Pod Your Reef

Friar's Pico

friar1

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

still watching your thread did you get the algae down, its been long enough (couple weeks) to know both if you eradicated it well enough, and if its coming back...

Well Brandon:

Still have algae. Had to leave town for a week. Wasn't able to do WC/Dosing.

I cannot find the lighter you recommended anywhere, so I am going to have to manually remove and starve away, which will take longer.

100% WC twice a week and pulling the algae out by hand is what I am up to now. Many people say this will take some time, i am patient and the corals are all loving the twice weekly water changes.

Also Dosing C-balance every other day, 1.5 ml parts A and B ten minutes apart. The Duncan seems to appreciate this and I am getting Coraline growth almost immediately.

I will post when the algae problem becomes less.

On the other hand, the new light bulb had a huge, positive affect on corals.

Friar

Look good so far.

The zoa seem to do better from the latest pic. :D

Yeah, the Zoa/paly loves the new light bulb, new polyp coming on the Paly now.

I am going to add some LEDs this month to my lighting this month, royal blue

Anyone have any experience buying zoas or other coral from people on Coral2Sell? Prices are pretty good.

Oh yeah I am also going to get some Chaeto this next month and stick it in the filter in the back, see what that does.

AS for GHA, DIE algae, DIE!

B)

Brandon:

Found a pencil butane torch, maybe I can use that to burn some of this away!

Have to wait for it to arrive though.

Friar

Brandon:

Found a pencil butane torch, maybe I can use that to burn some of this away!

Have to wait for it to arrive though.

Friar

+1,000 on burning it away -- also a sure fire method for Aptasia ;)

wannenmacher

tanks looking good man just have a question about the rick netting. do you put the netting over the rick you want to attach?

Thanks Newman! :)

Yeah, that's what I did, got some wedding netting from a fabric store, used a loose rubber band to hold it around the rock the little ric was on.

But I like the idea of putting a new ric in a dish or something in the tank, with live rock in the dish for it to attach to. then you can just put netting more securely over the top of the dish. Would not work for me since I have such a small tank and I didn't have a small enough dish. After a ric attaches to rock in the dish, you can then glue that rock where you want in your tank. Using the netting was a challenge for me anyway. But it worked.

Also, if the flow is low enough and the ric is big enough, you could just put it on rocks on the bottom of the tank, hope it attaches. The big ric was kinda done that way, I started with netting, which promptly came off, but the ric stayed where I had put it, until the rock fall haha.

On another note, I have noticed, my GHA dying off slowly. :happydance:

wannenmacher

Awesome that your GHA is dying off i had it in my 20l for about a month now and it is driving me INSANE!!!!

Thanks for the info about the dish always wondered what the small dishes were for.

So, Update:

My green hair algae problem, the algae is definitely dying off.

At the top of my rock, the algae there had a lot of bubbles in it, I read on another site that that could be a sign that the algae is dying, plus elsewhere in the tank it had already died.

Now, the algae at the top is almost dead, and the stuff in front, that was bugging me so much now has bubbles in it!

Dying!

Cool.

So to stop this outbreak, what I did was stop overfeeding (noob mistake). I actually stopped feeding altogether. and brought water changes to twice a week, 99 to 100% each time. Sounds drastic, I know, but the corals responded very positively to that cleaner water. The zoa now has a fourth little bud starting and the rics are opening more than ever.

There is a teeny, tiny, baby ric where the big one tore off the rock when I had a rock fall. It will be cool to see it grow out.

I am debating on leaving the pico methodology contest, since i want some more coral, but don't want to have to wait until January to get some more. I also have plans for a light addition, three Cree LEDs to supplement the PC's and for more fluorescence. I don't think I can get both more corals and the extra lights this month, money is tight right now, so.... We will see how it goes. I am planning on getting some cool looking zoas from someone online soon, but after that, I think I will have to wait for any more. School is starting in two weeks for my little girl and you know what that means! ;)

Anyway, enough rambling, the main reason for this post is an update on the GHA. Water Changes! Algae is dying!

Yay!

B)

Friar

I'm just trying to find out what would happen if I only hooked up 2, 3volt LEDs (The Cree XRE Royal Blues) to a Meanwell LPC-35-1050? Will it hurt the LEDS? Will it hurt the driver? Will it just not work? I can't tell from the literature provided with the driver.

Running three of the blues makes my ric shrink up, like it's too much light for him.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Friar

Got new Zoas

Very small compared to the RPE's but they look like they made it through the mail OK. Opening up nicely, will try for pictures tonight.

that lighter will work just fine Friar also Id offer to fedex you mine and you can send it back anytime you are done shouldn't cost but maybe 7 bucks each way or so no biggie if you ever need it. its like buying a buddy a hamburger lol

feel free to drain the tank and stick the fire in there don't bother removing stuff it won't hurt. any light tissue areas you singe will grow back on the coral sides, it doesn't start total recession or anything I burned an acan head rather substantially it was warped for a while now good as new.

feel free to drain the tank and stick the fire in there don't bother removing stuff it won't hurt. any light tissue areas you singe will grow back on the coral sides, it doesn't start total recession or anything I burned an acan head rather substantially it was warped for a while now good as new.

Yeah, I got a good torch, pencil type, blue flame. I have already used it up top, it worked rather well. Going to use it in the bottom this next WC.

But as an aside, the Water changes are really helping to kill off the algae. Most f it that was up top is dead, there is a good die off in the bottom, but I think the stuff that is dying off is feeding a little regrowth so i am using the torch next WC.

They look nice! whats their "name"? :P

Thanks racechase. Their "name", I am told, is "Miami Vice" They look cool under Royal Blue LED's but I am leaving those off for now until they acclimate to their current position in the tank.

Friar

Well, 100% water change today. Pulled off some algae before, burned some algae during. Got a lot off. Water smells pure now. Should be able to starve the rest out. FTS, still with some algae, after corals are less stressed.

Friar

Archived