inTank Media Baskets

bonese's 40b | revival

bonese

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha.

I'm nervous of adding any sort of real life to this as I'm unsure I have enough algae to feed them. I don't have a heavy diatom bloom by any means I do have a long hair algae outbreak it seems but even that is not bad. Should I be waiting for my nitrates to be reading 10 or so or did I get lucky and have a simple cycle.

I just don't want to rush this and have it kicking me in my ass later.

Adding one or two cerith to feed on the diatoms is reasonable addition. they will basically replace the food you have been adding by being a continues source of ammonia to feed the bacterial population. this will again allow the population to grow, allowing for the introduction of more live, aka snails. its just building the cycle slowly step by step is all, your numbers are the way they are due to having started with dry rock. its a good thing. my first cycle took months to read 0 ammonia. the important thing is that the ammonia readings have droprd that is what tells you that the population is ready to be increased by the addition of more livestock.

I just ran an ammonia test, the reading is: .025 so thats good news.

I'm nervous about this LHA(?) I think I'm hoping its Long hair algae but in realty it may be bryprosis. I don't know how that would be though as there has been none introduced to the system.

I'll be ordering from John over at reefcleaners for everything. I think 2 ceriths and 5 mangroves to start us or don't get the mangroves. I can't justify ordering just 2 snails.

starting to build the fuge sounds good. algae does not sound like a problem it just takes a while to burn though. once you can get the rock to color up with some good coralline algae. it will be much easier to maintain the tank algae free. at the moment it just the first thing to have shown up & take advantage.

describe the long term goals for the fuge, maybe you might as well order now to safe on shipping.

oh & just because you can never have to many pics.

34gFulltankshotwithstand.jpg

090624FTS.jpg

gracillaria.jpg

nemastoma.jpg

there are a ton of options. so the ? is what do you want. what do you need.

Jeeze. Those are really nice. I was going to keep the fugue simple. Some snails? I would ultimately like to have mangroves and chateo. I think the mangrove roots with fishes being able to swim through them is too cool.

Will the rocks color up on there own based on time once I add the CUC? Should I be adding my CUC full blown next week?

What would you do? - for the main were strictly SPS.

Are you just ordering your snails on line, not going to the local fish store? Which ever you do when you get some snails look for coralline on their shells. Take a sharp knife and scrape the coralline off the shells into your display. This will spread spores in the tank and the coralline will spread that way. Takes a while for this to happen.

there's nothing wrong with simple. simple is simple. we like simple. simple is good.

but there are a couple different simples, depending on what you want out of the fuge. phyto, zoo, nutrient export... go read & think about the end goal. what will the goals needs be. then we can build around them. come on you all ready know this. you just haven't thought about it with the depth you will after sitting & focusing for ten min. your going for sps right. what are the things you nedd for them that can be met by the fuge. I'll give you a hint they eat what, what size does it need to be. if you don't know you else playing in the thread seems to have magic water for sps.

My LFS doesn't carry the ceriths. They have margaritas but I'm over watching them die in too hot of a tank. If I have some rock in my tank upstairs you think I should I use it for the coraline?

As for the fuge, nutrient export with a place for the pods to just hangout and sleep safely. Looking out for them you know how it is. I need pods for the SPS but I'm not too sure what your saying when you say "if you don't know you else playing in the thread seems to have magic water for SPS". Just diligent water upkeep?

Yes definitely take some rock from the other tank and scrape some coralline spores into the new tank. That will be a good start on getting into the tank.

meant ask henry for he is one with the blue water.

yeah the sps will need zooplankton, which feed off the phyto. think about adding some ulva if your ordering the mangroves from John. ideally the fuge will provide zones for the bugs to bread this can be cheato or other like habitats. some people suspend those green scrubbing pads so that they don't have to throw out the bugs when they trim the cheato. but the mangrove roots should help with this as well.

My other tank is like my red headed step child. No Love right now but I will see what I can get out of it.

So Ulva for the zoo and phyto? The order right now is:

2 Florida Ceriths or we can do more than 2 Dwarf Ceriths.

Ulva

Mangroves with leaves

Any thing I'm forgetting or something that I don't know if I can scoop it up yet.

Henry, Start formulating a list of some insane sticks?

:o The fun begins.

Everything I want is sold out. I'm going to make a drive either today or tomorrow to a far LFS. Last time I was there I picked up a borealis so now I'm thinking I can grab another little ORA frag to justify the ride.

Awesome, I needed a first hand source and eyes. I will definitely be checking them out on the regular. On your advice Henry I tried to scrap some coralline off. It was on a piece of branch that just wasn't that easy to have whole pieces fall off into the tank. So I just placed the piece of rock on the existing rock, is this OK or should I be removing that piece right away? I also put a small golf ball size amount of chaeto in my fuge, hopefully that wasn't an idiot move either.

You are not looking for much to scrape off. Just the very surface of coralline. What you are looking for is spores. To see them you would need a microscope.

Yup. Same place. Sunny and Jim. Great peeps.

Offered to go over with some homemade wine one day and shoot the bull. He responded.......

JimC

Site Sponsor

Hey....

Your on! Homemade wine sounds great.

Had a guy stay 5hrs last nite, another guy hour and half today...

I always tell people, you dont have to be buying anything to call and see what I'm doing....always up for talking reef and what not...

Funny I keep joking about doing that when I retire, to justify getting tank I want someday. It's nice to see when people actually pull of the pipe dream.

Yeah Jim has a few hundred gallon display up in his living then about a 100 gallon and some huge vats in the basement where all the grow out colonies and frags are. Many 250 watt halides running all over the place. Can't imagine his electric bill!!!

solar panels, those light tube thing's or a green house, has to be only way to go. when you've got that much to light. wow.

Archived