hardy critters otherwise, I still have some or their offspring from years ago..tank has been moved, rock with them in it etc.. same ones you see in that picture actually.

animalmaster6
variegated feather dusters. there used to be literally 100,000s near my house...freeze got most of them. I can still find some every now and then, but it wasn't like before...

Very hardy critters otherwise, I still have some or their offspring from years ago..tank has been moved, rock with them in it etc.. same ones you see in that picture actually.

Hey John,

Do you think you will have some of these for my fuge and display tank?

johnmaloney

who doesn't though right? It is this one markusha:

2e10ff554222b698ff4c3c73a99a9000.jpg

(If you want to see this algae looking its best, Seahorsedreams of this forum took amazing pictures of alot of our stuff, that ^^ included. )

Current specimens are a little more red. They were almost out of reach too...deeper than I used to collect them. To be honest I know they are in the same genius, they looks almost the same but I am not 100% they are the same species. I still have to check everything out, it is all temp acclimating at the moment.

here is the thing about the pink galaxy - i dont have many, and i have owed some people for awhile. so this is a heads up that is on the site. It isn't particularly cheap, but it will sell it out by the end of today. I would prefer it to ship on Wed., but it should be fine for Mon. if that works for you, or I can hold it for later etc..

Archived