Innovative Marine Aquariums

bonese's 40b | revival

bonese

Here in Michigan not too far from me is a place called Tropicorium. Greenhouses full of large open tanks full of coral and rock. They bring things in from Florida trips they tank. They are wholesale and retail. Amazing place

jpgRaiseTropicorium4.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm going to run an ammonia, nitrate and phosphate test and I have to put that rock back in the other tank. That site I'll definitely be looking in too for more updates and if you say they are true to the pictures then it is impressive.

Still just the same algae and and I did scrap off the spores into the tank. Hopefully we can do something interesting by adding the snails next week as I'll order them tonight.

What should the order be from John?

So far I have:

2 Florida Ceriths -> This or More Dwarf Ceriths?

5 Sprouted Mangroves. -> Too many for such a young system?

Ulva.

Some Chaeto maybe.

Sounds alright for the start?

Talked to John. Can totally get the mangroves and everything from him so I will be placing the order tonight. I think I do have bryprosis. Do you guys suggest me to start dosing my or wait it out? Is m tank cycled? Haha

Hey bonese, Ive been following but dont remember how long youve been set up. When i transfered into my 40 I used dry rock and dead sand with a small amount of lr/ls to seed. After about 2 weeks I had an alge out break that looked like a cross between byropsis and hair. My cuc from john, went in a week later andd it took at least 10 days before I even noticed them doing anything to the tank. Then all of a sudden one day it was all gone. Hopefully its the same stuff.

IMAG0492.jpg

some of the alge was about an inch long and was on the sand bed and all of the new dry rock.

Keep doing a couple drops of the mb7. Then from there just let the tank do its thing. With the low level of organics in your tank it shouldn't take long to burn its self out. If you are going to dose the tank will have needed time to build a sufficient amount of bacteria first. This is also why you have to begin dosing at such a low amount. Even with a normal population the effect of dosing can over whelm a closed system. you can of course cheat & run the tank dark for the next week or two. It may delay the coralline algae but it will also kill off all the other algae. down side is the loss of phyto, but we can get that back. If need be.

See John just rocks.

Yeah I'm still adding the 3 drops of mb7 daily. I'm sitting waiting for it to do its thing now, I have to say the algae is pretty cool but I can't say that I'm getting any cyano or diatoms on my sandbed. Also I am not seeing any coralline but think thats due to it being SO young. I'm not concerned to much with the algae as I don't even have any snails in there yet to combat it. All in all I think were in good shape.

Whats new in the life of bitts and Spanko?

Still waiting to finalize the CUC options. I'm thinking of just ordering it based off of necessity. Nitrates are at 0 I believe and Ammonia is .025. What should the next step be? Still no diatoms on the sand or anywhere other than that one spot they started.

Next step is to wait for the ammonia to reach 0. Unfortunately. don't worry it will drop soon. I wouldn't hold off on ordering too long though. By the time you decide & place the order, wait for shipping & so forth. thing should be okay.

What are thinking of, for the order.

I'm using the API kit for ammonia. I'm running a test JUST FOR YOU Henry, Hah. I'll post the results when I get the pictures to my other computer. I may just be color blind.

I'm unsure as to what to order. Tell me something. Team effort.

I'm a fan of keeping it shallow. Personally like the look more. How's 5 astrae snails for this tank 3 ceriths 4 Nass. 5 mangroves and a thing of ulva?

My calcium is 400. I'm leaving that be...or should I dose and if do how much? I'm very excited to get ANY sort of life in the tank. I'm trying to make a run for the LFS however my weather situation is looking pretty bleak.

lol I hadn't ever noticed how much worse the weather out there was until recently. seems like every one is just having a hell of a time this season, while I'm still wearing shorts have the time. hope it warms up for you.

all sounds good just watch the astrae snails if they fall & get stuck you have to tip them back over. Assuming I'm thinking of the right one's.

I can't wait to see some monti & tabling acro in there, to give you some shelves to put clams on. That right column is just begging for some action.

On my way to the shop. I'm hoping that they do indeed have astrae snails. It seems up here we NEVER get them.

Thanks for the kind words DHR - Its only a matter of time and plans that it really becomes something to be proud of.

BITTS - I have your package shipping out on monday - I hope you enjoy DVD's as well. A little added bonus. I CAN'T wait for the SPS to be in here. It's going to need some coral placement planning.

Oh forgot to mention. I do not have any coralline on my rocks or walls. Should I be dosing Cal. and Alk? Too early?

Archived